• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits to Join

• Thread starter max_francis
  • Start date
.... funny thing is that, to those that knew him then, he hasn't shaken his old nickname "sonny"
The new kids on the block were calling him "gramps" ... they gagged when they started hearing him being called "sonny"
:)

We had a guy back in 3VP who had retired and re-joined.  When he got back in his son was a Sgt!  His dad then re-retired a few years later at mandatory retirement age as a Mcpl.  I think he was a Sgt the first time.  Some folks around these parts may know who I'm talking about so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, I finally did it and will be starting my BMQ on Nov. 6.  It's gonna be tough because I'm 29 years old and pretty much outta shape.  I'll get through it though.  Apparently I did well on the aptitude test because the recruiters thought I might want to consider another trade other then the Infantry as I qualified for whatever I chose.  Infantry is what I want though.

Anyway, I'll look around here as much as I can (a little tough on my current 28.8k connection) and pick up what info I can.  But if anybody's got any advice for a grey haired recruit, lemme know.

Sounds alot like my story....lol except I'm only 28....lol I've been running my butt off though for the last month, I have about 3 weeks to go and I already feel pretty comfortable with my cardio(going by what I've read on this site). They actually tried to talk my out of infantry also because my score was alittle higher then what I needed(wouldn't tell me what it was though) but my first choice was infantry that's what I wanted and that's what I got.(people tell me I'll regret it later, but I don't care) I'll give it a go anyway.

Mayhem911 said:
Sounds alot like my story....lol except I'm only 28....lol I've been running my butt off though for the last month, I have about 3 weeks to go and I already feel pretty comfortable with my cardio(going by what I've read on this site). They actually tried to talk my out of infantry also because my score was alittle higher then what I needed(wouldn't tell me what it was though) but my first choice was infantry that's what I wanted and that's what I got.(people tell me I'll regret it later, but I don't care) I'll give it a go anyway.

Heh, ya.  They tried to talk me out of it too somewhat becasue of my test score.  I've also heard from some people I will regret the Infantry, but aslo like you, will give it a go.

I havn't been running though.  Just trying to enjoy my last month of freedom.  Don't have much time between work and other stuff going on either.

Trust me.....I don't have too many spare hours in a day either(especially with the "woman" trying to get as much time in as possible) but I'd rather feel most of the pain here while I can so that things might be a little more smooth over there. That way I can just consentrate on keeping other things in order. The less things I give them to yell at me about the better, I know its coming regardless but less is allways better ya know...lol

Assuming quite a few troops join at 18 and retire after 20 years' service, you can expect to find many a 29 year old in uniform.  Add to that the one army, one standard model.  Those other 29 year olds will have to meet and maintain the same standards any similarly-aged recruit will.

Shamrock....
20 yrs service is now 25 yrs of service.

I've cut and pasted that thing about five times, and NOW you correct me?!

I've lied to so many!

i have mentioned this befor it does not matter what your age is as long as you can do the job

Harry.... I keep saying that to all the young 'uns

Absolutely true that it does not matter how old you are as long as you can do the job. But, and it is a big but, The age in your face creates a huge credibility issue, especially in first impressions or with people with a shallow depth of experience. ( dare I say more youthful people)

Whatever your job is, your peers and superiors will not only judge you by your ability but also by your age. You will be expected to have the maturity of your age and experience and the physical capabilty and mental alertness of youth. Weakness or mistakes will not be tolerated or forgiven quite so easily as when you were younger.

I'm currently on course with a 40 y/o who's going Infantry (along with the rest of the course).

I'm almost 30 and there are 4-5 guys older then me.

And you thought you'd be the old fart? :)

Hey.... at 40, he can still serve 15-20 and earn a fairly decent pension out of the deal...

Interesting bit of history...

The average age of an American combat soldier in WWII was 26 yrs.  The average age in Vietnam was 19!

Generally, the average age of soldiers in voluteer-based (or professional) militaries is considerably higher than conscription forces (for obvious reasons).  For the guys joining in their mid-to-late 20s... you're actually starting to become the norm.  When you look throughout the rest of history... younger soldiers were never usually considered to be the highest quality.. it was the older, more experienced soldiers that created the back-bone of the force.

Well how about this one?  I recently read a CF published article (can't quite remember the exact one) and the median age of the CF is 38.  Baby-Boomers unite!!  :cdnsalute:
(Yeah I know us boomers are a little older than that but meh.)

Zook said:
younger soldiers were never usually considered to be the highest quality.. it was the older, more experienced soldiers that created the back-bone of the force.
I am high quality, and polished to a high, streak free shine :D Young people unite!!!  :cdnsalute:  ;D

Michael Baker said:
I am high quality, and polished to a high, streak free shine :D Young people unite!!!  :cdnsalute:   ;D

Frackin Cadets!   ;D

Couldn't resist Michael.  Sorry.  ;)

Michael Baker said:
I am high quality, and polished to a high, streak free shine :D Young people unite!!!  :cdnsalute:   ;D

Would I be safe in assuming that you are the product of a boomer?  If so you would naturally be well turned out eh?
;)

Back