• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All about MilPoints

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, that's because Chrome cached your old profile pic which is at the same location as your new one. So when it displayed that image URL it just picked the old image from your cache instead of fetching the new one. A forced reload (not sure of the key combo for that in Chrome) usually sorts that out...

Cheers
Mike

(Incidentally posted via Chrome. :))

Mike Bobbitt said:
No, that's because Chrome cached your old profile pic which is at the same location as your new one. So when it displayed that image URL it just picked the old image from your cache instead of fetching the new one. A forced reload (not sure of the key combo for that in Chrome) usually sorts that out...

Cheers
Mike

(Incidentally posted via Chrome. :))
Ah! Thanks Mike!

-Deadpan

Folks, to encourage the spirit of giving (or taking!) I've dropped the cost of assessing another user's post from 30 MilPoints down to 10 MilPoints. Hopefully that will encourage some additional participation!

Cheers
Mike

P.S. I'm also open to suggestions for additional categories (Helpful, Trolling, etc.)

Mike Bobbitt said:
Thinks for me to do:

• add MilPoints links to the dropdown menu.
  • Looking at the  statistics, the links for everyone's 'MP' is dead.
  • Access MilPoints history from the profile.
  • Add a global history page
  • Take you to a member's MilPoints page when you click on the MP logo next to their name on the statistics page.

And how many bonus points do we get for coming up with useful comments/questions/suggestions??  :D

Probably the same number I get for implementing the ideas. ;)

P.S. 1, 2 and 5 are done!

SO all I need to rack up my points is sit on army.ca all day and go post crazy!
I'll  +1 myself to the top.

Just curious.  If I get a whole bunch of milpoints BUT I get put on C&P can I take some of my milpoints and have my C&P reduced to a written or verbal warning?
Could I cash in a few thousand milpoints and have a mod get my warning thrown out?  ;)

Flawed Design said:
SO all I need to rack up my points is sit on army.ca all day and go post crazy!
I'll  +1 myself to the top.

Just curious.  If I get a whole bunch of milpoints BUT I get put on C&P can I take some of my milpoints and have my C&P reduced to a written or verbal warning?
Could I cash in a few thousand milpoints and have a mod get my warning thrown out?  ;)
Why do I think that's a good idea? ;D

-Deadpan

Heheh, nice theory... but if your posts are low value, they'll be removed and you'll be worse off than when you started. And there's no get out of jail free card, sorry. ;)

I'm trying to wrap my head around this.

Who decides if a post is low value?

Does that mean if me you and deadpan don't like what airmich wrote about something we can somehow blast his post into limbo?

If somene has a high milpoint count, like 8000 because they've spent a week straight on here or dropped tones of yes I agree, +1, lol, right, does that mean their input and 'value' is higher than me cruising with a whopping 50 or 60 points?

Can we rate someones post and leave comments?

Flawed Design said:
I'm trying to wrap my head around this.

Does that mean if me you and deadpan don't like what airmich wrote about something we can somehow blast his post into limbo?

If somene has a high milpoint count, like 8000 because they've spent a week straight on here or dropped tones of yes I agree, +1, lol, right, does that mean their input and 'value' is higher than me cruising with a whopping 50 or 60 points?

Can we rate someones post and leave comments?

Well i clicked the milpoints icon in your message post and it let me rate your message and either award or remove milpoints with a box for my comment. I added 10 milpoints to you for the sake of argument.

Cheers.

Flawed Design said:

The Mods.

For example: this morning I posted a brief comment saying "This is already being discussed here and suggesting that the Mods should merge the topics.

They did and they, very properly, deleted my post because it added no value to the discussion. That cost me 15 MilPoints  :'(  but am I complaining?

No, siree, for the record.

Weird I clicked it but couldn't rate anyone. Maybe I Need x amount of points before I can start dropping rateing bombs?

Flawed Design said:
So can a regular joe user like me give someone negitive points?

Yes, see here, but, as you surmised, you need a minimum 'score' to assess someone else and each assessment will cost you points to make.

Since Mike won't let me use a get out of Jail free card I'm going to start a Mods'R'Bullies service. 

Noobs give me +10 milpoints cookies and I in turn use my massive high milpoint rating to give their Mod nemesis's bad cookies  >:D

You can assess right out of the gate but the more points you have, the more you can award/dock someone else for. And to answer this question:

Flawed Design said:

Posts like that are likely to be deleted, so again, the user will be docked more for "useless posts" than they would have accumulated, so they'd likely be in the red.

P.S. Edward I hit your post above and gave you the 15 points back. ;)

Flawed Design said:
Since Mike won't let me use a get out of Jail free card I'm going to start a Mods'R'Bullies service. 

Noobs give me +10 milpoints cookies and I in turn use my massive high milpoint rating to give their Mod nemesis's bad cookies  >:D

Ah, the crusader for the weak. Intentional abuse is the single largest "fly in the ointment" to any organized peer rating system. I'm anxious to see how it plays out in this transparent system where the crusaders can't fire anonymous arrows from the shadows.  >:D

Mike Bobbitt said:
P.S. Edward I hit your post above and gave you the 15 points back. ;)

No need, Mike, unless you're going to change the system - which may be very difficult because a penalty for deletions should apply  - or instruct Mods to do the same for everyone in the same circumstances.

Flawed Design said:

Hey now!  What did I ever do to you guys??  I think I should be awarded extra points due to slander!  ;D (P.S. I'm a 'she')

This crusader don't do shadows Sire! You should know that  ;)

Rating systems are only effective when the user cares about his rating.
Remember when we had that +1/-1 system up a while ago?  Some people (mods and senior members included) started getting some serious negitive point and proclaimed 'Well I don't even care what anyone says, I don't care for my rating'.

It looks like a lot of work has gone into this and I sincerely hope it's a big success. The non-frosted side of me however is cynical.  A few mods have over time been accuse of being heavy handed, making things personal, out of line etc..  I forsee a rating system where mods (help to/contribute to) control someones public "image" as an invitation for more headaches to the mods and accusations of foul play and empire building.

I really hope the system works out but right away I can see some possible issues with it.  Guess time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back