• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits - Reserves

Ah so true.

Inspection time still has to be the most fun for this, one fellow will blurt out something about x should be facing y way and z should be on top of x or whatever, half the group will hear this, take it as gospel and they start changing things.  Someone will finally catch it, blurt out another statement and then the other half will start changing to this while the original half will come up with a totally new way of doing it.  All the while the Instructors have indicated to said group to follow a particular example at the front...  chaos theory at it's finest.

I still wonder how the Instructors manage to keep their sanity after a day of this, they certainly earned my respect in that area!

I can't see BMQ being too hard for an older person.  I was on course with a guy, he is now on my base, he went thru at 48 I have a ton of respect for him doing that at that age.  Mind you, he ages out in 11 years.  During PT on course, he was in the gazelle section for running.  Made the 19 year olds look like poop.  Then again, so did I, having to pull guys up! 

Good Luck to you and don't sweat it, or better yet, sweat it, get better and make those young pups wish they were as good as you!!
"Old age and treachary will always outlast youth and exuberance."
:salute:

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself as a new member of the site.  I am a 36 year old male who is about to apply to join the reserves.  The reason?  It's time for a new challenge and to test myself.  I am certainly older than most recruits but I still feel I have something to offer my country and it is time to get moving.

This site is an excellent resource and I plan to take full advantage of the knowledge that is contained within this site.  Are there any other "older" CF members out there that may have joined a bit later in life that can relate their experiences good and bad?  I know for a fact I didn't have what it takes when I was younger and foolish but now I know I do have what it takes.

Anyway, thanks for reading this.

Scott  :cdn:

I had a guy on my reserve BMQ that was 54...He was limping after the first week but he soldiered on and made it through...If you going to do it just get yourself in the best possible shape you can before you go and you'll be fine...

Hey bud,
            welcome to site. I"ve been on this site I believe since 2005 and it is a great site for chit-chat. As for the age.. I am a young lad, but there are some "wiser" folks out there. Just keep your eye out.

Cheers,
TN2IC

do you think they should raise the age limit to get into the reserves to 18, The sgt on my course was of that opinion.

FU...

Nothing wrong with having the enrollment date below age 18.

1.  Needs parental consent - not a problem

2.  If same said young adult decides on the 1st weekend of trg that the army is not for him - then he will have taken his 1st decision as an adult.

3.  Troops are not eligible to deploy before they reach that age.... but here again, they have approx one year of training to go thru before that happens anyways...

4.  People do some wild and crazy things as they approach that magic limit "abracadabra, you're an adult"... I can think of no better way of surrounding them with friends and some controls - so no one gets terribly hurt in the process.

Uhhh.... hope your sgt wasn't talking about you - was he? (jk)

BTW - I joined when I was 16.... had a blast for the last 35+ years - still counting...
Trained young recruits ad nauseum - 16/17 yrs old is plenty old enough to start training them.

woo! I'm 17 and off to the reserves this summer for basic...My mom's bf said he had talked to one of the captains at CFRC hamilton the other day and that the captain had stated that I was in for the navy and off to borden...I want the army and I believe i've made it perfectly clear to them of my choice...Is borden strictly navy? or do they carry out army & airforce....or at least army?

Anyway, my recruiting proccess was hectic! I was caught in the cracks [change of system] which almost ruined my chances of getting in if I had not gone down to the CFRC to ask them "what in the lord's name is going on?"...had to re-write cfat [did amazing the second time around...first time was 10 days prior]...PLUS I had the onslaught of friends who are attempting to persuade me to not go [it's our grad year, we graduate in june, i wont see them this summer...when I get back they'll all be off in university...i guess they want me around this summer]

But after all that trouble, I still managed to get my stuff in order, and ignore those rants of how "the army is bad...you'll die in war"....pfft.

I think they're jealous because I have my life, in what is hopefully, order.

:cdn:

Brett said:
woo! I'm 17 and off to the reserves this summer for basic...My mom's bf said he had talked to one of the captains at CFRC hamilton the other day and that the captain had stated that I was in for the navy and off to borden...I want the army and I believe i've made it perfectly clear to them of my choice...Is borden strictly navy? or do they carry out army & airforce....or at least army?

Anyway, my recruiting proccess was hectic! I was caught in the cracks [change of system] which almost ruined my chances of getting in if I had not gone down to the CFRC to ask them "what in the lord's name is going on?"...had to re-write cfat [did amazing the second time around...first time was 10 days prior]...PLUS I had the onslaught of friends who are attempting to persuade me to not go [it's our grad year, we graduate in june, i wont see them this summer...when I get back they'll all be off in university...i guess they want me around this summer]

But after all that trouble, I still managed to get my stuff in order, and ignore those rants of how "the army is bad...you'll die in war"....pfft.

I think they're jealous because I have my life, in what is hopefully, order.

:cdn:

If you went to the RHLI HQ and did your recruitment there, I don't see how you could be "in for the navy".

I'll also assume you want to be an infanteer at this point? For the summer anyway?

In regards to it being your grad year... the fact is you wouldn't see many of them anyway. Last summer before university people generally work like crazy to earn some $$.

I mean like any job, you would make time outside of it to hang out with a few close friends, your best friends. But.. as for the majority of your graduating class.. you are very infrequently going to cross paths in the future... that's what I've found anyway.

I actually did my recruiting with the royal hamilton light infantry..i contacted cfrc hamilton because COdt Coomber [i think :| ] told me 2 weeks before I recieved any phone call...a month later i called cfrc and asked them whats up...they said i was caught in the cracks because they changed systems or something..

oh, there was a trip planned by two of my friends to go down south for 2 weeks...theres about 5 of us in the group that are really close...3 work at the same place...so they're upset i wont be there because that will be the last time they ever see each other...

it's true though...when my dad finished university, he didnt see or speak to hardly anyone he went to university with...except for one who happens to be his neighbour 25 years down the road.

same thing with highschool.

Hello everyone.I came in this forum to get some answers about joining the reserve when your still very young;16 for me.I am kind of scared of what will occur because of this.I've already made the army cadets and I did a 6 week course where you go in woods and stuff in Valcartier base.I wanted to know if this kind of things can help me to prepare myself of joining.I am in pretty good physical shape and I enjoy doing sports.It's not the physical part of the challenge who scares me the most,it's the psychological part because I'm young.I am going to pass my first test to join the reserve and I came here to be answered about what worries me before joining.I've also wanted to know if you can have instructions courses like BMQ in your first language(french for me).

Thanks for your help.

Welcome!

Before the site mods declare war on you, I'll direct your attention to the search feature. You'll find all sorts of stuff about fitness, administrative stuff, and what you'll experience on your first course or two. Army cadets should have given you an idea, so do your research and good luck!

Benny

PS- Check out this thread for starters. http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/21101.0.html

Hello Everyone;

This is one of my first posts on this website, as I have gone through the site quite thoroughly and read a lot of articles.

I have had a long standing yearn to join the military, but with a wife and job (albeit a lousy job) I figure the best chance I have is to join the Lincoln and Welland Regiment reserves.

I am 31 years old and overweight, although I don't really have any health problems. I'm also working to get the last credit I need to have enough high school credits to join-up. I have a college degree in Police Foundations.

My question to the forum is: Am I too old to join the reserves?

I realise I meet the age criteria, but I want a more humanistic answer such as its a bad idea, I'll get a sh*itkicking from the younger guys, you'll fit right in, don't be stupid, follow your dream, or perhaps you've bitten off more than you could ever chew...

Cheers,
Wolfmaan
:skull:

I've already searched in the 10th first pages and I didnt find anything about joining when your still young.I'm gonna search for having instruction in first language right now.

Thanks.

The only thing you'll find about joining age is the minimum (which is 16 for the reserves, if I remember correctly.) You won't find anything about psychological differences between recruits of different age. Don't worry, your basic will be hard, and then you'll learn and adapt and be better for it. If anything, I would say its easier for some young people to adjust to a new lifestyle than an older person who is already established with job/family, as it would be less of a culture shock.

You can take your courses in either of our two official languages.  :salute: :cdn:

MeunierConsole01 said:
Hello everyone.I came in this forum to get some answers about joining the reserve when your still very young;16 for me.I am kind of scared of what will occur because of this.I've already made the army cadets and I did a 6 week course where you go in woods and stuff in Valcartier base.I wanted to know if this kind of things can help me to prepare myself of joining.I am in pretty good physical shape and I enjoy doing sports.It's not the physical part of the challenge who scares me the most,it's the psychological part because I'm young.I am going to pass my first test to join the reserve and I came here to be answered about what worries me before joining.I've also wanted to know if you can have instructions courses like BMQ in your first language(french for me).

Thanks for your help.

Try to think about it in this context. You are not the first 16 year old to join, you won't be the last.

More than likely there will be another recruit your age there as well. You are not alone.

As for instruction in your primary language, ask your recruiter. They will know the answer.

This thread is locked.

PM the member if you have anything to add.

MeunierConsole01...... Every question you want answered is in the thread quoted above.

The Army.ca Staff

Compulsory release age = 60
Soo... at 31 you are certainly not too old

However, we do have what is called "universality of service"
so you have to be Medicaly & physicaly "fit".

Well by overweight do you mean a little or a lot? http://www.recruiting.forces.ca/media/pdf/physical_fitness_en.pdf

I was 24 when I joined the reserves and 26 when  I joined the Reg force. If you want someone to hold your hand ... perhaps this might not be the correct decision for you ... but if you are interested in being part of something larger than yourself ... try it out! 31 is not too old. what you get out of your service to Canada far exceeds what you put into it.

My single regret is that I did not join when I was 18!

Back