• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)

Thanks Loachman!  My bosses aren't keen on people taking time off during tax season, so I need to plan my time off as carefully as possible.  I wasn't sure if ACS testing came before or after the initial interview, and whether I needed to book time off for it before April 30th.

bscriber said:
Thanks Loachman!  My bosses aren't keen on people taking time off during tax season, so I need to plan my time off as carefully as possible.  I wasn't sure if ACS testing came before or after the initial interview, and whether I needed to book time off for it before April 30th.

Aircrew Selection Testing is now administered prior to the Medical/Interview stage at your local CFRC.  So if your CFAT results are reasonably good, they will contact you at some point in time to schedule the ASC portion.  If you aren't available due to work commitments, you just need to tell them this and they should be able to work around it.

One learns something new everyday. Thanks.

And this makes a lot of sense to me, as the non-flight-surgeon numpty doctor that did my medical prior to my ASC in the latter part of the last century tried to claim, based upon the eye exam, that my eyesight would deteriorate to an unacceptable level within five years. ASC cleared that up, and explained that standard exams are not predictive and there was no reason to make such a claim.

I am not sure if I agree with the lack of interview before ASC, but cannot think of a good reason for requiring one either.

Thanks for the info...I haven't yet been called to do my ASC, but I do have my interview on the 29th.  I'll see what positions are offered in the interview, as I have also applied to Intelligence Officer and MARS officer.  Intel is my personal preference, AEC was my 2nd choice :)

Hi I recieved the confirmation for the ACS in Trenton for april 11-12 , does anyone have tips for me , I am excitted but nervous at the same.....  ;D

Recruiting Center: Montreal
Regular/Reserve: Reserve
Officer/NCM:    Pilot
Trade Choice 1: Helo
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: September, 2015
First Contact: October, 2015
CFAT: January 14, 2016 Passed
Medical : February 18, 2016
Interview completed: February 18, 2016
ACS TES: April 11-12, 2016
Background :Civil Pilot
Merit listed:
Position Offered:
Enrollment :
Basic Training Begins:

Tips? Yes. They're all in the preceding twenty-two pages. You have time to read them.

"Officer/NCM:" is not "Pilot". It's "Officer" or "NCM".

"Trade (really "Occupation", as, prior to the adoption of the term "Occupation", Officers had "Classifications" and NCMs had "Trades") Choice" would be "Pilot".

reinvented said:
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but just in case you're not I don't think that's the right mindset to have. The ACS experience is pretty fun but as soon as those tests start you should definitely take it seriously if you actually want to pass.

I did pass in the end, barely

really that mentality is more of a way to keep calm when dealing with stress

now all I have to do is email the recruiting center till I get merit listed

the examiners read this thread btw

rookie9 said:
Hi I recieved the confirmation for the ACS in Trenton for april 11-12 , does anyone have tips for me , I am excitted but nervous at the same.....  ;D

As Loachman said, this entire thread is full of tips to help you through the ACS process.

I purchased a subscription for Lumosity to help me train but I didn't find it all that helpful since there is very little on the test that relates to the games in the apps. But it is a good way to get your brain working as some of the games put you under stress while accomplishing tasks and that is useful for the test since you are constantly under stress.

Also, use speeddistancetime.info to practice your fuel consumption and speed distance time equations. Try to get the lowest possible time per question.

Most importantly, keep calm during the test. Don't fret if you feel like you're not doing well. There were times when I felt I had completely failed a test and I honestly though I wasn't going to pass the test.

Oh and pay attention the presentations they have after the first day of testing. It answered a lot of my questions about the training process and more importantly, it opened my mind to the other trades (ACSO & AEC).

rookie9 said:

Recruiting Center: Montreal
Regular/Reserve: Reserve
Officer/NCM:    Pilot
Trade Choice 1: Helo
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: September, 2015
First Contact: October, 2015
CFAT: January 14, 2016 Passed
Medical : February 18, 2016
Interview completed: February 18, 2016
ACS TES: April 11-12, 2016
Background :Civil Pilot
Merit listed:
Position Offered:
Enrollment :
Basic Training Begins:

Cool, Im there on 11-12Apr 16 also :cdn: :salute:. Only tip I can give you is to prepare for every aspect described in the candidate guide. Ive been practicing for months.
See you there!
Jacques

:cdn:

Hi there I was wondering if anyone knew approximately how often the ASC will be conducting test sessions and also how often will BMOQ be running a new course this summer.

Just thought it would give me an idea of what the best case scenario might be if all my paper work goes through smoothly.

Thanks so much [lol:

Aircrew Selection (ASC) testing runs biweekly.

BMOQ Serials are course loaded based on the successful completion of application processing and the demand for Officer occupations.  At the present time, there are two BMOQ (DEO) Serials upcoming on 16 and 23 May.

architectgrad said:
:cdn:

Hi there I was wondering if anyone knew approximately how often the ASC will be conducting test sessions and also how often will BMOQ be running a new course this summer.

Just thought it would give me an idea of what the best case scenario might be if all my paper work goes through smoothly.

Thanks so much [lol:

Welcome to Army.ca, architectgrad

There is a ton of information regarding these matters on this Site already. Please explore relevant older threads, especially those stickied at the top of each forum. That includes massive ASC and Application Process Samples threads, and many others. There is no sense repeating questions that have been answered before, sometimes many times, and you will also likely find answers to questions that have not even occurred to you yet.

Hi All,

I have a little bit of an odd situation and I'm hoping someone will be able to ease my mind a little bit.

I applied for DEO Pilot in 2013 and progressed successfully through the application process to the point where I was asked to attend ACS in October of 2014. I managed to pass the dreaded aptitude test in Trenton however I failed the medical in Toronto due to high blood pressure. I passed all other portions of the medical testing. My file was closed after the failed medical and I was instructed to re-apply online if I wanted to try again. (I found out later in the medical forum I could have requested my file be re-opened by the medical staff rather than fully re-apply... ooops)

As a type A personality my failure was unacceptable and I re-applied promptly in early 2015. Finally, in April 2016 I completed my interview and update medical successfully with normal BP! I'm currently waiting for my medical to be approved by Ottawa. In order to keep my blood pressure low I'm looking for answers to these questions!

1. Is my aptitude test score from ACS in October 2014 still valid now in 2016?
2. Can I be granted AF1 without visiting the Defense Center in Toronto again? (Scored good BP reading at update medical and submitted 24HR BP monitor results showing normal BP)

Thanks for your time!

cjdm1489 said:
1. Is my aptitude test score from ACS in October 2014 still valid now in 2016?
2. Can I be granted AF1 without visiting the Defense Center in Toronto again? (Scored good BP reading at update medical and submitted 24HR BP monitor results showing normal BP)

I do believe that ASC test results are valid for 24 months (max), after that you will most likely need to re-do them.  As far as the medical portion is concerned, they may very well just forward your file back to Toronto for review without the need for a physical visit.

Ok that's what I wanted to hear. We shall see what happens. I know the old flight sim aptitude test was valid for 5 years however I don't know about the more recent test. 24 months seems short, could I lose that many brain cells in 24 months?  :blotto:

I also have this date booked for ACS. Four hours on Friday for testing for AES OP. I guess this is a new process applicants have to take? Or maybe it is a one day medical? I am not sure but will study just in case.

reinvented said:
I think this is way too slow. For TSD calculations you should be at the 10-20s range and for fuel consumption calculations 30-40s max.
So would doing 16 seconds a question be good? thats what i score on the practice questions for TSD and usually get 80 to 90% correct

Good morning,

Just wanted to write to say that I have completed my ACS testing and passed (just barely).  What a brutal experience!

Anyways, if there is anyone from the 2016061A (06-08 June 2016) serial that is on here, please feel free to PM me. I'd like to keep in touch. 

Sincerely,

Brian (the guy who lived in Trenton, if that helps)

Hi all,

I've been selected to go to ACS in August here. However, I am somewhat confused. I have not yet gone for an interview. My understanding was that you do not go to ACS until you have done sufficiently well both on your interview AND your CFAT before you are flown to Tranton. Anyways, I'm excited, but a little bit apprehensive about whether or not they have made a mistake by wanting to send me this early in the process.

Back