• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force Reserves Questions

Sam.Garron

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

Recently I've been looking into the reserves and just have so general questions that I'd love to have answered:

1) For a person doing school how does one complete BMQ and training?

2) What's the process of becoming a Flight Engineer?

3) If I join if Halifax for my training can I transfer to Newfoundland afterward?

4) Is there a rule or requirement of how far you can live from your home base in the reserves?

5) can BMQ been done on weekend instead of summers?

6) what are the chances of me actually getting the position I'm looking for?

Thank you so much if you can help me!! :cdn:

I can answer a few of your questions but not the Air Force side.

1. People who are in school typically complete BMQ in the summers full time but some units do run BMQ on weekends during the year. The last one I taught on in the Reserves ran weekends.

3. It's possible. To change units you have to contact the one you're wishing to join to make sure they have a position for you to fill and are willing to take you on.

4. I'm not sure if they have a set rule. If you live outside a certain distance (60k I believe?) they will reimburse a portion of your travel cost.

5. See above. It's possible but can depend on your area and unit.

Flight Engineers are recruited solely from within the forces, you must have been a forces member in a different trade for a number of years before being selected. I believe they're wholly regular force, though I might be wrong on that.

My understanding of the air reserve is, because they're composed of pretty specialized trades, almost all of them have prior regular force experience. HOWEVER, you should send an email to your local air reserve unit - they'll answer your questions and give you your options.

Back