• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)

As soon as you are done at ACS (if you pass) you are off to TO.
Guess you are heading that way regardless.

If you reside in Toronto, you will be asked to stay Tuesday night at your place and meet up for medicals Wednesday morning(it makes sense). At least that is what happened with me.

Good luck.
  :salute: :cdn:

Thank you all for your support and information,

Just an update, I passed the ASC top of my course and have passed all medicals so far. I'm hoping to be in the air sooner than later.

WOW, lots of successful candidates...Congrats to you all!

I will be in Trenton in a few weeks and I am very scared about the Speed/distance/time and fuel consumption test.

Which one is better? Making sure they are all good or trying to get the right answer without wasting any time. like 1 minute per questions?

Thank you

Hi everyone!

I've just recently completed and passed ACS for pilot and AEC. Just waiting to hear back now. I can answer most questions about what ACS is like so feel free to PM me or just reply :)

Tgunn1109 said:
WOW, lots of successful candidates...Congrats to you all!

I will be in Trenton in a few weeks and I am very scared about the Speed/distance/time and fuel consumption test.

Which one is better? Making sure they are all good or trying to get the right answer without wasting any time. like 1 minute per questions?

Thank you

Hey!
Don't stress too much. There's only so much you can really prepare for. Sure practice your time/distance/fuel calculations but as long as you can complete those questions in around a minute per question, I wouldn't worry too much. My average was around 55 seconds.
This test will be THE hardest test you'll ever do in your life. Seriously, it's no joke. Get enough sleep, stay hydrated, and try not to stress too much.
Out of our group of 17, 5 passed for pilot.

I did ASC a while ago, and a few things afterwards. I disagree with that fellow.

Things may have changed, but I don't think that there has been that much of a reversal.

Loachman said:
I did ASC a while ago, and a few things afterwards. I disagree with that fellow.

Things may have changed, but I don't think that there has been that much of a reversal.

I doubt things have changed much. I think he was exaggerating. Anywho, it's the most difficult test I've done so far. I found it more challenging than university exams.

Keepsprayin said:
Sure practice your time/distance/fuel calculations but as long as you can complete those questions in around a minute per question

I think this is way too slow. For TSD calculations you should be at the 10-20s range and for fuel consumption calculations 30-40s max.

reinvented said:
I think this is way too slow. For TSD calculations you should be at the 10-20s range and for fuel consumption calculations 30-40s max.

Possibly. Just goes to show you that the math is just a portion of the tesr. There is so much more to test on. I was scoring around the 50-55 seconds mark for fuel consumptions and around 30-40 for TSD and I passed without any problems. Of course the better you can do the better it is but just keep in mind you have to score a minimum in all categories to pass so even if you do well with math, if your spatial reasoning sucks you can still fail the testing.

If you spend nearly a minute doing an endurance/fuel consumption calculation you'll be hanging onto the elevators/tail boom banging in the door to get the back-enders to help you back inside the aircraft.  You should always have in the back of your mind mental re-calculations of time to go and fuel remaining, as well as a few other critical calculations pretty much on a continuous basis, not only for absolute numbers and timings, but also assessing the better/worse trending of those calculations to have a solid understanding of how your current situation is developing. Timings as you have described are 'good enough' to have gotten you into the front-end of the selection process, but those shouldn't be taken as indicators of what is required actually flying an aircraft operationally in the RCAF.

:2c:

G2G

Good2Golf said:
If you spend nearly a minute doing an endurance/fuel consumption calculation you'll be hanging onto the elevators/tail boom banging in the door to get the back-enders to help you back inside the aircraft.  You should always have in the back of your mind mental re-calculations of time to go and fuel remaining, as well as a few other critical calculations pretty much on a continuous basis, not only for absolute numbers and timings, but also assessing the better/worse trending of those calculations to have a solid understanding of how your current situation is developing. Timings as you have described are 'good enough' to have gotten you into the front-end of the selection process, but those shouldn't be taken as indicators of what is required actually flying an aircraft operationally in the RCAF.

:2c:

G2G

Absolutely, I agree. That's why I'll be practicing my arithmetic to get faster at these kinds of calculations. But as this is a thread regarding ACS, I was just telling people my current experience. I have no idea how competitive my test results are, I've only just recently done it so I'll keep you folks up to date if I get an offer.

Fair enough, but what is true about this business is it's one of an endless series of steps and you're always climbing.  Good on getting through the entry portal.  Stay on the math and, if you haven't thought about it when brushing up on arithmetic, think about doing a little reading on the principle of the slide rule (linear, or circular like the E-6B).  Similar principles of ratios are involved in tachymetric calculation of speeds or distances, hence the tachymeter on the outer bezel of many aviator chronographs.  Never underestimate the value of a tachymeter when your AMS decides to do a Ctrl-Alt-Del when you're setting up for a final run in to your Tgt/destination of choice.

Cheers
G2G

reinvented said:

thanks that info is a bit of a relief

heading to Trenton on Monday, tackling this mentally as a fun vacation rather than a challenge

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but just in case you're not I don't think that's the right mindset to have. The ACS experience is pretty fun but as soon as those tests start you should definitely take it seriously if you actually want to pass.

Good evening,

I have my interview and medical at CFRC Kingston on the 29th of March.  I have applied for AEC, Intelligence Officer, and MARS officer.  For the AEC position, will I have to do the ACS at Trenton after the interview, or would they want the results before the interview?

If the case is that is done after the interview, is there a long wait before I am asked to do ACS?  Right now, I work for an accounting firm, and it's tax season, so I need to plan any time off carefully and well in advance.

Thanks for any advice.

You have to get past the initial recruiting stage prior to Aircrew Selection - there is no sense doing the higher level before the lower level has been successfully completed.

There is a whole thread regarding Aircrew Selection. If you've not yet read through it, you should. Also check the Application Process Samples thread.

Back