• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force major charged in firearms bust in Kingston, Petawawa

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
Article Link

Maj. Kendrick Barling, has been charged by the CBSA with the following offences:

• 5x Customs Act s. 159(1) – Smuggle Goods into Canada
  • 2x Customs Act s. 153(a) – Making False Statements
  • 2x Export and Import Permits Act s. 14/19 – Import Goods without a Permit
  • 9x Criminal Code s. 103(1) – Importing a Firearm Knowing it is Unauthorized
  • 9x Criminal Code s. 104(1) – Unauthorized Importing of a Firearm
  • 2x Criminal Code s. 86(2) – Contravention of Transportation Regulations

Article Link

Maj. Kendrick Barling, has been charged by the CBSA with the following offences:

You Go Girl GIF by Paramount+

Holy crap, the RCAF leading the charge for firearms violations, didn't see that coming. Very 2023.

Also, must have been a hell of surprise for the 'unpack' for the movers. A lot of that is very obviously illegal in Canada.

ACSO, two times CFSAC champion.

From 2012:

For the first time, a Royal Canadian Air Force officer has won the Canadian Forces’ top marksman award twice in a row.

Captain Ken Barling, NORAD headquarters air combat systems officer, was awarded the Queen’s Medal for Champion Shot (Regular) for the second year in a row at this year’s Canadian Forces Small Arms Concentration (CFSAC) competition, held September 9 to 22 at the Connaught Ranges in Ottawa, Ont.

Article Link

From the article: “Multiple firearms have duplicate serial numbers.”

??🧐

This is how a few bad apples ruin it for everyone. I would have to assume that this individual has all the appropriate licenses and permits for the legal firearms he possessed. But it will be spun that gun owners can't be trusted to follow the rules, even those who hold trusted positions in the Armed Forces who should be better trained with their use.

This is how a few bad apples ruin it for everyone. I would have to assume that this individual has all the appropriate licenses and permits for the legal firearms he possessed. But it will be spun that gun owners can't be trusted to follow the rules, even those who hold trusted positions in the Armed Forces who should be better trained with their use.
Nailed it!

See the link I posted in the Gun Control 2.0 thread about the Quebec journalist, who is also a PAL holder. Laws only apply to those who choose to obey them.

If purchased legally and used responsibly, I believe so (based on looking at the photos on my phone). @KevinB would have a more definitive answer.
as a Cdn. citizen but residing in the States for 5 years, would he have been legal to purchase those firearms during his posting? Goes to show that intelligence doesn't go hand in hand with rank.

Yes they where entirely legal down here (albeit potentially State dependent for some).

Secondly, Yes CAF personnel posted down here are afforded Resident Status as far as firearms ownership and acquisition goes. But possession down here, doesn’t mean you can legally bring them back to Canada.

Years ago a CSIS member working down here with the USG bought a KAC Mk23 Suppressor for his handgun, I tried to explain to him that while it was legal for him to buy - it wasn’t going to be legal to return to Canada with (it was I was at KAC and he was buying with a MIl/LE discount). I have no idea what he did with it. I have suspicions, but…

Oof. Way to torpedo your life, career, security clearance, and very dedicated hobby all at once.

Based on the descriptions of items seized I wouldn’t be surprised if more charges are added once firearms and magazines have had the opportunity to be tested and characterized by qualified experts. E.g., prohibited device charges and such.

Oof. Way to torpedo your life, career, security clearance, and very dedicated hobby all at once.

Based on the descriptions of items seized I wouldn’t be surprised if more charges are added once firearms and magazines have had the opportunity to be tested and characterized by qualified experts. E.g., prohibited device charges and such.
Out of curiousity, it says these charges have been laid by CBSA, so I'm assuming it would be someone at a different level (local? provincial? RCMP?) that would look at it from a prohibited weapon type perspective?

It did say it included hundreds of over-capacity magazines, which I believe are generally illegal for civilian ownership.

Sounds like he went to town at some gun shows. Rarely you have to show ID.

Out of curiousity, it says these charges have been laid by CBSA, so I'm assuming it would be someone at a different level (local? provincial? RCMP?) that would look at it from a prohibited weapon type perspective?

It did say it included hundreds of over-capacity magazines, which I believe are generally illegal for civilian ownership.
If the pistol mags were over 10 rounds and the AR mags over 5 then very illegal, even if they weren't they still need to be imported by an approved importer. Even the ammo is an issue. He's probably going away and lifetime ban on firearms.

Looking at the number of firearms in the photo and the number of Customs Act and Criminal Code charges, he obviously declared part of the shipment.

All the Criminal Code charges are related to the importation and none to his licensing and permissions. I suspect more Firearms Act/Criminal Code charges are in his future, as many of those firearms are prohibs as a re the magazines.

The duplicate serial numbers are interesting. Mixed uppers and lowers, maybe?

Looks like they were bringing in a bunch of lowers as well, the uppers were also prohibited.

CCBSA.PNG

Could some of these have been legitimate Canadian purchased firearms that were taken to the US legally 5 years ago and then since deemed prohibited or unable to be brought back due to changes introduced by the Liberals?

Nothing in the pictures was outright prohibited prior to 2020 outside of perhaps magazines.

Back