• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Reserves?

jzaidi1

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I just spoke with CFRC Mississauga.  CEOTP is closed (confirmed) but I still want in as Pilot.  The Sgt asked me to consider going Air Reserve Officer to build up "credit".  I was told that 400 Sqn or 16 Wing is best bet, located at CFB Borden.  I'm coming across some challenges so I'll give you a quick backgrounder and then pose my questions:

Backgrounder:
- 33 yrs old, relatively "good" shape
- 4 years for Comm Res experience (rank CPL, Sig Ops) from '92 to '96
- 5 years of Air Cadets '87 - '92 (rank SGT and also 2ic of Sqn)
- Currently Manager of Recruitment/Acquisitions leading 7 people - fulltime gig in downtown TO
- No degree, avg marks in highschool - graduated in '93, one year of uni in '94 with 'terrible marks"
- Living in Mississauga, married

Questions:
- What MOCs would be available to someone like myself in Air Reserves as Officer? CFRC suggested CELE Officer.
- What is life like at the aforementioned units for Res Air Officer?
- Taking the summer off for IAP/BOTC would be next to impossible, are there weekend IAP/BOTC available?
- Would I be able to get credit for time served in Comm Res as NCM?
- What does the average month look like for Air Reserve (ie. # of days, # of weekends, work environment)
- Who should I contact at CFB Borden to get more info and perhaps a sit-in for one of their evenings?
- Any more general info much appreciated

Thanks,
J

The following Officer MOC's are available for Air Res:

Aerospace Engineering - (AERE)
Air Navigator - (ANAV)
Airfield Engineering - (AF Engr)
Chaplain (P) - (Chap P)
Chaplain (RC) - (Chap RC)
Communications and Electronics Engineer - (CELE)
Electrical and Mechanical Engineering - (EME)
Intelligence - (Int)
Logistics -  - (Log)
Military Police - (MP)
Music - (Musc)
Public Affairs (P Aff)
Personnel Selection - (P Sel)
Pilot - (Plt)

Do bear in mind, however, that the Reserve unit you are applying at must have a position open for a given MOC in order for you to apply for it.

I can't answer any questions about life at Borden, seeing as how I've never been there. There are quite a few people on this board who have been through Borden though, hopefuly one of them can come along and fill in some details.

For any questions relating to the specific Air Res flight, contact their Flight Commander or Adjudant. For Borden:

Air Reserve Flight Borden, ON
          Flight Commander

(705) 424-1200 Ext 2878

400 Squadron Borden, ON
          Adjutant

(705) 424-1200 Ext 1402

For the training and prior experience questions, ask the CFRC.

Fireball,

Just wondering what your spouse thinks of all this or has that been sorted out?

I'd wager he's either sorted it out, or he's made his choice. One way or another.

Thanks for the info,

AEC Kapp said:
I'd wager he's either sorted it out, or he's made his choice. One way or another.

As far as my wife is concerned.  She isn't thrilled about my desire to join the CF still but she has lightened up and isn't giving me grief anymore.  I ask her once in a while how she feels and normally all I get is a bit of a blank stare and a quick disapproving shake of the head.

I'm giving her some time and space to sort things through - ultimately if she wants to be with me she'll have to realize I have goals and dreams as well.  Frankly, I don't want to be that old, fat, tired looking family-guy who's resigned his life to driving around Mississauga in a rusted minivan with a bunch of screaming kids wondering how the hell he got there and where his youth went.

I will call up the folks at Borden to see if there is a way to pursue Res Officer in the air force.

Thanks,
J

I am pretty sure you need a degree to be an officer. Is it different for the reserves?

With reserves (Army at least, unsure about Nav/Air Res), you can be in the process of completing a degree, or accepted into a degree program. Plenty of uni students join as an OCdt in first year, and are a 2Lt/Lt by the time they complete their undergrad, and some make Capt by the time they're done a graduate degree (that is, if they do a grad degree). 

I will call up the folks at Borden to see if there is a way to pursue Res Officer in the air force.

If there's anything more you need/want to know, I'm in the same building as the 19 (Comox) Air Reserve Flight Commander, and I work with a few reservists, albeit mostly NCM's, and I've got contacts throughout the Wing. Feel free to send me a message and I'll see what I can find out.

AEC Kapp said:
With reserves (Army at least, unsure about Nav/Air Res), you can be in the process of completing a degree, or accepted into a degree program. Plenty of uni students join as an OCdt in first year, and are a 2Lt/Lt by the time they complete their undergrad, and some make Capt by the time they're done a graduate degree (that is, if they do a grad degree). 

I didn't delete it quickly enough. ;) I was thinking of DEO and then realized after I posted that other entry plans probably don't require the degree initially.

So..."AEC Kapp"...can I bug you with some AEC questions?  ;D

Celticgirl said:
I didn't delete it quickly enough. ;) I was thinking of DEO and then realized after I posted that other entry plans probably don't require the degree initially.

So..."AEC Kapp"...can I bug you with some AEC questions?  ;D

Sure, Ask away.

Thanks,

I'll formulate some questions and get back to you via PM (AECkapp).  I called in and left a message at 16 Wing with one of the officers.  I hoping to hear back soon.

I really want to be a pilot damnit!  I know of the long and often unpredictable road and it will mean giving up my civvie career and dare I say it, my marriage (the thought is just eating me up).  I had a long discussion with my wife and told her how disilliusioned I was with civvie careers out there and how much I need to belong to something with "purpose".  She just doesn't understand - maybe I am not articulating myself properly.

Anyway I'll keep you posted on my progress.

J

AEC Kapp said:
Sure, Ask away.

I am going to hold off on asking most of the questions swirling around in my overactive cranium until I actually get an offer, but I do have one question for you (and since this thread has already been hijacked, feel free to respond on the AEC thread instead of this one so we don't end up in radio chatter  ;)). My question to you is: Are you happy with your trade choice?

Fireball said:
Frankly, I don't want to be that old, fat, tired looking family-guy who's resigned his life to driving around Mississauga in a rusted minivan with a bunch of screaming kids wondering how the hell he got there and where his youth went.
That doesn't have to be you. You could live in Ajax. ;)

J, why not get a head start on your degree in the mean time? Whatever route you decide to take to Pilot, you need to have it. (Well, eventually in the case of CEOTP). Good luck.

Hey Moody,

Thanks for the friendly jab (Ajax?) ;)  Anyway I have contacted RMC to see if I can apply for the fall session for Bachelors of Military Arts and Science as a distant learning student.  I hope my previous military experience will allow me to be accepted/along with highschool marks.  I have to fill out a lengthy form, pay some fees, have an advanced standing assesment done, pay some more fees and hope for the best.  So in short - I have started down the degree path...again.  It's good to have under my belt anyway, especially is Pilot does not happen and I continue to climb the corporate ladder.

For those interested in going down that path of online/distant learning check out http://www.cvu-uvc.ca.

Will keep you all updated...
J

Back