• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Combat Systems Officer ( ACSO )

carpeboi said:
For now it’s a full move. Don’t know about the new course.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Great thanks, do you happen to know when the new courses are expected begin? Within the year? If Im selected this April I would assume I would begin course sometime between June and the end of the year.

On average a course starts every two months.  Selected in April?  I’d expect a July/Sept start.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
On average a course starts every two months.  Selected in April?  I’d expect a July/Sept start.

Ok thanks Dolphin. Maybe I should clarify the question. The poster above mentioned that for now when people are posted to Winnipeg for the ACSO course that they're entitled to a full move, and that this may change when the new and shorter course is introduced. So the question I I have is, does anyone have an idea when this new potentially  shorter course is scheduled to run for the first time? This may give me an idea of whether or not I can expect a full move if selected this April.

Dolphin, For those ACSOs that are entering the trade from the NCM side, there are NCM commissioning competitions like CEOTP and UTPNCM. The selection boards are normally held annually with selected applicants notified around the April/May time frame. What happens between the time when you are selected and the time you begin the ACSO course is what I'm trying to figure out lol.

You will be on the new course, if there is no change and you are select. The wait between the BMOQ  ( or moving to winnipeg) and ACSO course may varie for 3 month to 1 year for now. depend on so many things. One of the intents with the new course is to cut the waiting time. The best and this is the method I use is to focus on one step at time. Get selected and BMOQ for now or get selected and move to winnipeg if you are already in the forces. The waiting time is case by case and really difficult to anticipate. Hope I didn’t demotivate you.

carpeboi said:
You will be on the new course, if there is no change and you are select. The wait between the BMOQ  ( or moving to winnipeg) and ACSO course may varie for 3 month to 1 year for now. depend on so many things. One of the intents with the new course is to cut the waiting time. The best and this is the method I use is to focus on one step at time. Get selected and BMOQ for now or get selected and move to winnipeg if you are already in the forces. The waiting time is case by case and really difficult to anticipate. Hope I didn’t demotivate you.

Thanks for the Info, I will bypass BMOQ,  I'm just trying to figure out if I will be able to bring my family with me to Winnipeg and if not how long I could expect to be away. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if I'm selected and then see what the posting message says.  Thanks again everyone for your info and advice.

TechCrmn said:
Dolphin, For those ACSOs that are entering the trade from the NCM side, there are NCM commissioning competitions like CEOTP and UTPNCM. The selection boards are normally held annually with selected applicants notified around the April/May time frame. What happens between the time when you are selected and the time you begin the ACSO course is what I'm trying to figure out lol.

No worries, I knew what you meant (I meant to type - If selected in April). I am familiar with the selection dates and all that goes with it.  This time last year I was in a similar position.  That being said, I am currently on course at 402.  If I hear anything about upcoming courses/changes I’ll let you know.

Good luck with the process.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
No worries, I knew what you meant (I meant to type - If selected in April). I am familiar with the selection dates and all that goes with it.  This time last year I was in a similar position.  That being said, I am currently on course at 402.  If I hear anything about upcoming courses/changes I’ll let you know.

Good luck with the process.

Thanks Dolphin, that would be much appreciated! Good luck on course!

Hello,

What are the odds of being an ACSO on Alphajet? As I believe this is the only jet an ACSO can expect to experience?
And is there any ACSO operating on a Cormoran SAR ?
I'd love to complete missions on those two airframes...

If you are interested in being a backseater on something like an Alpha Jet (or whatever they use nowadays) do a search for "EWO". If I remember correctly, there are a few people on here that have done that gig.

Titix said:
Hello,

What are the odds of being an ACSO on Alphajet? As I believe this is the only jet an ACSO can expect to experience?
And is there any ACSO operating on a Cormoran SAR ?
I'd love to complete missions on those two airframes...

Newly minted ACSOs will most likely find themselves in the MH/LRP/FWSAR communities.  Alpha Jets and AAR are posting options as well, but there are fewer spots to fill in those communities. 

The odds of being posted to Alpha jets is slim, not impossible.

For alpha 1 peson per course got post on this aircraft in the last year. So look like a 1/8 for now but can change anytime.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Newly minted ACSOs will most likely find themselves in the MH/LRP/FWSAR communities.  Alpha Jets and AAR are posting options as well, but there are fewer spots to fill in those communities. 

The odds of being posted to Alpha jets is slim, not impossible.

Also, Alpha Jets aren't a community - people go there for one tour then off to another platform.

Also, Alpha Jets aren't a community - people go there for one tour then off to another platform.

Thanks. Do you mean that is different on other airframes?

Titix said:
Thanks. Do you mean that is different on other airframes?

Generally, you stay with your airframe for your career. Occasionally, people ask to be moved from one airframe to another, but it is not common.

Thank you all for your answers. But the more I look for information about ACSO, the more I have questions!

- TechCrmn says he's waiting for the selection board to sit this spring. Is there only one session per year or can I expect to receive an offer anytime in the next 12 months?

- I also read that we can take the ACSO course in french (my first language). If so that would certainly help me to better perform (and get a better chance to choose my first posting). However I have heard that the ACSO and Pilot courses are only taught in english since this is the international language for aircrew and radio communications. That said all Officers are supposed to become fully bilingual between BMOQ and the moment they start their professional instruction, aren't they? Any thought?

- Concrete question about the job : I believe it depends of the airframe, but do an ACSO move a lot in the aircraft or are they mostly sitting at a desk staring at screens and doing math?

- What type of weaponry does an ACSO operate? Looking at all squadrons, I only think about torpedoes so far.

Thank you for helping me better understand my (hopefully) future job!

Titix said:
- TechCrmn says he's waiting for the selection board to sit this spring. Is there only one session per year or can I expect to receive an offer anytime in the next 12 months?

If you knew how the CAF works (and you are not expected to know that unless you are, or were, a serving member) you would realize that TechCrmn's situation is different than yours and any timing expectations that he has will have no relation to you.  TechCrmn is currently a serving member of the CAF and applied for commissioning (as an ACSO) under an in-service Continuing Education Officer Training Program (CEOTP).  The application deadlines that he had to meet and the number of available positions that he is competing for is completely separate from that which you (as a civilian) are chasing.

Titix said:
- I also read that we can take the ACSO course in french (my first language). If so that would certainly help me to better perform (and get a better chance to choose my first posting). However I have heard that the ACSO and Pilot courses are only taught in english since this is the international language for aircrew and radio communications. That said all Officers are supposed to become fully bilingual between BMOQ and the moment they start their professional instruction, aren't they? Any thought?
Ne t’inquiète pas trop pour ça ! Tu vas devoir faire un test de classement d’anglais sur ton qmbo et tu dois obtenir une certaine note pour pouvoir aller directement sur ton cours d’acso sans cours d’anglais. Ceci étant dit, J’ai passé de justesse le test de classement et commencer mon cours d’acso en comprenant absolument rien quand on me parlait en anglais. Les instructeurs sont a 40-50% des francophones et ils comprennent notre situation. Quand tu ne comprends pas quelque chose tout le monde essaie de t’aider!! Sa ne ma jamais empêcher de performer ou quoi que ce soit ! La plupart du temps c’est simplement drôle ! Et si je regarde ce que tu écris ton niveau d’anglais est plus élevé que le mien présentement ! 

Hey Again,

Just a question for any qualified or trg ACSO's....When do new ACSOs begin receiving Aircrew Allowance? Is it after wings, upon commencement of the ACSO course, or at another time?

I am guessing that at a minimum students would be receiving casual aircrew allowance for flight days while on the ACSO course?

Thanks

You receive the standing allowance once qualified and posted into an eligible position.

Back