• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All About PAT (merged)

im on the PC now because I work at a call center, and to be honest I'm scaling back my position to a part time hopefully starting Monday. Sitting on my rear for here for 10hours a day on the phone + breaks, travelling for another 2, and so forth doesnt leave me with a lot of time at the moment (plus taking care of my 3 1/2 year old before I come to work the night shift.

Im not in terrible shape, and getting some cardio is the only real work I need at the moment. I have been haulin ass on the weights alot (well, basement flooded a week ago, still mopping it out  :crybaby:  ) so I'm positive when I can get out to do some jogging I'll be in decent enough shape to pass the tests.

Although I may seem like I'm lol'ing about the RFT, I really do NOT want to be on it in any way shape nor form...it increases my BMQ time and time away  from my wife, 3 1/2 year old (well, nearing 4) son, and my baby that is due the end of May (hooray!!). I'm just trying to put a bright spin on it, because being a realistic type of guy something may go wrong and I may get on it (Doom and Gloom outlook sometimes).

Going to PAT when I stress fractured my foot by far was the worst experience at St-Jean. Granted this was when PAT/PAR was ridiculously big. Although I was only there a week. Thanks to the good doctor and the course 1 week behind my last. :D

All I can say for those who end up on PAT is keep your chin up. It sucks leaving your mates on your last platoon, but as you will find out quickly; you make many new friends on your next course. Theres a lot of downers on PAT and PAR alike. Ignore them, work on yourself, stay motivated. It's easy to get down on yourself hanging around these types, so stay focused and don't let it happen. I'm not saying there's not good people in PAT...there's just a lot of downers around those parts.

RTaylor said:
im on the PC now because I work at a call center, and to be honest I'm scaling back my position to a part time hopefully starting Monday. Sitting on my rear for here for 10hours a day on the phone + breaks, travelling for another 2, and so forth doesnt leave me with a lot of time at the moment (plus taking care of my 3 1/2 year old before I come to work the night shift.

This post is not in any way intended to slag you.......

We're all busy. I understand how it can be hard to find the time for exercise. I sit in an aircraft seat for 10 hours, preceeded by sitting in briefings for 2  and a half hours before and followed by a bit more after the flight. When i get home i still have all the normal home jobs to do. So trust me when i say that i understand where you are comming from. That being said, be smart and find the time. Like you said, RFT means you are there longer than you have to and it adds alot of stress to your life that you have in your power to avoid.

Good luck with the upcoming family addition

Hell yeah, being on a RFT means you may also get put on PAT which can extend the stay without the family. Definitely something to avoid.

My brother in law is awaiting his Artillery course now, he says that counting chains and putting them on vehicles gets pretty repetivite

PAT in St. Jean was the worst experience ever. You are treated like the lowest life form just for being there regardless of why you are there nor how you behave while there. You bear the scarlet letter "A" so that all may be witness to your disgrace. ("F" for those Francophones out there.) I left when the trailers were just being started so I didn't have to go through that but it really was miserable.

Keep focused on the goal and realize that no matter what, it's really just a short period relative to your career. With that being said, I made friends while there and I enjoyed my second platoon more than my original.

Now I was totally unaware how much time I would be in "limbo" from the start of BMQ. I've been living in the shacks for over 16 months now and it could be another 12 or more before I get to my actual posting.(mostly due to my particular trade -291)  I thought that I would go from BMQ to my QL3 course and get a place to stay during that course. Not so! That's been the most unexpected part of all of this. Waiting on PRETC was almost as bad as PAT. Waiting for courses seems interminable. Some folks get to PRETC only to find that there is a 1 year wait list for the next course for their trade.

Try to keep busy and go on taskings. Take courses when offered. 

One last thing, I know more than a few folks who fudged a little to get off the unfit list and get back on platoon. One guy in particular got on course only to go back to PAT after the first run since he just wasn't physically ready yet. If he had waited a bit longer he may not have re-injured himself. Be realistic with regards to your healing. Several others have had the same issues happen several times. Going back too soon could be the end of your training. It's better to have to release for 6 months and come back fully healed and with time to build back your fitness than to permanently damage yourself and no longer be employable in the military.

keep your chin up. It's worth it.

benny88 said:
    I wouldn't be so cavalier about it. If you think theres any chance you might fail, get off the computer and go run. You don't wanna be on RFT if you can help it.

Why? Are the RFT staff like the DB staff?  ;D

Atleast waiting for MOC to kick in is better than sitting outside waiting to get your acceptance for BMQ like me at the present...anyone want to trade sitting outside looking in with inside looking around?

;D

Snafu-Bar said:
Atleast waiting for MOC to kick in is better than sitting outside waiting to get your acceptance for BMQ like me at the present...anyone want to trade sitting outside looking in with inside looking around?

;D

There's nothing quite like being bored to death and completely unemployed, on the opposite side of the country from all your family and friends and loved ones. Enjoy civvie street while you're still on it, the Army is a great go most of the time, but you're going to spend a lot of nights cuddled up under a fire blanket dreaming of home in the near future!

Well i'm already unemployed, and living in the living room of my sister. So i'm ready to upgrade to anything the CF have to offer me at this point in time.

:)

Does sitting in PAT count on your time served?

Well my intentions aren't for getting part way into the MOC without getting stationed if that's what you mean... I done well enough on CFAT to qualify for all 3 choices that we're presented to me in the rank of Artillery,Sig Op,Ammo Tech. Although the RO basically said to go with the flow and due to attrition rates i could end up with something not even listed.

Eiher way i'm excited and hopefully get my thumbs up soon.

Maybe I misread your post.  Did you mean PAT Platoon at CFLRS (Basic Training in St-Jean) or PAT while awaiting your MOC course?

Eye In The Sky said:
Maybe I misread your post.  Did you mean PAT Platoon at CFLRS (Basic Training in St-Jean) or PAT while awaiting your MOC course?

I was referring to being stuck in PAT awaiting MOC. It sounded like some folks are sitting around a while waiting for a spot in thier field of choice and was curious if that time is considered on your service record? I'm still doing tons of reading on this site and trying wade through the usefull info while i'm waiting for my phone call.

Snafu-Bar said:
I was referring to being stuck in PAT awaiting MOC. It sounded like some folks are sitting around a while waiting for a spot in thier field of choice and was curious if that time is considered on your service record? I'm still doing tons of reading on this site and trying wade through the usefull info while i'm waiting for my phone call.

It counts. It's paid, pensionable time.

Back