• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Weapons System Technician (AWS TECH)

AirDet said:
I've done 2 of these missions as AWS/AVN. So, yes.

It's more dependent on your type of unit. For example, TacHel will most likely be in the thick of things where-as Auroras will be unlikely to deploy on such missions.

Okay that makes sense! Thanks!

Would anyone care to provide me with some details on the training that takes place in Borden? Is it Monday-Friday with weekends/holidays off just like any other school? What are the living quarters like? Are there written and practical tests every week? Work load? Things to do in and around Borden (outdoor activities) ? Thanks in advance for your time and information!

I was recently talking to a CF member who is based in Petawawa and he spoke about the Chinook helicopters they have there. I asked if they were equipped with flares but he was not sure. So I am wondering if they are in fact equipped with flares and if there is chance for me to be posted there. I'm not too worried about where I will be going, but if Petawawa is an option that will be my first pick when they ask (and I understand my preference means little to nothing).

Also, if anyone can tell me what life will be like during my training in Borden that'd be fantastic. Thanks in advance.

As it stands right now, cold lake. Bagotville, greenwood or comox are your posting options. Trenton will open up eventually. I haven't heard anything about the Chinooks yet.

Borden is bearable. Great course if you go to work on Cf18s but other platforms, less so.

Thanks for the reply! I guess I will be crossing my fingers for Comox. Cheers

While not an AWST myself, understanding that the Chinook was designed with a very capable self-protection suite that includes IR flares, chaff and active directed infrared counter-measures, those are self-protection systems that would not necessarily provide the same demand for large groups of AWS techs as clearly the CF-18s would require, and to a lesser degree the Auroras (and Sea Kings / Cyclones).  The Chinook is still in the early stages of implementation and the self-protection systems will be implement in the years to come.  As a first tour, where you will be looking to learn the craft of your trade, including as many of the aspects of armament and weapon systems as possible, you would likely not get as much out of a posting to Chinooks as you would on the line at a fighter squadron.  The AVN techs, FEs and door gunners look after the C6 machine guns, so you would be dealing specifically with the chaff and flares only, no other weapon systems.

:2c:

Regards
G2G

Thank you for the detailed response! I guess all I can do is just go with flow. Cheers

Does anyone know the upcoming AWS tech course dates?

Thanks in advance

If you have DWAN access CFSATE has a good school page accessible thru 16 Wing page under heading schools of 16 wing. You will find everything you need there under Lancaster Sqn tab

last I checked they were running about 4 a year. Expect to be at CFSATE for at least a year between  PAT, Common Core, BEET and QL3.

I am an AWS Technician in training. I arrived in Borden at the end of the first quarter 2014. I've done Common Core and am 1/3 done BEET, My 3s start in in a few months and I should be done by the end of the first quarter of 2015. PAT sucks major ***, I recommend going to the gym two times a day so that you minimize your time dying of boredom.

Volunteer for taskings at every opportunity. Get your 404s. Take an online course. Just don't sit in the canteen and vegetate.

I have previous service but I won't be offered a contract until they can put me on a course that's why I'm inquiring. And I have my 404s already but I'm just curious on dates

Hello everyone !

A friend of mine is looking into joining the army , he went on the forces.ca website and saw the AWS Tech video and basically fell in love with it ! ( gotta admit that video made that job look like a friggin paradise ! ) but he had a lot of questions regarding the job itself ... I was wondering if there was any AWS Tech here that could help him out. 

Right now I'm in the Artillery so I can't really help him .... I don't even know if they have to go trough SQ and stuff like that after BMQ ! So if anyone could let us know what would the correct way to become an AWS is we would greatly appreciate !

I did a quick search , but there doesn't seem to have that many out here , and a lot of posts were about people OTing to AWS which is not our case !!

Thanks a lot !

You would have to apply for a CT like everyone else.  AFAIK they don't do SQ.  They are a hard air trade.  I know a few around the hanger and will ask if I think of it.

it's not for me , it's for a friend of mine ....

I'm more then happy doing artillery right now , but he applied for the AWS Tech and was asking me for some info !

Apply as per usual. After BMQ they go to Borden for common core (tools and paperwork stuff), Basic Electronic and Electric training and Ql3. There is also a week long air environmental course which is basic history of the air force stuff.

Its a good trade. I like it.

Eye In The Sky said:
Don't you Armourers go to Gagetown - CFSME at some point for EOD trg stuff?
Eventually we all have to get cmd basic but there is a huge backlog. It won't happen until after ql 5 anyway.

Back