• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits to Join

• Thread starter max_francis
  • Start date
I'm 30 and just re-enlisted, whippersnapper.

Seriously, this is a silly question when you think about it.  Assuming quite a few troops join at 18 and retire after 20 years' service, you can expect to find many a 29 year old in uniform.  Add to that the one army, one standard model.  Those other 29 year olds will have to meet and maintain the same standards any similarly-aged recruit will.

big bad john said:
Look at Hot Lips! 

I try but she keeps closing the blinds.  ;)

Yah I had a man in his early 50s do basic with me. He kept up with everyone no matter what. Great source of motivation.

career_radio-checker said:
I try but she keeps closing the blinds.  ;)

Yah I had a man in his early 50s do basic with me. He kept up with everyone no matter what. Great source of motivation.

Actually that was me.  ;D

Yup, Hot Lip's is 37 and in Week 3 of IAP as we speak, got a SITREP from her the last 2 nights and things are well.

Its not how old you are that will limit your desire/ability to serve.  Thats something on the inside.

I'm 32 next week and starting my QL3 at the end of the month...age hasn't been a factor yet...

Shamrock said:
I'm 30 and just re-enlisted, whippersnapper.

Seriously, this is a silly question when you think about it.  Assuming quite a few troops join at 18 and retire after 20 years' service, you can expect to find many a 29 year old in uniform.  Add to that the one army, one standard model.  Those other 29 year olds will have to meet and maintain the same standards any similarly-aged recruit will.

...And I did come off a bit heavy handed, maybe.  If you read even the first or last THREE pages of this thread, you'd see that a thousand variations on the exact same question have been asked, AND answered.  Army guys (especially old ones) are not known for happily doing work that isn't theirs, including digging up info that is plentiful and accessible.  If you decide to join, a thicker skin is one of the first requirements.

Patrick H. said:
Age is not as important as Attitude.
That is possibly the best thing over all. If you are snotty to people during training, your gone.

I don't think age is really a factor. I think determination and what you really want to join the army for is what truely counts.
If you wish to learn, experience and serve your country .... then you're doing the right thing by joinning.
Just make sure you talk to a few person before making your finale decision. So you will at least know what you're getting into.
The good and the bad :)

Not everyone is suited to become a member of my family.
We have a very big family.
We trust each other with our lives.
Whoever is next to you is your brother or sister and you treat them as such.
You don't leave the side of your brother or sister no matter what.
You must be able to practice what others preach.
You do as you are told and you don't complain.
You must be able to work long hours and when you are about to drop,work more hours.
You respect every member of your family.
We are the only family that is tasked to defend our country.
We are the family that will always be on the front line.
We are a FAMILY.
Not everyone is suited, are you.

GUNS said:
Not everyone is suited to become a member of my family.
We have a very big family.
We trust each other with our lives.
Whoever is next to you is your brother or sister and you treat them as such.
You don't leave the side of your brother or sister no matter what.
You must be able to practice what others preach.
You do as you are told and you don't complain.
You must be able to work long hours and when you are about to drop,work more hours.
You respect every member of your family.
We are the only family that is tasked to defend our country.
We are the family that will always be on the front line.
We are a FAMILY.
Not everyone is suited, are you.

Of the 23 pages devoted to this thread, I believe this says it best

+1

I am 30 yrs old, I had my birthday in Feb; I am a soon to be recruit and have been thinking of it longer than I have acted on it. I am glad to see that there is a good mix of different ages. It gives some encouragement!

Rebecca

Proudnurse, don't let your age be the main factor in deciding if you will join up.

I was 52 when I joined the Reserves. When I was accepted for the Reserves, the Recruiting Office asked me to go Reg. Force.  If the military can use your skills and you are of sound mind and body, they will enlist you.

Best of luck

Not too sure where to put this, Mods feel free to move this around.

I'm wondering if there are many mature recruits going into Cbt Arms. I'm talking 40's or 50's. I have heard of many CSS or operator type personnel enlisting at mature ages, but Cbt Arms was new to me.

I was at the Veterans memorial parade in Toronto and eyeballing the troops when I noticed a couple of older (mid 40's maybe) very junior NCM's in the ranks. At least one seemed to be a private in a Cbt Arms trade - I could be wrong. I got curious, wish I could have spoken with them.

Age should not be a factor as everyone else is saying so long as you can keep up physically and can comply and follow through with orders.  Some more mature fellows might be more reluctant to take orders from staff young enough to be their children.

I had one individual on my course last year that was in his 50's, and he passed.  He is now parading with our unit as a private.

All the best,

Cheers

Juvat said:
Age should not be a factor as everyone else is saying so long as you can keep up physically and can comply and follow through with orders.  Some more mature fellows might be more reluctant to take orders from staff young enough to be their children.

I had one individual on my course last year that was in his 50's, and he passed.  He is now parading with our unit as a private.

All the best,

Cheers

Thanks for the response. BZ to the guy in your unit. I was more thinking about interest, if there were many older applicants for such a physically demanding end of the CF.

Your right about the ability to keep up. I'd be more concerned about the ability to "bounce back" from the punishment of being in the field then say being able to run 10K or ruck for a day. When much younger I dug a few trenches and humped a few rucks, so I know the body can get really abused in the infantry. The ability to recover from this is entirely different between, say, 20 and 50. I was thinking the "service life" of a 50 year old rifleman or sapper might be kind of short even if fit. That's one reason I never reconsidered Combat Arms, I didn't want to end up a liabilty to my unit. It may not be so much a concern for, say, a CSS trade. But I've been wrong before.

geo said:
I know of one particular guy, was a Sgt, para qual, yada, yada.... got out & some dozen years later showed up on his old unit's doorstep looking to get in again... He dropped the lard (+/-50 Lbs) over the summer and started back at the bottom of the pile with a bunch of young 'uns. Instructors were somewhat skeptical @ 1st - didn't like "teaching" someone who had been their Sgt but he persisted, played the game and was a team builder on the course.  He kept up with the PT, he showed troops how to pace themselves.... didn't get "best candidate" but was No 1 in my books......
Oh yeah - 5 yrws later - he's still in.
awesome. That's the kinda guy that makes you glad to be in.

Back