• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ahmadinejad Speaks at Columbia University

foo32

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm sure this one will be flogged absolutely to death in the media, but if you live under a rock here is some "fair and balanced" coverage.  ;D

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,297621,00.html

Personally, I'm astonished that so many Americans seem to have (already) been whipped into such a fury that they protest against the basic ideals of their own country -- that is the right to free speech.  I hope it is just a vocal minority.  It is credit that he was ultimately allowed to speak.

It certainly makes it clear that Ahmadinejad is rapidly losing the option to climb down on the nuclear issue to avoid war (if he hasn't already). He clearly doesn't want to fight and is trying to project that message,  but he just isn't reading the American mood very well at all. IMHO, if he has any sense, he'll climb down real fast and start digging for all he is worth.

Or the other option may be that the people in the US are buying not Ahmadinejad's brand of BS, and are judging him on his actions not his rhetoric.

GAP said:
Or the other option may be that the people in the US are buying not Ahmadinejad's brand of BS, and are judging him on his actions not his rhetoric.

Absolutely. I'd like to think that was never a danger though. His speech certainly emphasises that he is completely full of sh*t, but how far out on the left wing does one have to be not to have smelled that coming before he spoke.  I still strongly agree with allowing him to speak -- just as I support the right to make fun of what he said afterwards.

foo32 said:
just as I support the right to make fun of what he said afterwards.

;D

The issue I have with letting him speak is similar to letting Hitler take the podium as well -- It will get used across the world as a PR stunt.  teh same with his crap about wanting to lay a wreath at Ground Zero, IMHO actions speak louder than words - and for him to have ANY credibility he needs to STOP supporting terrorism, and stop sending weapons and trainers into Iraq and Afghanistan.

Plus there are a lot of stupid people across the world that will buy into his tripe.

Curious to hear about anyone's opinion on his speech at Columbia U. Alot of rhetoric but if you've read or heard him before it was a definite departure from his past views but still consistent with the current  Iranian political ideology. Interesting to see if there are any takers to visit the universities in Iran. IMHO I thought he was polite, well-spoken and knowledgeable.

ZBM2 K

I don't support free speech for those who take it away from others through force which is what happens in Iran and several other countries. I won't forget so soon that they beat to death a Canadian reporter and then attempted to and were largely successful in covering it up. Just like any country without a free press what you read in Iran's papers is a facade and bears little relation to reality. It's hard enough to get reality when there is a free press and impossible when there isn't. Letting somebody do nothing but speak about the such a facade is to me the antithis of being a champion of free speech.

I watched it on ya, FOX, and what a mess.

I am sure all that negative press in the US will be funnelled by AJ, to the arab world, fueling more hatred.

Oh boy.

Happy days,

Wes

This guy is a cancer like his clerical masters and we all know what we do with a cancer. YOU NUKE IT!!

Actually, I think the President of Columbia may have done President Bush a solid on this one.  

For starters the Columbia's Presidenet got an opportunity to rip Ahmadinejad a new one live and in person on international television.  Then he got to sit back and watch the Ahmadinejad Follies as he comes out with startling observations as "Queer Iranians?....Not in my Iran".

Interesting that this was arranged by a member of faculty without clearing it with any higher. ( http://www.nysun.com/article/40142?page_no=2 )

More interesting that Ahmadinejad got to speak at the same campus he was banned at.  More Bureaucrats-in-Training.  Double-speak at its finest.  At the same time this makes for an interesting contrast to the UVSS kafuffle over the Canadian Forces recruiting.  At UVSS "The Guardians" want to keep the student body free of contaminating influences and suppress freedom of speech and association.  At Columbia "The Guardians" (many of whom I suspect wanted to give Mahmoud a platform to bash George) seem inclined to invite any body so long as he or she spouts the "Truth".  Right wingers need not apply  (http://lonewacko.com/blog/archives/007074.html ) .

I do so love what universities are doing these days.  We have come such a long way from the days we debated the number of angels dancing on a pinhead.  Now we just invite the pinheads to speak for themselves.  So long as they speak "The Truth".

Ahmadinejad gets rough welcome
NAHAL TOOSI

Associated Press

September 24, 2007 at 5:29 PM EDT

New York — Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad took the stage at Columbia University to a blistering welcome from the president of the school, who said the hard-line leader behaved like “a petty and cruel dictator.”

Mr. Ahmadinejad smiled as Columbia President Lee Bollinger took him to task over Iran's human-rights record and foreign policy, and Mr. Ahmadinejad's statements denying the Holocaust and calling for the disappearance of Israel.

“Mr. President, you exhibit all the signs of a petty and cruel dictator,” Mr. Bollinger said, to loud applause.

He said Mr. Ahmadinejad's denial of the Holocaust might fool the illiterate and ignorant.

“When you come to a place like this it makes you simply ridiculous,” Mr. Bollinger said. “The truth is that the Holocaust is the most documented event in human history.”

Mr. Ahmadinejad rose, also to applause, and after a religious invocation, said Mr. Bollinger's opening was “an insult to information and the knowledge of the audience here.”

“There were insults and claims that were incorrect, regretfully,” Mr. Ahmadinejad said, accusing Mr. Bollinger of offering “unfriendly treatment” under the influence of the U.S. press and politicians.

The Iranian president is in New York to attend the UN General Assembly. Protesters gathered outside the United Nations and Columbia University to protest his appearance.

Earlier Monday, Mr. Ahmadinejad defended the policies of his government before a National Press Club audience.

“People in Iran are very joyous, happy people,” he said when questioned about the arrests of students, journalists and women. “They're very free in expressing what they think.”

He said women in Iran were “the freest women in the world ... They're active in every level of society.”

Human rights activists inside and outside Iran have decried a recent wave of arrests of people calling for political and legal reforms of the Iranian theocratic system. Mr. Ahmadinejad said those complaints were baseless, and denied knowing about any detention or harsh punishments of reformists.

“The people who give this information should see what is the truth and disseminate what is correct,” he said. “I invite everyone in this session to come and visit Iran for themselves.”

Tensions are high between Washington and Tehran over U.S. accusations that Iran is secretly trying to develop nuclear weapons, as well as helping Shiite militias in Iraq that target U.S. troops — claims Iran denies.

Thousands of people jammed two blocks across from the United Nations to protest Mr. Ahmadinejad's visit to New York. Organizers claimed a turnout of tens of thousands. Police did not immediately have a crowd estimate.

The speakers, most of them politicians and officials from Jewish organizations, proclaimed their support for Israel and criticized the Iranian leader for his remarks questioning the Holocaust.

“We're here today to send a message that there is never a reason to give a hatemonger an open stage,” New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn said.

The Iranian leader has previously called the Holocaust “a myth” and called for Israel to be “wiped off the map.”

Mr. Ahmadinejad told the National Press Club that his questioning of the Holocaust was based on his concern that it was used to justify Israeli oppression of the Palestinians.

“Granted that the Holocaust is a reality ... Why is it that the Palestinian people should be displaced?” he said. “Why are they paying the damage by giving up their land?”

Before leaving Iran, Mr. Ahmadinejad said the American people have been denied “correct information,” and his visit would give them a chance to hear a different voice, the official IRNA news agency reported.

Mr. Ahmadinejad has appealed to the American people before, distinguishing between the population and their government. Recently, he told a television show that Iran wants peace and friendship with America. Since coming to power in 2005, Mr. Ahmadinejad also has sent letters to the American people criticizing President George W. Bush's Mideast policies.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070924.wahmadinejad-interv0924/BNStory/International/home

Thank you for your replies to this post.
I understand, appreciate and welcome your diverse opinions.  That s also why I want to see Iran. Where it is not acceptable to disagree.
I'd accept his offer to visit and invitation to meet and speak with Iranian University students. It would be an unparalleled learning experience and opportunity to see the real truth. Anyone else think so? Any Iranians weigh in on this topic?

ZBM2 said:
I'd accept his offer to visit and invitation to meet and speak with Iranian University students. It would be an unparalleled learning experience and opportunity to see the real truth. Anyone else think so? Any Iranians weigh in on this topic?

I chatted with some Arab students (I'm not sure of the exact nationality) on the campus of my university some years back.  The world view they expressed was jaw-dropping -- scary ideas of wild Jewish conspiracies that control the world (and the USA in particular).  At the time, I was floored that anyone would believe such stuff (it mirrored 3rd Reich propaganda),  but I've since been informed these views are actually pretty common in various Middle-Eastern countries.  After that, I figured I don't really care to know what the 'uneducated' segment of their populations believe.  IMHO, good-will and mutual understanding is not going to reach that area of the world anytime soon.

I agree the mind-set is skewed. I want to know what an open minded person could expect to experience in the Islamic Republic of Iran while visiting Iranian Universities. 

ZBM2 said:
I agree the mind-set is skewed. I want to know what an open minded person could expect to experience in the Islamic Republic of Iran while visiting Iranian Universities. 

Male or female? The experience would be radically different for each.

GAP said:
Male or female? The experience would be radically different for each.

Good point. I would imagine your religion (or lack of one) would also affect your experience -- most particularly if you happen to be identifiably Jewish.

I laughed at the part where he said 'we have no homosexuals in Iran'.

The crowd laughed also.

What a serious freakshow!

Wes

Apparently the Arabic versions of his speech were censored to not include any reference to homosexuals period. I guess it must be true that there are none in Arabic countries! ::)

Guess the word doesn't exist in Arab.

How do you say.....
"Patrick fits Michael, and
Michael fits Patrick"!

In 1921, Lord Birkenhead (the Lord Chancellor) said of lesbianism: "I would be bold enough to say that of every thousand women, taken as a whole, 999 have never even heard a whisper of these practices"

God knows what he'd make of a girls gone wild video...  :eek:

Back