• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Combat Systems Officer ( ACSO )

5kc11 said:
Hello,

I apologize if this has been asked. But, I have not been able to find an answer.

Assuming an acso completes their first contract of 9 years. What happens after if they choose to extend?  Does the cycle repeat itself?
Ie
1st tour operational flying post
2nd tour instructional at Winnipeg
3rd staff position.

Or do they tend to stay in a staffing position for the remainder of their career?

First, the instructional tour isn't always in Winnipeg - it is more likely to be at the Operational Training Unit for the airframe.  After that, it's less structured; some will be Majors and go back for a Flying Supervisor tour at a squadron, some will stay as staff officers, etc. 

The staff position (#3 on your list) isn't guaranteed either - some people have never done a staff tour in 25+ years of service.  It all depends on what the need is and what your preferences are.

Just a question for any career status (VOT/UTPNCM/SCP/ETC) ACSOs that are currently awaiting their ACSO course... do they allow you to stay at your local BTL (closest to where your family resides) until the beginning of your ACSO course? Or do you have to go to Winnipeg right away upon transfer and wait there to be loaded on the ACSO/Sea survival/aeromedical/etc course?

Thanks in advance!

TechCrmn said:
Just a question for any career status (VOT/UTPNCM/SCP/ETC) ACSOs that are currently awaiting their ACSO course... do they allow you to stay at your local BTL (closest to where your family resides) until the beginning of your ACSO course? Or do you have to go to Winnipeg right away upon transfer and wait there to be loaded on the ACSO/Sea survival/aeromedical/etc course?

Thanks in advance!

I've known a couple who have stayed at their unit or at least the Wing and continued to do their previous job.  I'm not sure how that would work if an element transfer was also involved though.

Dimsum said:
I've known a couple who have stayed at their unit or at least the Wing and continued to do their previous job.  I'm not sure how that would work if an element transfer was also involved though.

Well I'm Airforce so there wouldn't be an element change and I'm posted close to Trenton, so hopefully I could go to a unit there and do some OJE prior to course. I'm just not sure how much of a backlog if any there currently is for the new ACSO course?

TechCrmn said:
Well I'm Airforce so there wouldn't be an element change and I'm posted close to Trenton, so hopefully I could go to a unit there and do some OJE prior to course. I'm just not sure how much of a backlog if any there currently is for the new ACSO course?

Last I heard there wasn’t much of a backlog.  They have also started loading 12 per course and have made drastic changes to the course outline.  It is a much shorter course now.

Odds are that you will remain in Trenton until your course starts.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Last I heard there wasn’t much of a backlog.  They have also started loading 12 per course and have made drastic changes to the course outline.  It is a much shorter course now.

Odds are that you will remain in Trenton until your course starts.

Ok great thanks! What about the shorter pre requisite courses? (sere/aero med/etc) do they all line up back-to-back or would I have to travel back 2 Winnipeg / Comox for each different course?

TechCrmn said:
Ok great thanks! What about the shorter pre requisite courses? (sere/aero med/etc) do they all line up back-to-back or would I have to travel back 2 Winnipeg / Comox for each different course?

I would expect to fly back and forth for each course.  Pick up an Aeroplan card and create a WestJet Rewards account.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I would expect to fly back and forth for each course.  Pick up an Aeroplan card and create a WestJet Rewards account.

Yea I spoke with my BTL manager and he also said as much, I'll have to get the West Jet rewards, I'm already an avid Aeroplaner lol

Thanks again for the info!

I'm pretty sure you (and whoever has these) do this, but make sure those frequent flyer rewards numbers are in your HRG profile too.

Dimsum said:
I'm pretty sure you (and whoever has these) do this, but make sure those frequent flyer rewards numbers are in your HRG profile too.

Yea good point! I completely forgot about HRG,  I dont think I've used it in at least 4 years.

TechCrmn said:
Yea good point! I completely forgot about HRG,  I dont think I've used it in at least 4 years.

You'll use it for sure as an ACSO.

Hey guys,

Can you confirm which courses are prerequisites for loading the ACSO Course?

Right now I'm tracking AMT Initial Aircrew, sea survival, basic EW, and BSERE (is this AOS-L, or AOS-SERE, or neither?)

Thanks

BSERE is now called the AOS-L (Air Operationss Survival - Land).  Depending on time of year, it can be an enjoyable course - mine was in late Nov/early Dec.

Eye In The Sky said:
BSERE is now called the AOS-L (Air Operationss Survival - Land).  Depending on time of year, it can be an enjoyable course - mine was in late Nov/early Dec.

Ok thanks! With that being said, what is a good time to take the course? I'd prefer cold over mosquitoes, but not sure where the AOS-L is conducted nor when the mosquitoes disappear for the winter in that area lol

The training site is Springer Lake, NE of Winnipeg/close to the Ontario border.  I know a few guys who did summer courses and they looked like they'd been shot 1000 times with 12 guage birdshot, they had so many bug bites.  :nod:

I did mine in late Nov/early Dec.  No mud, no bugs, no snow (we may have gotten lucky!).  Average daytime temp on mine was +8, which was lucky for that time of year.  I had a blast on mine, if I would have gotten some game on my solo I would have stayed longer and enjoyed it.

If you go to the Winnipeg/17 Wing DIN site, look for CFSSAT (CF School of Survival and Aeromedical Training).  They used to have their course calendar online where you could see where they are running AMT, AOS-L, etc.  The same for BEW, that should be under the Barker College, also on the 17 Wing site.

For Sea Survival, you should be able to find that on the 19 Wing site under CFSSAR (CF School Search and Rescue).  I also loved the sea survival course, did mine in October at Quadra.

If you're interested, you might also consider doing the Basic EW course via DL.  I did mine that way;  3 months to complete vice the 1 week residential course, and something to do while you're on BTL.

Attachments

• Solo Site.jpg
    Solo Site.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 202
  • Solo SiteB.jpg
    Solo SiteB.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 195
  • Lean-to.jpg
    Lean-to.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 213
Eye In The Sky said:
The training site is Springer Lake, NE of Winnipeg...

Ok great thanks for all of the info and the pictures too, it's much appreciated!

BEW is a prerequisite according to the ACSO TP I was able to find, I dont think it's the new TP though....

Eye In The Sky said:
If you're interested, you might also consider doing the Basic EW course via DL.  I did mine that way;  3 months to complete vice the 1 week residential course, and something to do while you're on BTL.

I'm hoping that while I'm on BTL they will send me to Trenton to do some OJE but if I do end up sitting around for any length of time I'll definately consider the DL (that's assuming I'm given the option), although I'd prob prefer to get it over with in a week residentialy.

TechCrmn said:
I'm hoping that while I'm on BTL they will send me to Trenton to do some OJE but if I do end up sitting around for any length of time I'll definately consider the DL (that's assuming I'm given the option), although I'd prob prefer to get it over with in a week residentialy.

I know the week option sounds appealing.  However, the BEW course covers quite a bit of information.  Personally I’d recommend the DL method if that’s available to you.

Back