• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alberta floods 2013

In Manitoba, after the 97 flood, the government would not give rebuild money, nor allow anyone to build in the flood plain, unless the buildings were raised up above the 100 year flood level.

Drive down Hwy 75 or 59 and you will see farm after farm sitting on hills....+

edit to add:

I am amazed that with the erratic nature of the Bow River they allowed the Saddle Dome and the whole downtown to be built without at least some form of levee system.  ::)

Yeah, I had never given that much thought before last week.

Looks like Calgary needs to dig a floodway...

SeaKingTacco said:
You can move your house if it is worth saving and we plant trees where your house used to be and turn it into parkland. 

That's what happened when a flood drowned 38 residents on Raymore Drive in Toronto.

Subsequent residential development on the lower section of the street was prohibited. Their houses were expropriated, and Metro renamed it Raymore Park.

29 acres complete with a trail, playground, and baseball diamonds.

SeaKingTacco said:
Yeah, I had never given that much thought before last week.

Looks like Calgary needs to dig a floodway...

Not much room in that valley for a floodway.....Maybe a Floonnel under the hills  ;D

George Wallace said:
Not much room in that valley for a floodway.....Maybe a Floonnel under the hills  ;D

How many times has Calgary flooded to this extent? When was the last huge flood like this one?

The plus side of building floodways, besides the obvious one, is the employment it provides for the construction industry, which spins off to all sectors of the economy.

Negative side - those who live downstream from the floodway. Small communities invariably cry "we were sacrificed to save (insert name of city here).

Probably a good idea.

SeaKingTacco said:
Ok, so Medicine Hat gets a Flunnel, too.  There, that was easy 8)

A good number of homes south of Winnipeg are either diked or built on higher terrain now.

Jim Seggie said:
How many times has Calgary flooded to this extent? When was the last huge flood like this one?

The plus side of building floodways, besides the obvious one, is the employment it provides for the construction industry, which spins off to all sectors of the economy.

Negative side - those who live downstream from the floodway. Small communities invariably cry "we were sacrificed to save (insert name of city here).

Eh....just do what we did....make a lake to put it into.....

er...wait....you mean the NDP didn't make Lake Winnipeg to help with the floodway?.....who knew....

Jim Seggie said:

Last bad flood was 2005, and only a handful of communities were evacuated, no bridges were in threat. So this is on a completely different scale, On the good side the Reserve element of OP Lentus just wrapped up after assembling 529 soldiers in the first 24 hours, which is just over half of 41 CBG. I toured around the city yesterday on a quick recce before we wrapped up and down town wasn't hit that hard, a lot of construction sites and underground parking needs to be pumped out but the visual damage to the down town core is next to nothing. The majority of the damage I saw was along the parks around both rivers, saw a Sea Container moved a good 30 ft with only a group of tree's that stopped it.

MilEME09 said:
Last bad flood was 2005, and only a handful of communities were evacuated, no bridges were in threat. So this is on a completely different scale, On the good side the Reserve element of OP Lentus just wrapped up after assembling 529 soldiers in the first 24 hours, which is just over half of 41 CBG. I toured around the city yesterday on a quick recce before we wrapped up and down town wasn't hit that hard, a lot of construction sites and underground parking needs to be pumped out but the visual damage to the down town core is next to nothing. The majority of the damage I saw was along the parks around both rivers, saw a Sea Container moved a good 30 ft with only a group of tree's that stopped it.

Unfortunately most of the damage is behind closed doors, with mold, dirt electrical, sewage, etc.  It's going to be a long time before many places can open and provide the level of services they were prior to all of this.

GAP said:
In Manitoba, after the 97 flood, the government would not give rebuild money, nor allow anyone to build in the flood plain, unless the buildings were raised up above the 100 year flood level.

Drive down Hwy 75 or 59 and you will see farm after farm sitting on hills....+

edit to add:

I am amazed that with the erratic nature of the Bow River they allowed the Saddle Dome and the whole downtown to be built without at least some form of levee system.  ::)

We really have to start thinking this way in Calgary. Unfortunately, we here have a very complacent attitude towards nature here ("we don't need plows, a chinook will come;" "it won't flood in High River!"). This is "the" flood of the century (time will tell), but I can tell you that in the time I've lived here, High River has flooded several times, and the area of Calgary along the Elbow river has flooded probably four times already. We refuse to accept that some things have got to change. It's more wishful thinking than anything; some of you have probably seen the High River residents talking about how they were told they lived in an "unfloodable" part of High River. With our realtors that doesn't surprise me. However, to give back some credit to the realtors - they lived there too. Ones I know have lost their home three times already. They've paid high keeping their money where their mouth is.

However, doing all these things takes labour and money. The province has little of the former, and the government, less of the latter. Things will simply go back to the way they were.

Here, reprinted under the usual caveats of the Copyright Act, is a Winnipeg Free Press article stating this disaster could have been avoided if they had implemented recommendations put forward after the 2005 flood.

Alberta flood damage could have been reduced if report heeded: experts

By: John Cotter, The Canadian Press

Posted: 06/24/2013 4:27 PM | Last Modified: 06/24/2013 5:30 PM

EDMONTON - An expert says devastation could have been reduced in southern Alberta if the government had followed its own report on how to lessen the effects of severe flooding.
The report was completed by a government task force in 2006 in the wake of a flood the previous year that killed three people and caused $400 million in damage in many of the same communities hit by high water in recent days.

"In my opinion, if this report had been implemented, I sincerely believe that the damage we are seeing right now could have been reduced," Paul Kovacs, executive director of the Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction, said Monday from Toronto. "I thought this report did a really good job covering the right topics and offering very specific advice on what should be done."

The report called for extensive mapping of flood risk areas and said 36 communities required flood risk assessments. It also called on the government to stop selling Crown land in flood-prone areas and to prohibit disaster recovery payments for new, inappropriate developments in flood risk zones.
Seven years later, it's not clear how many of the report's 18 recommendations have been put in place.

Municipal Affairs Minister Doug Griffith said some work has been done but there is no way all of the report's recommendations could be fully implemented. "It is work in progress, I don't think you could ever fully complete all of the recommendations," Griffiths has said.

"No matter how much mapping you do, and how much mitigation you do, there are still going to be some risks because it is hard to move a whole community back five miles from the river."

When the task force submitted its report in 2006, which included input from four cabinet ministers, it estimated it would cost $306 million to fully implement the recommended flood mitigation strategy.

On Monday, Premier Alison Redford announced the province will spend $1 billion to kick-start the first phase of recovery from she has called the worst flooding in the province's history.
The Alberta government plans to hold a technical briefing in Calgary on Tuesday to explain its response to the 2006 flood mitigation plan, which the government released to the public just last summer.

Kovacs said it is cheaper to invest in flood mitigation than dealing with such tragedies after the fact.
"You can't stop the rain from falling or the flood from striking, but if you anticipate and invest ahead of time and manage these risks appropriately, they don't need to become disasters," he said.

The Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction says it was established by Canada’s property and insurance industry as an independent, not-for-profit research institute affiliated with the University of Western Ontario.

Article Link

MilEME09 said:

A great response all around from TF Silvertip.  It was interesting that we basically had to force the City to accept help from the Army, and in truth, they didn't really need it.

PPCLI Guy said:
A great response all around from TF Silvertip.  It was interesting that we basically had to force the City to accept help from the Army, and in truth, they didn't really need it.

They seemed to welcome the help more once we actually showed them that we actually had skills they needed, such as the recce guys checking roads, and the engineering building berms around power sub stations. The people of Calgary were grateful for it as well. Saturday we had a random group just drop off sandwiches, cookies, muffins, fruit and other food for the entire TF. Chain actually asked them to give it to the drop in center, but the drop in didn't have a need for it, or any where else apparently.

EDIT: Video of the mayor thanking TF Silvertip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf1vOBZxkkY&feature=player_embedded

Is there video of the Bde Comd's speech?  I was there in that crew

I was impressed by the Mayor of Calgary.

He projected a sense of calm when he wa briefing or being interviewed.

PPCLI Guy said:
Is there video of the Bde Comd's speech?  I was there in that crew

where he asks wtf a silvertip is? I haven't seen one, I think I saw someone recording it over by all the officers, if I see it turn up ill post it

MilEME09 said:
where he asks wtf a silvertip is? I haven't seen one, I think I saw someone recording it over by all the officers, if I see it turn up ill post it

Thanks

MilEME09 said:
where he asks wtf a silvertip is? ....
It appears (with the usual caveats about Wikipedia) a "silvertip" can be
1)  another name for grizzly bear;
2)  a type of badger;
3)  a type of fir tree;
4)  a type of shark; or
5) "a small freshwater fish (Hasemania nana) found in Brazil".
Take your pick!

As for "lentus" (name of the OP), Google Translate says it could mean indifferent, tough, clinging, pliant, flexible, pliable, lingering, limber, supple, sluggish, tedious, sticky, viscid, viscous, tardy, resistant or clammy.

Made me incredibly proud to see local people and military personnel working together lugging sandbags and building walls to help stop the water. 

Back