• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Combat Systems Officer ( ACSO )

I have my ACSO test June 18th at my local CFRC.

I know no one can discuss specifics. I just wrote the CFAT yesterday and passed no issue - is the math harder then in the problem solving section of the CFAT?

All i was told was that it's going to be about 2.5 hrs and I'll have a hard time answering all the questions. Told it was basically a test of how quickly i can do math.

Accurate?

Thanks for the quick response CDN Aviator.

You seem to be my personal ACSO questions answerer yesterday and today...  :nod:

Cheers

seawolf said:
You seem to be my personal ACSO questions answerer yesterday and today...  :nod:

Just remember, i ain't an ACSO, i just have to suffer life with many of them.

I did write the ACSO test 4 years ago.

Yea i know you are not an ACSO. Are you an AES Op?

I'm more then happy to get any info I can about the job from all angles. I am interested in ACSO partly because it seems to be evolving, especially with the new technologies of UAV's and EW. Plus, with new airframes (Cyclone, new Hercs) - seems to be a cool place to possibly land.

With my 3 trade choices being very different (LogO, ArmourO and ACSO) - the career manager gave me good advice yesterday. He said to treat them as 3 first choices and not 1. 2. & 3; as I could end up being offered any of them. Thus I have been doing even more research into ACSO, and get more and more interested with everything I read.

Mike

Ah yes - from the RCAF website on the new J's

Not only is the new Hercules a more capable aircraft, it also requires fewer crew members than the older Hercules; it flies with a minimum crew of three – two pilots and a loadmaster – compared to five on the older Hercules.

KRach said:
just out of curiousity, what kind of math exactly? trig, calc, functions? 

Rach :yellow:

Wondering if this question could be answered?

SupersonicMax said:
Because of a 3 letter acronym: GPS

GPS doesn't solve all nav problems.  Just ask anyone who has taken a wrong turn b/c Garmin said so. 

SupersonicMax said:
Because of a 3 letter acronym: GPS

Not quite the full story seeing as the brand new just off the production line USAF MC-130J has a three person cockit crew including two pilots and a CSO (USAF equivalent to RCAF ACSO). Of course it has a slightly different mission than our 130Js.

CDN Aviator said:
"slightly" is a bit of an understatement  ;D

:nod: 

Any Herc packing AGM-114 Hellfire  is indeed "different".  The Combat Shadow II definitely qualifies.

Regards
G2G

Well test was moved from Monday to tomorrow.

Write it at 9am. Brushing up again on math (just did this a couple weeks ago for the CFAT).

Wish me luck.

Mike

FMS would be a more appropriate three letter acronym to replace the Navs. A GPS does not manage your fuel endurance or calculate your PNR/ETP. It also blends together other sources (INU, AHARS, etc) to make you ISO compliant with flying north and cross the pond.  Sorry for the tangent. What were we talking about again?  Oh yeh, pilots....

Zoomie said:
FMS would be a more appropriate three letter acronym to replace the Navs. A GPS does not manage your fuel endurance or calculate your PNR/ETP. It also blends together other sources (INU, AHARS, etc) to make you ISO compliant with flying north and cross the pond.  Sorry for the tangent. What were we talking about again?  Oh yeh, pilots....

Yep.  Partially the reason why we aren't called Air Navigators anymore.  Navigation is but one part of what an ACSO does, dependent on airframe (and sometimes an ACSO doesn't even do that.)  But being a SAR dude, you should know that  ;)

Back