• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Memo Templates: (AVOTP, ED&T, File Number, OJT, OT, Release, Retention)

Good2Golf said:
Out of all of this, the principal issue I have with the OP's situation is that unit staff were withholding a member's memo from getting to the CO.
...based solely upon the OP's version of events.  ;)

This thread and all the comments made make me think.  As leaders, have we stopped leading and assuming the risks associated with our positions/duties and started to become more "policy" oriented when making a decision such as this?

I've been subject to such scenario's in my younger days and we are not talking about Base/Wing/Unit duties either.  But cases out of the ordinary and of being told I had to work on a Saturday or Sunday for some reason or another.  When that information was given to me, it was usually followed with a comment that I would be given time off as a result.  I never had to "ask", it was offered!

If I need one of my people to work on a weekend, for whatever reason and it's a full day, they are going to get a day off without asking because I would have told them upfront.  If my CoC has an issue with that, then I am glad to wear it!  Be it working with the Army, Air Force or Navy, I've been with all three.

I think that it any unit - be it Army, Navy or Air Force - leaders at the WO and Adjt level are suitably skilled, knowledgeable, experienced and attuned to the CO's leadership expectations to be able to assess what merits a day off or not. That you would feel the need to write a memo to the CO asking for a day of short makes you look like a bit of a system-gamer in my view (regardless of what is written in the CF leave manual). However, if it is commonplace and/or there is recurring precedence within the unit to be provided a day off if you unexpectedly work what is normally a non-scheduled workday for you, then I think you might be justified in getting your memo before the CO.

Probably doesn't answer your specific question, but perhaps something to ponder for the future.

If units/COs provide direction on Short leave/EDOs/CTO and it was promulgated down the CofC, put into ROs, whatever there wouldn't be confusion and decision-making wouldn't be so hit-and-miss.  What one WO or Capt might see as a reasonable request might appear to be "system-gaming" to another.  Nothing like 'multiple standards' within a sub-unit to piss of the oar-pullers;  1 guy works a Sunday, gets Monday off...guy from a different section does the same task, doesn't get it off and gets chewed-out for asking after finding out others are.  Which section would you want to be in?

I've noticed a trend the past few years, where there seems to be a willingness to ignore regs/policy/guidance whether it be this topic, unit PT policy, whatever. 

Maybe "back in the day" it was *all over the board* when it came to short/CTO/NWDs, BUT maybe that is one of the reasons the CF Leave Policy Manual was devised.  Just a thought; something queued the CAF to publish the manual.

It IS a CF policy document, and applies to all member of the CAF.  Regardless of if you agree with it personally, professionally you are required to adhere to it, and consider the should/shalls it contains.  I've already posted the part on short leave that one of its purposes is to compensate for working on what would "normally be a day of rest".  In line with DAAs post, maybe it is good to consider this as a morale/welfare of the troops/QOL issue.  It doesn't matter what happened in 1956, RV '81 or what have you.  We used to have muskets and horses.  Times have changed. 

I am not speaking specifically about the OPs case, but in general.  My unit has a very fair 'working outside normal hours' policy; it is good for morale and morale is very important, especially when budgets are tight and FTX, sailing, and flying is being shrunk.  Morale/welfare is not the only thing to consider, but it is something to consider nonetheless.

Anyone who doesn't take into account their subordinates welfare and GAFF is missing something in their leadership toolbelt.

Eye In The Sky said:
If units/COs provide direction on Short leave/EDOs/CTO and it was promulgated down the CofC, put into ROs, whatever there wouldn't be confusion and decision-making wouldn't be so hit-and-miss.  What one WO or Capt might see as a reasonable request might appear to be "system-gaming" to another.  Nothing like 'multiple standards' within a sub-unit to piss of the oar-pullers;  1 guy works a Sunday, gets Monday off...guy from a different section does the same task, doesn't get it off and gets chewed-out for asking after finding out others are.  Which section would you want to be in?

I've noticed a trend the past few years, where there seems to be a willingness to ignore regs/policy/guidance whether it be this topic, unit PT policy, whatever. 

Maybe "back in the day" it was *all over the board* when it came to short/CTO/NWDs, BUT maybe that is one of the reasons the CF Leave Policy Manual was devised.  Just a thought; something queued the CAF to publish the manual.

It IS a CF policy document, and applies to all member of the CAF.  Regardless of if you agree with it personally, professionally you are required to adhere to it, and consider the should/shalls it contains.  I've already posted the part on short leave that one of its purposes is to compensate for working on what would "normally be a day of rest".  In line with DAAs post, maybe it is good to consider this as a morale/welfare of the troops/QOL issue.  It doesn't matter what happened in 1956, RV '81 or what have you.  We used to have muskets and horses.  Times have changed. 

I am not speaking specifically about the OPs case, but in general.  My unit has a very fair 'working outside normal hours' policy; it is good for morale and morale is very important, especially when budgets are tight and FTX, sailing, and flying is being shrunk.  Morale/welfare is not the only thing to consider, but it is something to consider nonetheless.

Anyone who doesn't take into account their subordinates welfare and GAFF is missing something in their leadership toolbelt.

First, there are far too many unknowns about the OP, the OP's unit, the OP's unit policies or lack thereof, the OP's motivations for the request, the WO and Adjt's reasons for not supporting it, the specifics of the tasking, and any and all other factors that one would normally consider in determining whether a day of short leave in this case is merited.

Second, on the issue of short leave, the CF leave policy manual states that the CO MAY (not must) grant short leave in order to, amongst other things, "compensate, in part, for long hours worked during extended periods of operations/training or working on normal days of rest." Nothing here states or implies that it must be a one-for-one, nor is time off mandated; it is completely at the discretion of the CO.

Third, I agree and it's been my experience that a unit policy on such matters works well to help avoid situations like the OPs. However, how do we know that OP's unit doesn't already have a policy on short leave/CTO?

Fourth, a written memo to the CO asking for a day off? Really? Is that what it's come to nowadays?

Finally, see my first point above.

Nor should a case like this be dealt with "short".  It should be given as a "weekend" under the "shift worker" policy.

In this case, the policy is clear cut.

You should never ask for short, it should be given to you as your CoC (ultimately your CO) sees fit, up to 2 a month.

WRT your 4th point, maybe the written memo is an indication there is "not" a unit policy WRT to the issue?  Or, that is hasn't been passed down to the oar-puller level.  *Shrugs* like you said, more unknowns than knowns.  I did mention I wasn`t directing my post to the OPs situation specifically, but in general based on the wide range of views, experiences, etc of those who have posted.

I agree with your other points;  but please note I never said short is a "shall".  8)

I will stand by what I said about lip service being payed WRT some of the newer published policies, the Leave Manual included. 

Jim Seggie said:
Somehow or another this got derailed.

Play nice y'all.......

IMO the Adjt should have forwarded this memo to the CO - as it was addressed to the CO.....therefore it s the COs decision.

This is a bit of a myth.  Members do not get to pick and choose who decides a particular administrative matter.  This becomes playing mom against Dad.  My OC denied my leave so I'll write my memo to the CO instead.  That'll get traction.

Lets have CO's get the leave memo's and the Section 2IC get the 30 day release or PATA memo.  What could go wrong?  There are OC's who are paid to make decisions in accordance with the CO's guidance.

Units will have a policy regarding memos, leave, etc...  If your memo was quashed, quite possibly you were not following your standing procedures.  If you really want to fall on your sword over it, that is what the grievance system is for. 

trustnoone73 said:
This is a bit of a myth.  Members do not get to pick and choose who decides a particular administrative matter.  This becomes playing mom against Dad.  My OC denied my leave so I'll write my memo to the CO instead.  That'll get traction.

Lets have CO's get the leave memo's and the Section 2IC get the 30 day release or PATA memo.  What could go wrong?  There are OC's who are paid to make decisions in accordance with the CO's guidance.

Units will have a policy regarding memos, leave, etc...  If your memo was quashed, quite possibly you were not following your standing procedures.  If you really want to fall on your sword over it, that is what the grievance system is for.

Typically, a tuned in CoC will take note of extra time that soldiers are working and organize some sort of compensatory leave, perhaps it's short, perhaps it's a 12pm dismisal on a long weekend.

Plenty of us work an extra day here and there. Anyone who's ever had to PERs can attest to the additional post 9 - 5 work. Anyone that is involved in a busy unit will routinely punch a extra hours in the week to keep up. It's expected for leaders.

Far as soldiers go, I still think it's the leadership's responsibility to monitor and ensure that personnel are getting adequate downtime. Even motivate soldiers who want to work the extra on projects need to be reminded the importance of work/life balance. There's plenty of time for working 16 hour days when on Ex or on deployment. When the situation presents, let them have time with their family.

Finally, on memos, all memos addressed to the CO should go to the CO. The CoC have every right to minute a memo as they see fit, however the CO needs to recieve all correspondence addressed to him. Nothing wrong with taking the soldier aside and tell them the CoC is not supporting the memo to the CO, and explaining why and asking if they still want to push it to the CO. If the soldier agrees to withdraw the memo, so be it, if they want it to go all the way up to the old man, then so be it as well.

There's an important point that some people have danced very close to, but not really hit squarely.

9.1.03 Approval Authority
The CO may grant short leave.

That pretty much says it all right there.  Unless the authority is delegated, only the CO gets to make the call on short leave.  Anyone else in the chain should be minuting the request with "recommended" or "not recommended", as they lack the authority to make the decision.

The Adjt may have the responsibility to keep the mundane, day-to-day matters from taking up the CO's time, but if the CO was clearly defined in policy as the Approving Authority, then it's supposed to be on the CO's desk for a decision.

COs may delegate the signing of a leave pass with Short once they've authorized leave, particularly in the case of short granted to the entire unit, however, they dontt delegate the decision to grant, or not.

Occam said:
There's an important point that some people have danced very close to, but not really hit squarely.

9.1.03 Approval Authority
The CO may grant short leave.

That pretty much says it all right there.  Unless the authority is delegated, only the CO gets to make the call on short leave.  Anyone else in the chain should be minuting the request with "recommended" or "not recommended", as they lack the authority to make the decision.

The Adjt may have the responsibility to keep the mundane, day-to-day matters from taking up the CO's time, but if the CO was clearly defined in policy as the Approving Authority, then it's supposed to be on the CO's desk for a decision.

Ok, let's look at another example using Compassionate Leave. Let's say I have a family emergency and I request 30 days of compassionate leave. Per the CF Leave Policy, the approving authorities for compassionate leave are as follows:

7.1.04 Approving Authority
The CO may approve up to 14 calendar days of compassionate leave. The OCC may approve up to 30 calendar days, inclusive of any compassionate leave already approved by the CO.

So, the CO can give me up to 14 days, but only an Officer Commanding a Command (OCC) can approve anything more than that, up to 30 days. I meet with the CO and we discuss the nature of my family emergency. Turns out my grandma passed away. I don't have any legal responsibilities for her affairs and there are plenty of close family living in the same town as my grandma who can look after things. But I had a very strong connection with my Grandma growing up and I really feel that 30 days would help me get over her passing.

You're my CO. My memo addressed to the Commander 1 Canadian Air Division requesting 30 days of compassionate leave is on your desk. Are you sending it to 1 CAD based on what you know to be the circumstances precipitating this request?

::)

h5F0A667C

Transporter said:
Ok, let's look at another example using Compassionate Leave. Let's say I have a family emergency and I request 30 days of compassionate leave. Per the CF Leave Policy, the approving authorities for compassionate leave are as follows:

7.1.04 Approving Authority
The CO may approve up to 14 calendar days of compassionate leave. The OCC may approve up to 30 calendar days, inclusive of any compassionate leave already approved by the CO.

So, the CO can give me up to 14 days, but only an Officer Commanding a Command (OCC) can approve anything more than that, up to 30 days. I meet with the CO and we discuss the nature of my family emergency. Turns out my grandma passed away. I don't have any legal responsibilities for her affairs and there are plenty of close family living in the same town as my grandma who can look after things. But I had a very strong connection with my Grandma growing up and I really feel that 30 days would help me get over her passing.

You're my CO. My memo addressed to the Commander 1 Canadian Air Division requesting 30 days of compassionate leave is on your desk. Are you sending it to 1 CAD based on what you know to be the circumstances precipitating this request?

CO:  "Adjutant, I've approved 14 days compassionate leave for Pte Bloggins.  Send the memo to Comd 1 CAD, and send an e-mail heads up that Bloggins is requesting 30 days leave IAW policy, and I support it.  Tell Bloggins we'll contact him at the phone number listed on his leave pass to advise of the outcome of the request".

Is there some aspect of this that I'm missing that would make it far more complex than it really needs to be?  (Giving a nod to my screen name - the simplest solution is usually the preferred one)

Occam said:
CO:  "Adjutant, I've approved 14 days compassionate leave for Pte Bloggins.  Send the memo to Comd 1 CAD, and send an e-mail heads up that Bloggins is requesting 30 days leave IAW policy, and I support it.  Tell Bloggins we'll contact him at the phone number listed on his leave pass to advise of the outcome of the request".

Is there some aspect of this that I'm missing that would make it far more complex than it really needs to be?  (Giving a nod to my screen name - the simplest solution is usually the preferred one)

The staffing process for such requests, when merited, is not what we're talking about here. But you're honestly going to recommend to Comd 1 CAD that he approve 30 days of compassionate leave for a guy whose grandma passed away, simply because the guy wrote a memo addressed to Comd 1 CAD and you feel obligated to send it (and support it no less) based on the CF Leave Policy manual?

I give up... last post for me on this.

Out.

RADOPSIGOPACISSOP said:
Finally, on memos, all memos addressed to the CO should go to the CO. The CoC have every right to minute a memo as they see fit, however the CO needs to recieve all correspondence addressed to him. Nothing wrong with taking the soldier aside and tell them the CoC is not supporting the memo to the CO, and explaining why and asking if they still want to push it to the CO. If the soldier agrees to withdraw the memo, so be it, if they want it to go all the way up to the old man, then so be it as well.

Personally, on relatively low level matters such as a short day I would have kicked the memo back and had the member address it to the Pl Comd as the first stop in the CoC or the OC if short has not otherwise been authorized.  That is if my unit would need a memo which likely it wouldn't because I would have kicked the leave pass back as well and had the member change it to week-end assuming the member was going out of area.  Otherwise he would likely be at work as expected.

Who to address memos to is an important question in staff work.  Sending them to the wrong level will simply delay a decision possibly to the point of irrelevance.  CO's are never too busy to attend to their soldiers but inundating them with matters that are well in hand at the sub-unit level is not the way ahead and not why there if a CoC.  Turning the chain of command into nothing more minute annotators does not encourage a responsive chain of command or decision making at the lowest levels which is what we endeavor to do both administratively and operationally. 

Should the OP's memo have gone to the CO? Not in my opinion or practice. However, the member may have benefited from a better explanation or guidance from his WO.  I have personally saved countless hours of inane minutes and staffing of memos just by talking face to face with my 1 up.  Open door policies are just that.

Transporter said:
The staffing process for such requests, when merited, is not what we're talking about here. But you're honestly going to recommend to Comd 1 CAD that he approve 30 days of compassionate leave for a guy whose grandma passed away, simply because the guy wrote a memo addressed to Comd 1 CAD and you feel obligated to send it (and support it no less) based on the CF Leave Policy manual?

I give up... last post for me on this.

Out.

It's not the CO's call.  Otherwise, CMP (on whose authority the Leave Manual is issued) would have simply granted COs the authority to grant 30 days of Compassionate Leave, and not bother the OCC with such trival matters.

Obviously, the bars for certain types of leave were set at a certain level for a reason.

To go ever so slightly off-topic for a minute; it's this type of mindset that allowed DCBA to deny a member's application for HEA, when DCBA had no authority to deny or grant such a request since TBS was the approving authority.  See the Federal Court decision, para 9 onwards if you want to read more on that.

Occam said:
Obviously, the bars for certain types of leave were set at a certain level for a reason.

Yes, but I doubt if that reason is because a LCol does not possess the faculties to make decisions with respect to leave or any other unit matter.  It's accountability.  The decision was in all probability rendered below the OCC level. 

To go ever so slightly off-topic for a minute; it's this type of mindset that allowed DCBA to deny a member's application for HEA, when DCBA had no authority to deny or grant such a request since TBS was the approving authority.

Which is why there was a grievance and a protracted fight.  DCBA applied the policy as is their mandate IAW the TB which still took 7 months to issue a decision.  It's hard to compare this to a short day, but we've probably all had obtuse CO's.  Fighting for the troops is still a good days work.

Back