• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All about MilPoints

Status
Not open for further replies.
ArmyVern said:
Actualy ...

That's an awesome idea!!

+10 points for clicking "check spelling" (of course that wouldn't cut down on your noted "aloud" as it is a proper word, but a whole lot of posts would look a whole lot better around here!!).

True. Homonyms are a problem.  Maybe 2 points for "previewing" your own post, which might encourage people to read what they are about to post and correct their own errors? (Here is the teacher in me coming out. ;))

Celticgirl said:
True. Homonyms are a problem.  Maybe 2 points for "previewing" your own post, which might encourage people to read what they are about to post and correct their own errors? (Here is the teacher in me coming out. ;))

In today's age of MSN speak, I'm not so sure that most of them would even recognize their own errors to effect a correction of them - unfortunately.

Deadpan said:
You mean "Day shore wood," right? ;D

But that is a very good idea Vern has.

-Dead

It was not my idea, celetic girl came up with it.  ;)

ArmyVern said:
Yes yes of course. She may have had the original idea, but you ran with it ;)

-00Dead ;)

It's a good idea yes. However, only as long as there aren't any spelling mistakes in the post afterwards.

I think I can probably count the number of times I've actually clicked on 'Spell check' on one hand since becoming a member here.
I try to keep my posts, and mostly all things written/typed as grammatically correct as possible, which is strange, because whenever I'm out back sitting around the fire or just talking with buds, my grammar is horrible. :blotto:

Midget

ArmyVern said:

Yes.  She was much faster than me to post, so my recommendation of -1 point per spelling mistake wasn't posted.  That would, of course, include MSN Speak; but not include recognized abbreviations.  Some people would make one mistake and -1 wouldn't be to significant; but others would loose in the range of -10 to -50.  

Should we also include:

Posting in a font colour that makes your message unreadable;
    Poor Grammar;
    Run-on sentences;
    Lack of proper quotes; and
    Silly post without a Search;

etc. in with the "deduction of points list"?

uncle-midget-boyd said:
It's a good idea yes. However, only as long as there aren't any spelling mistakes in the post afterwards.

I think I can probably count the number of times I've actually clicked on 'Spell check' on one hand since becoming a member here.
I try to keep my posts, and mostly all things written/typed as grammatically correct as possible, which is strange, because whenever I'm out back sitting around the fire or just talking with buds, my grammar is horrible. :blotto:

Midget

I rarely click on spellcheck either, but that's why you'll see a great number of my posts with an "edited" line underneath them after I've gone back to correct typos etc. I guess that means that I don't 'preview' my posts either.

Ergo that ability to actually "recognize" a mistake when it hits me upside the head. No one is perfect, but it'll certainly cut down on the bad bad bad spelling around here. Some posts are unrecognizeable/unreadable due to the volume of MSN speak and typos within them; spellcheck may not pick up the homonynms, but at least we'll recognize the word for what's it's intent was - it may not be proper grammar, but at least it becomes decipherable.

Oh, and edited to add:  I'm from the Miramichi ... you should hear me in person!!  >:D 

Also, sorry celticgirl --- I had a typo earlier and you thus morphed in celeticgirl; spellcheck wasn't good with either of them -- I hit "ignore".  ;D

George Wallace said:
Should we also include:

Posting in a font colour that makes your message unreadable;
    Poor Grammar;
    Run-on sentences;
    Lack of proper quotes; and
    Silly post without a Search;

etc. in with the "deduction of points list"?

Any undesirable posts that would have you as DS inform the user of their errors or of the expectation of users on this site should in my opinion result in a loss of MilPoints.

All points automatically lost and a months banishment for using "methinks".

Kat Stevens said:

Oh come now, that is a valid English word. ;)

ArmyVern said:
Also, sorry celticgirl --- I had a typo earlier and you thus morphed in celeticgirl; spellcheck wasn't good with either of them -- I hit "ignore".  ;D

-10 points for spelling my username incorrectly!  >:D

Celticgirl said:
-10 points for spelling my username incorrectly!  >:D

In the same vein, refering to dapaterson as dataperson.  ;D

Though MilPoints will be (automatically?) deducted when a new topic or post is removed by the DS, does anything happen when a DS either moves a topic to another (more appropriate) category or adds it to an already existing thread on the subject?  Sometimes the circumstances may not warrant some sort of penalty for a good faith error, but sometimes it should.  Perhaps there should be a mechanism for the DS to "dock points" for such violations  without it being reflected in an individual DS's account.

(I should have started another post with this further thought in order to get more points)

Is there any automatic deduction or other MilPoints action for pers who enter the warning system?  It would seem to be a logical consequence of their actions.  At the least, there should be a restriction on their ability to (negatively) assess another member.

I think members on the warning system should be allowed to rate others. Yes, the individual has broken the rules, but the warning system is there to allow them to participate and show that they continue to be valued members. There is not a need to heap punishment onto them. There will be a portion of those on the warning system who are out to retaliate, but the MP system costs 30points to rate someone down 10points. More often than not, the retaliation will be a bump down for someone and not worth a change to the system.

Kat Stevens said:

And, -100 for all threads that are, to quote the famous Infidel 6

TTWWOP.gif

So, here you all go just because I'm in a generous mood today ...

Assesinchaps.jpg

ArmyVern said:
And, -100 for all threads that are, to quote the famous Infidel 6

TTWWOP.gif

So, here you all go just because I'm in a generous mood today ...

Assesinchaps.jpg

Without the photo, that would have constituted an excessive use of epicons, but the loss of 100 points would have probably been compensated by the addition of 300 plus points from the peanut gallery.    ;D

George Wallace said:
Without the photo, that would have constituted an excessive use of epicons, but the loss of 100 points would have probably been compensated by the addition of 300 plus points from the peanut gallery.    ;D

Plus an added bonus +500 for me because someone looks so darn 'fat' in that picture, but wore it (& posted it) anyway!!  ;D

ArmyVern said:
Plus an added bonus +500 for me because someone looks so darn 'fat phat' in that picture, but wore it (& posted it) anyway!!  ;D

;D

ArmyVern said:
Plus an added bonus +500 for me because someone looks so darn 'fat' in that picture, but wore it (& posted it) anyway!!  ;D

+1000 for me because i put you up to it  ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back