• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Combat Systems Officer ( ACSO )

Isn't Zoomie an "air defender and destruction co-ordinator" now?  :nod:

Regards
G2G

(p.s. I agree with his FMS observations, but think he should have added "human Kalman-filter" to the list.)

Hi everybody
I'm a DEO recruit with the ACSO test next week. Just curious if anybody had any helpful insight in regards to studying/preparing for this bad boy?

Cheers

Perhaps, you should search the site before you ask a question that has been asked (and answered) before.

I have already read the previous answered question(s) about the test. I am just seeing if anyone has any "fresh" advice - more info the better. A good reconnaissance is seldom wasted. Thanks

I did it in February and it is like 10 year old, so fresh advice aren't necessary.

Study your Grade 11 maths, it's not hard at all you just have to remember some mathematics rules  and be quick because you don't have too much time.

hammertime said:
Yeah, thanks nic32. I hear the lack time is the greatest degree of difficulty...

Definitely.  I did mine last year, and that was my difficulty as well. Really bone up on your speed of calculation. Everything you need to do can be done with your mind, paper and pencil. The practice test that is available from the CF site has exactly the kinds of questions you'll see.  The only difference is the difficulty.

I know I didn't fully complete the math section, but still scored high enough to be even considered for pilot this year, so don't beat yourself up too much if you miss a question or two.  I know that I was "well above average" even having missed a couple. Just focus and do the best you can.

Good luck!

estoguy said:
I know I didn't fully complete the math section, but still scored high enough to be even considered for pilot this year, so don't beat yourself up too much if you miss a question or two.  I know that I was "well above average" even having missed a couple. Just focus and do the best you can.

Good luck!

Unless the test has changed significantly, the ACSO test is separate from the CFAT so the score on the ACSO test has no bearing on being selected for Pilot.  You may have had the CFAT in mind. 

There are people that score high enough to qualify for Pilot, but don't score high enough on the ACSO test to qualify for ACSO. 

I was just posted to 414.  Posting to the squadron comes down to needs of the squadron, preferences and your course standing.  You do well and you might get what you want.  As for the training, there's nothing to do before the course, just show interest.
CSH

I have done the ACSO training before and passed it (though I was a level 6 which was the lowest pass category).  It is really a case of listening to the advice of others.  There is very little which can be done to prepare for it.  A review of some high school arithmetic would be helpful, but considering the failure rate for ACSO (which is high enough) if you need to prepare heavily for this test you probably aren't going to make it through the training. 

By the way, does anyone know the official name of the test?

About half of ACSO seats are on the CP140; about a quarter are Maritime Helicopter and the rest are Electronic Warfare, Search and Rescue, Air to Air refuelling, instructional and UAV.

So Im an NCM, looking at applying as an ACSO in the next UTPNCM competition.

What I'm looking for is the day to day job of an ACSO. I've read the recruiting website info, watched the video and have searched these forums. I've gotten a brief overview of what they do which has peaked my interested. I'm wondering if any ACSO pers on this page would be willing to go a little more in depth WRT their daily duties. The other officer trades I've been looking at, I've been able to spend some time with them on the job to see their day to day. I'd love to do that with ACSO but not really able to do that here in Pet. I'd like to A: see if this is something I would in fact like, and B: the more info I have trade related going into the PSO interview the better.

Thanks

sidemount --

the ACSO/Air Nav occupation is going through changes as the CF tries to figure out which airframes and air communities require a nav.  You probably know that navs are employed in 4 different communities: AirMobility/SAR, Long Range Patrol, Marine Helo, and Electronic Warfare.  The day-to-day job is very different depending on the community in which you're employed.    There's also the (possible) UAV community.  The higher ups originally though that this would be in full swing by now but it has been delayed.  There are many ACSOs in the training system now, clogging it up.  I believe the original thinking was to push more through so that they could be increasingly employed in UAVs and EW.  But since that is not currently the case they have been pushed into other communities which are already at or near capacity (plain english = long training delays).

A nav in SAR would be working shift work, on-call etc. in order to provide search and rescue readiness at a sar squadron.  The job involves a lot of system manipulation, understanding of flight planning, weather, search patterns, effectiveness, and radio comms.  There is some question as to whether navs will continue to be a part of future fixed wing sar, but nothing concrete.

Long Range patrol would be Aurora aircraft on either coast.  Longer missions and the job specifics would be either (1) comms manager and maintaining the legal log or (2) tactical nav...effectively coming up with the plan and putting it into action, along with the rest of the crew.

MH is the Sea King/Cyclone and the nav is the tactical commander.  He runs the whole mission from inside the aircraft.  Probably live on ship for a few months out of the year on deployment ops.  Recommend you try to get a ship tour at some point since it is not for everyone.

EW would be the alpha jet out of Ottawa.  In this role, the nav becomes an electronic warfare expert.  The sqn basically plays a training role with the army, air force, and navy, and can emulate a wide variety of EW threats.  The nav is the expert button-pusher extraordinaire.

Since everyone attends the basic nav course in Winnipeg, it doesn't prepare you for one specific community  but more of a blend of all of them.  Whatever community you're working with, job emphasis is big picture planning.  I like to think that the pilots focus on the safety of aircraft and crew, and the nav focuses on the details of the larger mission.  Weather, electronics, airspace & airmanship, comms, legal logging and whatever the mission is are your paramount concerns day to day. 

It's hard to summarize. Hope this helped.

sidemount said:
So Im an NCM, looking at applying as an ACSO in the next UTPNCM competition.

What I'm looking for is the day to day job of an ACSO. I've read the recruiting website info, watched the video and have searched these forums. I've gotten a brief overview of what they do which has peaked my interested. I'm wondering if any ACSO pers on this page would be willing to go a little more in depth WRT their daily duties. The other officer trades I've been looking at, I've been able to spend some time with them on the job to see their day to day. I'd love to do that with ACSO but not really able to do that here in Pet. I'd like to A: see if this is something I would in fact like, and B: the more info I have trade related going into the PSO interview the better.

Thanks

If you have the time and the CoC allows, take a trip down to 414 EW Sqn in Ottawa.  EW as a first posting is fairly new (within the past 5 years) so I'd suspect that some of the ACSOs there would have had prior experience in other communities.  414 doesn't keep their aircraft there but at least you'd be able to speak to some people about the job.

Quick question.  Why aren't EWOs posted to 3 Wing, 4 Wing, Halifax and Victoria (where most CATS aircraft are based), instead of paying full TD every single time they are employed?  In times of severe financial constraints, wouldn't it be the prefered way of doing buisness?

anjp: you say its hard to summarize....I think you did a pretty damn good job. There is some great information that you have provided and I greatly appreciate the time you took to type it out. It def provides some very good insight as to how the ACSOs tie into flight operations. Very helpful for me, thanks!

Dimsum: I will def look into that hopefully my CoC can help set something up, they are generally on board with most PD like that as long as the op tempo allows for me to get away. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hi,

I didn't really knew where to post this question, so I apologies if you think this is not the proper tread.

I already have applied to the RCAF to become an ACSO. I would like to know from an actual ACSO, what are the chances to get promoted to higher ranks (Major, Colonel). I have done some research, and all the high rank officer within the RCAF that I was able to find, they are all pilots (or maybe I haven't done a proper research?). Anyways, it is (realistically )possible for an ACSO to reach the rank of Colonel? I did ask this same question to a recruiter, and he told me "YES", but of course, that is his job. I would like to hear an honest opinion from an ACSO or any other officer within the RCAF.

Thanks.

Back