• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)

You do the whole battery of tests

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

Hello all,

I'm currently scheduled to write my test for ACSO in novemember. I've extensively studied my time/distance/speed and fuel consumption arethmatic; however, I've noticed that on the Canadian forces aircrew selection testing candidate guide in the example given for the airborne numerical test there seems to be a parcel weight that needs to be taken into consideration. My question is, should I consider looking into how weight effects time/speed/distance or is simply knowing the formulas and being competent with them enough. Thank you for your time.

Hey gronkpatriot what date in November are you going? I am going for November 16-17. How well have you been doing on your speed and distance and fuel consumption questions? I have been about 20s for the earlier and 30-45s for later.
Anyway I don't think the weight of the object would be effecting the speed otherwise I think the questions might be too complicated to do in your head. I am just guessing this. Someone who has taken the test already would know better

Hey all,

I just got my dates to select for ACS.

I am quite nervous about the math part as I am not that strong, but I have been practicing with the website provided. I am still not nailing the numbers 100% (aka the awnser will be 18 minutes and I thought 20, or thought 30 mph and the answer was 28).

How bad does it hurt you if your answers are all just estimates and not bang on? Like....

At 35 mph, how far do you travel in 8 hours and 24 mins? I guessed it at 290 and the answer is 294

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to the formulas or most importantly working with MINUTES rather then hours?

Ive also been told, that the math tests (time/speed/distance) are for airtraffic control and the other trade I cant think of the name at the moment. They dont count negatively toward the pilot trade if you bungle them. This was coming from someone that took the ACS a few months ago.

Hey Daishi

When are you going for you ACS. I am not sure how it is graded but you need to work accurately for as far as I know. The question to mention did you get it on this website http://www.speeddistancetime.info/

Daishi said:
Hey all,

I just got my dates to select for ACS.

I am quite nervous about the math part as I am not that strong, but I have been practicing with the website provided. I am still not nailing the numbers 100% (aka the awnser will be 18 minutes and I thought 20, or thought 30 mph and the answer was 28).

How bad does it hurt you if your answers are all just estimates and not bang on? Like....

At 35 mph, how far do you travel in 8 hours and 24 mins? I guessed it at 290 and the answer is 294

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to the formulas or most importantly working with MINUTES rather then hours?

Ive also been told, that the math tests (time/speed/distance) are for airtraffic control and the other trade I cant think of the name at the moment. They dont count negatively toward the pilot trade if you bungle them. This was coming from someone that took the ACS a few months ago.

There are several components on ASC which require mental math skills, some of which require precise answers and some are more focused on speed of calculation and being able to estimate answers is important. However, you should strive to get both faster and more precise with your practice.

Try to break down the calculations into more manageable chuncks. In the example you gave, 8 hours and 24 minutes equates to 8.4 hours, so all you have to do is 8.4 x 35. You can break that down even further: 8 x 35 = 280, 4 x 35 = 140, 0.4 x 35 = 14 and you can add together 280 and 14 to get 294. Remember fractions of 60 to convert between minutes and hours: 30 minutes is half an hour, 15 minutes is a quarter of an hour, 12 mins is a fifth, 6 mins is a tenth, etc.

Daishi said:
Ive also been told, that the math tests (time/speed/distance) are for airtraffic control and the other trade I cant think of the name at the moment. They dont count negatively toward the pilot trade if you bungle them.

I would hazard a guess that the other trade is Air Combat Systems Officer (ACSO).  I'm surprised that applicants for Pilots won't need to do as well on the S-T-D section, since they do that during training as well.

So it seems ACS is all messed up. I was given dates during the middle of Oct for Nov and Dec.... I choose and all of those dates have come and gone.

I spoke to my file manager and he said they just never responded.... gave me new dates to pick for January and Feb.... I wonder what the likely hood is that those dates will come and go. This whole process is ridiculous. Ive already had to do my references and background checks twice as it has taken them so long to process me through their system.

Good day all,

The CT ball is finally rolling and ive been given the choice to pick my ACS dates. Now ive heard that if you choose them for a new fiscal year (e.g anything after 31 Mar 17) you stand a better chance of not competing as hard between candidates. Im wondering what their recruiting pool is this year, because in others its only been about 75 candidates.

If anyone could help me out that would be great. I've been trying to CT since June 2013 and this ACS is a no fail task.

Been using this site to brush up on my math for many moons, and definitely recommend it: http://www.speeddistancetime.info/test

From what I hear, you are pretty much guaranteed to go to Basic if you pass ACS for the pilot trade atleast. They still have another 3-4 years of training before you get your wings with failure and drop out rates decreasing each year.

Daishi said:
From what I hear, you are pretty much guaranteed to go to Basic if you pass ACS for the pilot trade atleast. They still have another 3-4 years of training before you get your wings with failure and drop out rates decreasing each year.

This is untrue for all entry plans; especially for DEO and CEOTP candidates. Shortly after ACS you will have a Pilot-specific medical examination which many people fail. Following this you're still in heavy competition against other applicants nationwide.

SJC000 said:
This is untrue for all entry plans; especially for DEO and CEOTP candidates. Shortly after ACS you will have a Pilot-specific medical examination which many people fail. Following this you're still in heavy competition against other applicants nationwide.

my intent is CEOTP and ya i hear its fierce competition. With that being said i want the best edge. I sent back my response for one date in Feb and two for beginning of Apr. So we'll see what they say about that.

am i right to assume theres also an interview prior to ACS? because i heard there was.

SJC000 said:

The medical is included with ACS if you pass the two days of testing. You do the two days then if you pass you get sent for the further medical. If you pass that then you have passed ACS. From what I have been told, if you manage to pass the entire package, including the medical, you have a highly likely chance of getting the call for basic, ESPECIALLY for the piloting trade. There is a MASSIVE amount of spots for pilots, and it grows every year as there have been large amounts of people retiring, and not enough people getting through the door fast enough. Tons of people applying, but they cant process and get people through the system quick enough....and then all those people that do that fail.... leads to a gulch in open positions. Last time I checked there were 75 positions....for this fiscal year. At the beginning I was told 43.

Just pass ACS and don't stress out. I have yet again been told that the T/S/D calculations have no bearing on pilots, yes you still have to do the testing... but if you fail that part its not part of the pilot testing for ACS. You will be taking it during your training, so it is always good to know tho.

Daishi said:
The medical is included with ACS if you pass the two days of testing. You do the two days then if you pass you get sent for the further medical. If you pass that then you have passed ACS. From what I have been told, if you manage to pass the entire package, including the medical, you have a highly likely chance of getting the call for basic, ESPECIALLY for the piloting trade. There is a MASSIVE amount of spots for pilots, and it grows every year as there have been large amounts of people retiring, and not enough people getting through the door fast enough. Tons of people applying, but they cant process and get people through the system quick enough....and then all those people that do that fail.... leads to a gulch in open positions. Last time I checked there were 75 positions....for this fiscal year. At the beginning I was told 43.

Just pass ACS and don't stress out. I have yet again been told that the T/S/D calculations have no bearing on pilots, yes you still have to do the testing... but if you fail that part its not part of the pilot testing for ACS. You will be taking it during your training, so it is always good to know tho.

Ill take all that into mind. I knew there was a more extensive medical after the two days of testing (measuring the reach of your arms, height, and other shenanigans). still I am bombarding myself with fuel consumption calculations and all mental math, no pen, no paper, no calculator.

from my buddies who have successfully CT'd to pilot, they have provided me with a ton of helpful hints. If i make it through ill be sure to let pass on what i can, pay it forward so to speak.

Thanks again for all help again guys, ive been following this thread for awhile

~ Could you possibly share some of the hints prior to going ?  :christmas happy: ( I have read the thread, I'm just curious as to what you were told first hand by guys who have been through it, confidentiality in mind of course )

I have probably done hundreds of http://speeddistancetime.info questions by now because I have had to clear my autocomplete because it was filling in the wrong answers in the boxes haha!

Thank you for any advice! :cdn:

Mannfred said:
Ill take all that into mind. I knew there was a more extensive medical after the two days of testing (measuring the reach of your arms, height, and other shenanigans). still I am bombarding myself with fuel consumption calculations and all mental math, no pen, no paper, no calculator.

from my buddies who have successfully CT'd to pilot, they have provided me with a ton of helpful hints. If i make it through ill be sure to let pass on what i can, pay it forward so to speak.

Thanks again for all help again guys, ive been following this thread for awhile

Be very careful with passing "hints". This thread IS monitored, as is the Reddit one. The confidentiality agreement you sign at aircrew selection is very wide in scope and non-specific. Passing on information, even that which is publicly available in the published guide, can be interpreted by the CoC at the ASC as a breach of your non-disclosure agreement, which has the potential to result in disciplinary action, and in the worst case could potentially affect your security clearance. If you pass ASC, get in, and then muck up your security clearance...that's bad.

Just a friendly heads up. I know we all want to help each other as much as we can, but the agreement you signed is very vague and covers a LOT. Anything that the CoC interprets as potentially giving an unfair advantage to one candidate over another can be viewed as a breach, and it's just not worth it. 

RyanHealy29 said:
Be very careful with passing "hints". This thread IS monitored, as is the Reddit one. The confidentiality agreement you sign at aircrew selection is very wide in scope and non-specific. Passing on information, even that which is publicly available in the published guide, can be interpreted by the CoC at the ASC as a breach of your non-disclosure agreement, which has the potential to result in disciplinary action, and in the worst case could potentially affect your security clearance. If you pass ASC, get in, and then muck up your security clearance...that's bad.

Just a friendly heads up. I know we all want to help each other as much as we can, but the agreement you signed is very vague and covers a LOT. Anything that the CoC interprets as potentially giving an unfair advantage to one candidate over another can be viewed as a breach, and it's just not worth it.

That was something else I was told, when you do ACS you sign a non disclosure act. Good to know for everyone viewing this thread.

There are twenty-four pages in this thread. It is rather unlikely that anything worthwhile can be said that has not already been said, "legally" or otherwise.

Thousands of us managed just fine in the distant past before Al Gore invented the internet. Relax, both now and during the tests themselves. Stress is not your friend.

Hello all,

I was contacted late December to select three dates for the ASC at Trenton. I selected three dates in February. I was then contacted early this week and told those dates have all been filled and to select new dates.

For anyone who can answer or has been through such rescheduling: ( I saw similar posts, but without updates )

1) is it likely that I will be attending the course on any of the new dates I've chosen ?

2) Are the courses filled based on CFAT scores, overall qualifications, application date etc. ?

----

[ I also indicated to my recruiter, who has been very helpful and communicative, that I am flexible outside of those 3 selected dates as well, & was told that information will be passed along as well. Hopefully that will allow the course loading authority further flexibility in case my chosen dates are high demand]

Hello Army.ca forum users,

I made the decision 8 months ago to join the forces, specifically the Air Force, in hopes of gaining a career, benefits and a future for myself and my girlfriend. I always have had an interest in the forces and decided this was the time for me to join.

I had questions about the Air Crew Selection Test. Now I do know a lot of what happens at the test is confidential, so please do not divulge anything sensitive. I'm just wondering how one could begin studying for this test. What subjects relate to this (ie Physics, math etc).  Also, my brother is a commercial airline pilot and I will be using him as a tutor in terms of concepts related to his profession. How much would the subjects learnt from commercial piloting relate to this test? 

The specific trades that I met requirements for via the aptitude test are Aerospace Control Officer and Combat Systems Officer.
Any experiences or suggestions related to those trades would also be an asset.

I've read all of the other posts thus far regarding this subject. I'm just hoping to get answers to my specific questions.

Thank you very much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back