• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghanistan: Why we should be there (or not), how to conduct the mission (or not) & when to leave

And doubtless Kandahars warlords provincial leadership are grateful for the contributions to their bank accounts.  Keep it coming!!

GAP said:
Life as a Canadian soldier in Afghanistan

Remember the 9-11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center back in September of 2001? Well, in response to these attacks, the president of the United States launched an invasion of Afghanistan to capture Osama bin Laden, the terrorist leader that was behind the Sept. 11 attacks. And then, in January of 2002, Canadian troops were sent to Afghanistan to perform a peacekeeping mission. Yeah, that's right, a peacekeeping mission. That was what we were sent there for.
I love revisionist history.  Enough said.

My son was KIA on 3 Sep 2008 in the Zhari district. I resent this article, using the 108 fallen soldiers plus the diplomat and two aid workers who were MURDERED to score cheap points.

He does, however, have the right to his opinions, as well over 100,000 of our citizens have DIED defending that right.

I hope his uncle reads that piece and gives his nephew a smack in the head.

Revisionist at best...pretty much tripe.

Maybe I should look his uncle up...     

Regards

So are we at the point where we just laugh at these idiots and carry on?  I'll go first.

Hahahaha, ha hahahahaha hahah haha ha.  No.

I hate the fact that those who are not willing to fight for those that can't defend themselves (Afhgan girls who are beaten if they go to school) from cowards (taliban) make comments like this artilce.

I currently live in Kentucky USA and the troops in my state are deployeed more then any other state. I have many friends in the USA Army that have been to Iraq and Afghanistian a number of times and not one tells me they would not go again or do they worry about getting killed. Yes they realize that it is dangerous and they might die but to them it is worth it to serve their country and help those that ca't defend themselves.

If you go to youtube and put in the taliban and watch some of video about them. It will make you sick. I have my second child due March 23 and since the US has health care through employers I must wait till then before I can join the CF. As soon as my son is born my family and I are moving back to Canada and I'm joining the Canadian Army God willing. I actually hope we stay in Afghanistan so I can get deployed there. Will  I be afraid I might get hit with and IED? Maybe yes but I willing to sacrife my life if I have to. People who are in or people like myself have considered the possiblity of death and chose to join anyways. I have 2 uncles now retired from the Canadian Air Force and when I ask about what was the best time in their 20+ year careers one says Bosnia the other Desert Storm go figure.

Yes I think the ucle would smack him in the head or do worse. I will disown any family member who says something like this.

I am thanksful for all members past and present of the CF. My God be with you :cdn:

jp86 said:
Aww, ease up, guys.  It looks like Brennan Cruse is around 10 or 11 years old.  The kid is worried about his uncle.  Let's not get too worked up about it.

That is what I suspected/hoped. I bet the kids mind will change when his uncle comes home. My niece was concerned/critical of the mission when I was over but now that I am back its totally off the radar screen.

My question is how did Brennan (3 or 4 years old at the time) formulate the idea that the 3VP Battle Group going into Afghanistan in 2002 was part of a peacekeeping mission?  ???

Good2Golf said:
My question is how did Brennan (3 or 4 years old at the time) formulate the idea that the 3VP Battle Group going into Afghanistan in 2002 was part of a peacekeeping mission?  ???

Oh why a newspaper is publishing articles written by children and not ensuring readers are aware of the age of the writer. I'm sure this will be passed off as yet another 'example' of 'disapproval of the war' without realising that it was written by a child with even less SA about the world around him (and compared to your average Canadian, it drops into the negatives).

I sure love how people who disagree with the politics behind the missions always feel the have the right to speak for the poor soldier who doesnt want to be there or don't know why they're fighting.

Whatever. I doubt this young person formulated these ideas on his own; his parents likely heavily influenced his version of history and his misconceived understanding of our overall mission. Sometimes people will do anything to get their 15 minutes of fame.

I had to read it twice to figure out that it wasn't written from the field by a Canadian soldier, as the title would suggest. Yeah, a little context in the form of a preface and a lot of editing is needed.

For some reason it reminds me of a time I was informed that there was no need for anyone to have a military because there were no aliens invading from space...

You can say it needs alot of editing all you want...... I think it is an incredibly eloquent piece to be written by a 10 or 11 year old. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with it, but I give credit to such a young lad for being able to put together such a well written piece. Now it begs the question..... is it written by an elder and passed off as his thoughts and opinions? Curious to know. And if it is the lads own piece.... very impressive that such a young man could even have such a well versed opinion. My .02 anyhow.

It's a little too eloquent for a 10-11 year old.  Especially one who's gone through reading recovery.  My opinion; someone else wrote that and smacked the kids name on it. 

RC, it certainly gives one pause for thought; not that there aren't children out there who are rather eloquent for their age.  Brennan is the son of an elementary school teacher, so it stands to reason that he could have developed relatively good grammar and sentence structure since Canada deployed initially to Afghanistan on that "peacekeeping" mission...can't help but think of those science fair projects, however, where the kid stands there pretty much unable to describe how he or she built it.  ;)

Alright, I admit it, while I certainly didn't think it was perfect, I definitely didn't see it coming that it was written by a kid.  My wife is a teacher and has been going on for some time about the virtues of Reading Recovery which only about one or two kids have access to in each class.  That's the real story here - how well the program works and how it should be available to more kids  (although that is not a topic for this site).  In any case, she is thinking of showing some of here colleagues this thread and how this kid previously "at risk" was able to do well enough to spark a reaction from us.  Then again, it really isn't that hard to get a reaction from members of this site.  ;)

A post at The Torch:

AfPak: What the US troop increase means/Pak success?
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2009/03/afpak-what-us-troop-increase-meanspak.html

Mark
Ottawa

Well, upon learning that it was authored by a 10 year old, I was rather stunned. How can such a young lad have such well written views on the war in Afghanistan? Hence my initial post on this thread expressing concern for if the true author is using this youth as a nom de plume....... I am leaning towards that notion. The piece is just too well written to have come from such a young man..... at the same time, I could be wrong and this fellow could be a child prodigy with writing.....

Back