• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force maintainers are getting new ‘janitor grey’ coveralls

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
"If I were to puke and make that color into an MDU that would be it."
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Originals

As someone who wears coveralls when not working at a bench or in the office, why would you want to wear coveralls home? Mine only come home for washing, and I could get that done at work if I cared. They are designed to get dirty, contaminated, and not very pleasant. Especially air force maintainers who deal with all sorts of fluids that smell and catch fire.

Don't bring that shit home.

And they are very ugly.

Interesting perspective on utility uniforms being an order of dress that needs to be kept more or less pristine (I absolutely understand also having coveralls for truly vile work) rather than something where a certain degree of visible use is acceptable.

Interesting perspective on utility uniforms being an order of dress that needs to be kept more or less pristine (I absolutely understand also having coveralls for truly vile work) rather than something where a certain degree of visible use is acceptable.
Yeah - I thought that was really weird too. Having a "pretty utility" uniform seems silly.

It was even more abominable in person…the cartoon doesn’t do its stupidity and awkwardness real justice.

It was even more abominable in person…the cartoon doesn’t do its stupidity and awkwardness real justice.
Whoever thought "we should make a camouflage pattern jacket that you can only wear in the office" was a good idea needed to have their head checked.

Whoever thought "we should make a camouflage pattern jacket that you can only wear in the office" was a good idea needed to have their head checked.
That pales in comparison to the outlandishness of the boots.

While execution of the idea was poor, the basis was to imitate what the Canadian Airborne Regiment (and the rest of the SSF) was already wearing, namely a camouflage "jump jacket" that was worn as the usual dress of the day (with either work dress or combats) but not usually worn in the field. Cost (the garrison dress jacket was a cheap substitute) and objections from those who thought themselves "special" to allowing the rest of the army to wear their prized jump jacket led us to the paint by numbers farce. And the boots . . . well, again a cheap knockoff of SSF/jump boots, because there was a requirement for "shiny boots" and polishing combat boots was verboten.

But oh no! They were not just office wear. Shortly after they were introduced we had a project to make replacement 4" blank for HMCS Haida as the brass brass was getting too old and battered to keep reloading. Samsonite provide some cartridge cases made from a variety of plastics. After a week of sewing different charge weights into bags a bunch of us from CFAD Angus trooped down to Haida for some test firings.

Find out some of the charges and cartridge cases left behind still burning residue when I opened to breach to unload and had a bunch of embers fly back. Melted right right through the cuff of the new jacket we were all wearing. Luckily I had an old lagoon green work dress shirt underneath and that stopped the melting plastic from contacting skin.

Last edited:
But oh no! They were not just office wear. Shortly after they were introduced we had a project to make replacement 4" blank for HMCS Haida as the brass brass was getting too old and battered to keep reloading. Samsonite provide some cartridge cases made from a variety of plastics. After a week of sewing different charge weights into bags a bunch of us from CFAD Angus trooped down to Haida for some test firings.

Find out some of the charges and cartridge cases left behind still burning residue when I opened to breach to unload and had a bunch of embers fly back. Melted right right through the cuff of the new jacket we were all wearing. Luckily I had an old lagoon green work dress shirt underneath and that stopped the melting plastic from contacting skin.

Team building through shared misery! That's something both the Jump Smock and Garrison Dress had in common... quite useless when coming into contact with reality.

In contrast, and ironically, the British DPM PARA smock that both were copied from was made of heavy, treated cotton. With a nice comfy (not) wool shirt underneath. Highly suitable for Infantry work as it didn't feel like you were wearing a plastic bag and, if you caught a bit of petrol bomb, you didn't automatically turn into a roman candle.

And with that, it seems that I've helped to nicely derailed this thread. You're welcome ;)

Not to mention whoever thought it was a good idea to make work dress out of polyester that had to be ironed and big-arsed leather boots that had to be spit-shined…

Weirdly, my garrison dress boots were the most comfortable boots that I have ever been issued by the CAF- and I don’t say that sarcastically. They fit me really, really well.
In fairness to them, I never experienced them personally- just listened to the guys complain about them while I loafed around in my light-blue LPO’d Danners. 😉

Weirdly, my garrison dress boots were the most comfortable boots that I have ever been issued by the CAF- and I don’t say that sarcastically. They fit me really, really well.
You are in the small minority.

Back