• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alexandre Bissonnette: QC Mosque shooter- 29 Jan 2017

dapaterson

Army.ca Dinosaur
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Multiple media reporting this story

CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-mosque-gun-shots-1.3957686

Radio Canada: http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1013825/centre-culturel-islamique-quebec-mosquee-tirs-policiers

#SteFoy is trending on Twitter.

- mod edit to add date to thread title -

Happy to hear arrests have already been made.

More coverage:

BBC: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38793071

Montreal Gazette: http://montrealgazette.com/storyline/4-reported-dead-at-shooting-at-quebec-city-mosque

Toronto Star: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/01/29/witnesses-report-shooting-at-mosque-in-quebec-city.html

dapaterson said:
More coverage:

BBC: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38793071

"Local newspaper Le Soleil said it had obtained information that one of the suspects was a 27-year-old with "a Quebec name", and one had an AK-47 automatic weapon in his possession. Police, however, have not released such details."

So a french name? and I highly doubt it was an AK-47

Haha, trying not to say it was a white dude. 

Also, highly unlikely it was an AK.  Probably a CZ 858

My prayers for those killed and injured in this tragic attack.

Bzzliteyr said:
Haha, trying not to say it was a white dude. 

True, Quebec has always been a strong hold with some supremacist Ideology, groups like La Meute, Soldiers of Odin and Atalante Québec are very prevalent in rural Québec . And so on. You don't see many Jewish groups willing to do this sort of thing in Canada, so the prime suspect would be white supremacists.

Edit * I had a typo in 'You do see many Jewish groups willing to do this sort of thing in Canada', I ment to say don't.

tomahawk6 said:
My prayers for those killed and injured in this tragic attack.
Same ...

This from the Mayor, in English ...
Statement from the Mayor of Québec City regarding the attack at the Québec Islamic Cultural Centre

Québec, January 29, 2017 – The Mayor of Québec, M. Regis Labeaume, has made the following statement concerning the attack that took place today at the Québec Islamic Cultural Centre:

“Québec is in shock tonight in the aftermath of the tragic events that took place at the Québec Islamic Cultural Centre. My first thoughts go to the victims and their families who were gathered for prayer. Québec is an open-minded city where all can live together peacefully and respectfully” says Québec City Mayor Regis Labeaume. “I urge the people to unite and stand together. Québec is a strong city. Québec is a proud city.  Québec is a city that is open to the world.”

The City of Québec has opened its Emergency Coordination Centre to manage the situation. The Mayor is on site as well as public security personnel.
... and in French
Déclaration du maire de Québec concernant l’attentat au Centre culturel islamique de Québec

Québec, le 29 janvier 2017 – Le maire de Québec, M. Régis Labeaume, a fait la déclaration suivante en lien avec l’attentat survenu aujourd’hui au Centre culturel islamique de Québec :

« Québec est sous le choc ce soir à la suite du drame survenu au Centre culturel islamique de Québec. Mes premières pensées vont vers les victimes et leurs familles touchées alors qu’ils étaient réunis pour la prière. Québec est une ville ouverte et où tous doivent pouvoir vivre ensemble en sécurité et dans le respect, a déclaré le maire de Québec, M. Régis Labeaume. J’invite toute la population à s’unir et à être solidaire. Québec est forte, Québec est fière, Québec est ouverte sur le monde. »

La Ville de Québec a ouvert son centre de coordination pour gérer la situation. Le maire est sur place ainsi que les intervenants en sécurité publique.
The PM's take:
The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, issued the following statement today after hearing of the fatal shooting at the Centre culturel islamique de Québec located in the Ste-Foy neighbourhood of the city of Québec:

“It was with tremendous shock, sadness and anger that I heard of this evening’s tragic and fatal shooting at the Centre culturel islamique de Québec located in the Ste-Foy neighbourhood of the city of Québec.

“We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge.

“On behalf of all Canadians, Sophie and I offer our deepest condolences to the family and friends of all those who have died, and we wish a speedy recovery to those who have been injured.

“While authorities are still investigating and details continue to be confirmed, it is heart-wrenching to see such senseless violence. Diversity is our strength, and religious tolerance is a value that we, as Canadians, hold dear.

“Muslim-Canadians are an important part of our national fabric, and these senseless acts have no place in our communities, cities and country. Canadian law enforcement agencies will protect the rights of all Canadians, and will make every effort to apprehend the perpetrators of this act and all acts of intolerance.

“Tonight, we grieve with the people of Ste-Foy and all Canadians.”

My thoughts and sympathy to the families affected by this tragedy.

Encouraging to hear the statements of support and sympathy from our leaders at all levels.

My deepest condolences to the families of the victims of this terror attack.  I was listening to the radio on the way into work today and was quick to note the politicians are using the "terrorist" word, as they should.  Too bad the gutless bastards didn't use it in the other attacks in St. Jean/Ottawa/Strathroy.

A source was saying that one of the attackers may be from Morocco, as well they might be University students.  Will be interesting to see what comes to light.  Glad that they caught two of them.

aislinweb-013117ca.jpg

I also extent my condolences to the families, loved one and friends of the victims.

jollyjacktar said:
I was listening to the radio on the way into work today and was quick to note the politicians are using the "terrorist" word, as they should.  Too bad the gutless bastards didn't use it in the other attacks in St. Jean/Ottawa/Strathroy.

Actually, PM Harper did.  Ref this article

...our thoughts and prayers remain also with the family and friends of Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent, who was killed earlier this week by an ISIL-inspired terrorist

Fellow Canadians, in the days to come, we will learn more about the terrorist and any accomplices he may have had. But this week's events are a grim reminder that Canada is not immune to the types of terrorist attacks we have seen elsewhere around the world.

Maybe you were thinking about the 6 Canadians who were killed in the Burkino Faso terrorist attack, where Trudeau wouldn't use the word terrorist...

In a statement, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said, “On behalf of all Canadians, we offer our deepest condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of all those killed and a speedy recovery to all those injured. We are deeply saddened by these senseless acts of violence on innocent civilians.

“We have offered assistance to the Burkinabé authorities in their investigation of this terrible crime.”

Here's some of the latest re:  who's in custody from Reuters, with a geeky fact check below ...
Two suspects were under arrest after a shooting at a Quebec City mosque on Sunday evening killed six people and wounded eight, police said on Monday, and a source said one was French-Canadian and the other was of Moroccan heritage.

At least one of the suspects in the attack by two gunmen was a student at nearby Université Laval, the source said.

One suspect was identified as Alexandre Bissonnette, a French-Canadian, the other as Mohamed Khadir, who is of Moroccan heritage although his nationality was not immediately known, according to the source.

Police declined to give details of the suspects' identities or possible motives for the attack during evening prayers at the Centre Culturel Islamique de Québec.

“Legal procedures are now underway and we cannot make any comment on the identity of the suspects,” Royal Canadian Mounted Police national security superintendent Martin Plante told a news conference. He added the suspects, both men, were not previously known to police.

One suspect was arrested at the mosque, where police were called at about 8 p.m. local time, and the other turned himself about an hour later, Quebec City Police Inspector Denis Turcotte said.

Police said they were confident there were no other suspects involved in the attack ...
... and via FOX News:
One of two gunmen who shouted 'Allahu akbar!' as they opened fire at a mosque in Quebec City was of Moroccan origin, a witness and local media reported Monday, revealing the first details about the attackers in the massacre that killed six men.

The terror suspects were identified as Mohamed el Khadir and Alexandre Bissonnette, a court clerk told The Associated Press. The two men were arrested soon after the shooting at the Quebec Islamic Cultural Centre Sunday night and were expected to appear in court later Monday, police told reporters.

One of the gunmen actually turned himself in, calling 911 less than 20 minutes later and giving officers his location in d'Orleans so they could arrest him, police said. The attack unfolded in the men's section of the mosque.

(...)

The attackers were students at Université Laval, a school in Quebec, a source close to the investigation told Radio Canada, saying one was Moroccan. Police said the suspects were not on their radar ...

<GeekyFactCheck>
Eye In The Sky said:
Maybe you were thinking about the 6 Canadians who were killed in the Burkino Faso terrorist attack, where Trudeau wouldn't use the word terrorist...

In a statement, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said, “On behalf of all Canadians, we offer our deepest condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of all those killed and a speedy recovery to all those injured. We are deeply saddened by these senseless acts of violence on innocent civilians.
“We have offered assistance to the Burkinabé authorities in their investigation of this terrible crime.”
And to build on what the Ottawa Citizen wrote, here's what the Info-machine shared in full on that one (also attached if link doesn't work):
Prime Minister condemns terrorist attacks in Burkina Faso

Ottawa, Ontario
January 16, 2016

The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today issued the following statement condemning the terrorist attacks in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, that killed several people, including six Canadian citizens, and injured many more.

"Canada strongly condemns the deadly terrorist attacks that took place in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.

"On behalf of all Canadians, we offer our deepest condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of all those killed and a speedy recovery to all those injured. We are deeply saddened by these senseless acts of violence on innocent civilians.

"We have offered assistance to the Burkinabé authorities in their investigation of this terrible crime."
Has the online statement been re-written since then?  Not according to the version captured @ archive.org the day it came out.

Everybody edits & triages information when they share it - that's why I'm a believer in reading more than one version when you can to get a better chance of getting something approximating the whole story/truth/reality.
</GeekyFactCheck>

Attachments

• Prime Minister condemns terrorist attacks in Burkina Faso _ Prime Minister of Canada.pdf
    115.4 KB · Views: 203
gryphonv said:
True, Quebec has always been a strong hold with some supremacist Ideology, groups like La Meute, Soldiers of Odin and Atalante Québec are very prevalent in rural Québec . And so on. You do see many Jewish groups willing to do this sort of thing in Canada, so the prime suspect would be white supremacists.

why would Jewish groups be interested in killing Muslims?

Everybody edits & triages information when they share it - that's why I'm a believer in reading more than one version when you can to get a better chance of getting something approximating the whole story/truth/reality.

Thanks for correcting me on that one...I hadn't seen that or any other article with the T word in it from that one. 

ZeiGezunt said:
why would Jewish groups be interested in killing Muslims?

Because they don't like each other very much?

More from French-language media:  only one suspect, identified as Alexandre Bissonnette, with the other ("Morroccan origin" student?) identified as a "witness".
-- "Alexandre Bissonnette est le seul suspect de l'attentat" (QMI/Sun Media)
-- "Un seul suspect sur les deux individus arrêtés hier, affirme la SQ" (La Presse)

(source, with a bit more detail on FB profile of alleged accused)
Eye In The Sky said:
Thanks for correcting me on that one...I hadn't seen that or any other article with the T word in it from that one. 
I hadn't seen the T word in MSM out of the mouth of Prince Valiant, either, which is why I checked.  Not a problem - I suspect you're way busier than me most days, so who has time to hunt down everything?  Hence, the "geek" part of my check  ;D

Well, yeah. But outside of Israel, Jews tend to see themselves more in solidarity with Muslims than not [source: am Jewish and involved with the Jewish community].

Either way, this is tangential to the topic of this thread.

I offer my sincere condolences to the victims of the mosque shooting. May the villains who committed this heinous, disgusting act be brought to justice, and may the families of the victims find peace.

Back