• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Operations Officer (AOO)

My current Sqn, Ops Flt is fairly small (6) and all flyers, and 1 is Reserves. It makes it challenging sometimes just to have 1 pers there to answer phone and monitor the + Ops inbox.
What, you don't stick a bunch of untrained OJTs in there like every other sqn? :sneaky:

But seriously, reasons like this is why the AOO trade is valid, at least to me. I don't know if "sqn ops" should be a secondary duty.

Sqns will need to deal with the loss of PYs in their flying cadre. The OpsO Major line number will no longer be a flyer (as it is currently at all flying Sqns). Same goes for 2-3 Captain flying positions - those line numbers will get given to the AOO CM. I’m already seeing it at the Wing, we just posted out a Captain (pilot) and filled it with a Lt(AOO) - the CM has now struck that line number from his database.

What, you don't stick a bunch of untrained OJTs in there like every other sqn? :sneaky:

But seriously, reasons like this is why the AOO trade is valid, at least to me. I don't know if "sqn ops" should be a secondary duty.

We're a little unique that way....not many OJTs in our lines (none, that I can think of, actually....).

Sqns will need to deal with the loss of PYs in their flying cadre. The OpsO Major line number will no longer be a flyer (as it is currently at all flying Sqns). Same goes for 2-3 Captain flying positions - those line numbers will get given to the AOO CM. I’m already seeing it at the Wing, we just posted out a Captain (pilot) and filled it with a Lt(AOO) - the CM has now struck that line number from his database.

Is that the plan for "most" Sqns vice "all" Sqns? Some Sqns are small (FD) and have a very small footprint of flyers to start with. The loss of 3 would be significant in some cases.

Our Ops is 1 x Maj, 5 x NCM...and, one of those is occupying a line number borrowed from the other hanger.

Back