• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Weapons System Technician (AWS TECH)

Hey man;

I didnt do the the air weapons course but i did the avn course im now a awst i switched and from chatting with the guys who did it, all you need to attend is a pencil.

The minimum required education to apply for this position is the completion of the provincial requirements for Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Canada. Foreign education may be accepted.
( Thats straight off the recruiment website )

Hello, I have recently applied for AWS Tech. In the video it states that once training is completed you will be posted to CFB Cold Lake, CFB Bagotville, or 'any other base that has aircrafts with weapons'....my question is, what other bases have aircraft's that carry weapons? In a perfect world I would like to be posted to CFB Trenton, but as far as I know they are no combat aircrafts there. Thanks for any info

The three "training" bases are cold lake, bagotville and Greewood, NS. You could also concievably be posted to Comox, BC. For fully qualified TECHs, there are positions at the tac helicopter squadrons, and maritime helicopter squadrons. This covers just about every base in canada. Trenton is a posting because as a AWS you load all the chaff and flares, which Hercs have. If it involves aircraft and weapons, or explosives, or anything like that an AWS will be in charge of it.

Hello, I've applied for AWS Technician. I am wondering if I will be able to participate in humanitarian missions (such as the one happening in Philippines) in this profession? A big part of why I am drawn to the military is to be able to help people in need (I currently do volunteer SAR). So would AWS techs have the opportunity to provide assistance or are these jobs generally left to soldiers, med techs, SAR techs etc?? Only reason I ask is because in the recruitment video for WENG Techs the one guy states he provided aid in Haiti after the earthquakes. So I am wondering/hoping that anyone in the CF can be picked to help. Thanks for any information!

If we're moving aircraft around, or utilizing it, you can bet they'll need techs to keep things going. You may not be hands-on in the effort, but providing those aircraft for the crews to work in is aid in itself.

AWS folks also do some EOD type work; who knows where/when those skills could be called upon in a natural disaster.

Hi,

New to the forum and looking for some info for my OT.
Currently DP2 (QL5) Qualified weapons tech (Land)
Really hoping to get some info from the horses mouth on this one.

Just have a few general questions regarding the trade

-I've seen alot of duties on the recruitment site that seem like ramp work (i.e de-icing,towing,marshalling,refueling, etc.) . Just wondering if this is in a typical work day or if they just throw it in there because it's potentially a duty?

-What percentage would you say the trade spends in a workshop environment?( i.e benchwork , disassembly,troubleshooting)

-Is Cold lake as bad as it seems? i have 2 kids under 2 and i'm pretty strapped for cash now , even being on the east coast.

-What would be the best base to begin OJT after my QL3? I'm interested in jets and choppers, but prefer the jets

Any help would be great , as well as some follow ups as i continue to learn more about the trade.

P.S my BPSO meeting is scheduled after the christmas holiday

Cheers,

Crap, just realized you had asked about AWS, I read AVS and wrote a long irrelevant post which I have just chopped.

I've been on the Sea King fleet since they stood AWS up again and we really haven't seen much of them yet.  Sorry for the wasted post.  I really can't offer much of value for life in that trade.

Feel free to PM me about general air force life, hopefully I can be of help.

Dannyboyeast said:
-I've seen alot of duties on the recruitment site that seem like ramp work (i.e de-icing,towing,marshalling,refueling, etc.) . Just wondering if this is in a typical work day or if they just throw it in there because it's potentially a duty?

AWSTs don't generally do any servicing type work (checks, towing, marshalling or refuelling). They are kept busy in their own trade though.

-What percentage would you say the trade spends in a workshop environment?( i.e benchwork , disassembly,troubleshooting)

If you are posted into a second line workshop, that'll be the majority of your job. In the squadrons they aren't qualified to fix the component itself, only to replace it.

-Is Cold lake as bad as it seems? i have 2 kids under 2 and i'm pretty strapped for cash now , even being on the east coast.

Cold Lake is very expensive to live in, more so if you have a young family. Cost of living is very high here, from housing whether on or off base, to daycare etc, etc. Your spouse would most likely have to get a job, if not a second one for yourself. (I'm only guessing here but that seems to be common for young families)

-What would be the best base to begin OJT after my QL3? I'm interested in jets and choppers, but prefer the jets

Cold Lake or Bagotville for jets.

Excellent, thanks alot for the reply Quirky
I was hoping there was a more positive answer for the Cold Lake issue......unfortunately i doesn't sound very good for my situation, but i'll cross that bridge when i get there.

Just another quick question.

What format is the QL5 in? i.e in house POs or getting sent to Borden again for a time?
If it's in borden how long is it?

Thanks again.

I've done 2 of these missions as AWS/AVN. So, yes.

It's more dependent on your type of unit. For example, TacHel will most likely be in the thick of things where-as Auroras will be unlikely to deploy on such missions.

As an AWS Tech Junior it's usually either Comox BC, Coldlake AB, Baggotville QC, or Greenwood NS, but I have seen postings for AWS Tech Junior spots at trention and some other bases, not nearly as many as the first 4 tho.

The OP probably doesn't have access to the DWAN yet but if your about to OT/CT and do have DWAN access, hop on EMMA and there is a link to search for posting locations, looking for the AWS Tech J postings, the J means junior and indicates that its usually for freshly trained techs.

Tcm621 said:
The three "training" bases are cold lake, bagotville and Greewood, NS. You could also concievably be posted to Comox, BC. For fully qualified TECHs, there are positions at the tac helicopter squadrons, and maritime helicopter squadrons. This covers just about every base in canada. Trenton is a posting because as a AWS you load all the chaff and flares, which Hercs have. If it involves aircraft and weapons, or explosives, or anything like that an AWS will be in charge of it.

I hate to burst your bubble, but when I was in Trenton there were very few AWS and most of them were EOD positions. The AWS also build up the chaff/flare buckets but the units install. It's preferred that new AWS start at a fighter base as they are by far the largest users of munitions.

Welcome to the trade.

AirDet said:
I hate to burst your bubble, but when I was in Trenton there were very few AWS and most of them were EOD positions. The AWS also build up the chaff/flare buckets but the units install. It's preferred that new AWS start at a fighter base as they are by far the largest users of munitions.

Welcome to the trade.

There are very few AWS anywhere because there aren't that many of us. Cold lake and bagotville are taking most of them right now. In Comox there is exactly one AWS tech posted to each shift and both of us are apprentices. There are positions in Trenton but they are being held by AVN types right now. That will change.

Tcm621 said:
There are positions in Trenton but they are being held by AVN types right now. That will change.
Less than half of the Trenton positions are AVN now. TCM is right that we are a small trade but we're growing steadily.

Dannyboyeast said:
Excellent, thanks alot for the reply Quirky
I was hoping there was a more positive answer for the Cold Lake issue......unfortunately i doesn't sound very good for my situation, but i'll cross that bridge when i get there.

Just another quick question.

What format is the QL5 in? i.e in house POs or getting sent to Borden again for a time?
If it's in borden how long is it?

Thanks again.

If you are posted to an aurora sqn you will be doing servicing. I am doing it now. Your QL5 will be in the form of a OSS(or "type") course and where it is will depend on the aircraft you work on. Auroras are in greenwood NS and CF18 are in Bagotville (IIRC). I would assume that Hercs would be trenton and Sea kings would be Shearwater, although they are not posting new AWSTs into those position yet.

I didn't realize this thread kept going! Thanks for all the information fellas! I am very excited. I begin training on June 2nd. I am hoping to get sent to Comox as my training base and the last place I want to go is Cold Lake (looks like there is a whole lot of nothing out there). Then maybe one day I will be able to scoop up one of the scarce positions at CFB Trenton. Thanks again guys I am looking forward to it all

Back