• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Memo Templates: (AVOTP, ED&T, File Number, OJT, OT, Release, Retention)

Don't feel bad, that your unit insists on doing due diligence in maintaining its administration, documentation and record keeping; where other units are to often letting administrative record keeping fall by the wayside.   

Go to your unit Orderly Room.  Tell the clerk you wish to release.  The clerk will know the rules for your particular unit and will direct you accordingly.  A memo may or may not be required but there will be several forms that will need to be completed and signed by you and others before the CO signs off on it.

Hey Guys

I am trying to draft up a retention memo for the CoC. Does anyone have or know of anyone that has submitted one before?

Thanks

trencher said:
Hey Guys

I am trying to draft up a retention memo for the CoC. Does anyone have or know of anyone that has submitted one before?

Thanks

As in retention associated with an AR MEL decision?

trencher said:
DAA

Yes as in a 3b med release.

There is NO requirement for you to submit any such memo.  Retention is part of the "Disclosure Package" and it is incumbent upon your CO to put forth the appropriate recommendation based on your assigned MEL's.  When you are interviewed and provided with a copy of the Disclosure Package, you are required to sign an "Acknowledgement of Receipt" form.  On that form there will be 3 options available:

a.  I do wish to submit written representation to be considered prior to the approving authorities final decision; 

b.  I do not wish to submit written representation to be considered prior to the approving authorities final decision;  or

c.  I do not wish to submit written representation to be considered prior to the approving authorities final decision and I do not wish to be considered for any period of retention.

If you select A or B above, then the CO must make a recommendation regarding a possible period of retention.  There is NO requirement for you to ask for this, it is an automatic function of the process. 

DAA said:
There is NO requirement for you to submit any such memo.  Retention is part of the "Disclosure Package" and it is incumbent upon your CO to put forth the appropriate recommendation based on your assigned MEL's.  When you are interviewed and provided with a copy of the Disclosure Package, you are required to sign an "Acknowledgement of Receipt" form.  On that form there will be 3 options available:

a.  I do wish to submit written representation to be consider prior to the approving authorities final decision; 

b.  I do not wish to submit written representation to be consider prior to the approving authorities final decision;  or

c.  I do not wish to submit written representation to be consider prior to the approving authorities final decision and I do not wish to be considered for any period of retention.

If you select A or B above, then the CO must make a recommendation regarding a possible period of retention.  There is NO requirement for you to ask for this, it is an automatic function of the process. 

In his representation he does need to request a period of retention. The CO isn't going to recommend a period of retention if there is no mention of it in the representation from the member. And depending on how the unit operates, the CO might just have a cover letter attached that says "Please find attached member's representations . . . .. "

captloadie said:
In his representation he does need to request a period of retention. The CO isn't going to recommend a period of retention if there is no mention of it in the representation from the member. And depending on how the unit operates, the CO might just have a cover letter attached that says "Please find attached member's representations . . . .. "

The purpose of the representation is to dispute any of the medical information which will be used in rendering a decision.  It's right in Annex A, para 4 of the disclosure package and says "All retention subject to MEL's on a temporary, transitional basis are subject to the following conditions:

a.  must be (MOSID Qualified) advantageously employed fulltime in an established posn within the trade;
b.  not eligible for promotion.  Postings and or career courses will reqr DMCA approval;
c.  eligible for conversion of TOS;
d.  CoC or member can request to cease the retention at any time;  and
e.  AR MEL decision can be revised at any time if the situation changes."

So whether you ask or not, the CO is still responsible for making a recommendation based on the "guidelines" contained in the disclosure package.  If a recommendation is not made, DMCA will send it back and ask for one, unless you select Option 3 and do not wish to be considered!

PS - I experienced the entire process first hand and from both sides of the fence.  Just waiting for my 3.b. release date to arrive.  I never had to submit any memo, the CO merely asked if I wished to be considered and I said "sure" but I didn't need to provide any representation and chose not to.  At the end of the day, the unit made no recommendation and DMCA came back looking for one.    :nod:

In the members  findings section 5 of the AR disclosure .

Therefore as a POR may not be possible, a release under provisions of QR&O article 15.01 item 3b could be considered by DMCA as a possible course of action in this AR.

So this member would be advised to submit a memo up the CoC to be considered for retention so the CO could contact DMCA with this request?

trencher said:
In the members  findings section 5 of the AR disclosure .

Therefore as a POR may not be possible, a release under provisions of QR&O article 15.01 item 3b could be considered by DMCA as a possible course of action in this AR.

So this member would be advised to submit a memo up the CoC to be considered for retention so the CO could contact DMCA with this request?

Para 3.g. of the Disclosure Package has a table which outlines the procedures to be followed.  You will see that Table with two columns and the headings "If the member........"  "Then the CO will........."

Para 5. that you are reading is a blanket statement included within all AR MEL Synopsis and advising the individual of the "possible" outcome once a decision has been rendered.  Every file will be considered for a POR unless the member elects Option 3 and does not want to be considered.  Hence, the reason why the CO must provide some sort of recommendation with respect to retention.

If you look at para 4. of the Disclosure Package, you will see that "if the CO adds further comments or recommendations with regards to the disclosure package (ie; a comment concerning a period of possible retention or not, etc), a copy MUST be given to the member.  Note that the member has an additional 10 calendar days to be given the opportunity to respond to any additional comments made by the CO BEFORE the file is sent to DMCA.

DAA said:
PS - I experienced the entire process first hand and from both sides of the fence.  Just waiting for my 3.b. release date to arrive.  I never had to submit any memo, the CO merely asked if I wished to be considered and I said "sure" but I didn't need to provide any representation and chose not to.  At the end of the day, the unit made no recommendation and DMCA came back looking for one.    :nod:

It sounds like your unit is either small enough that you get daily contact with CO, or you fill in a position that the CO interacts with you on a regular basis. In my unit, the CO wouldn't know if a member wants to be accommodated retained unless he is notified of such, which in our unit, plus many others, is in the form of a memo. Also, the representation is not strictly to offer remarks regarding the medical issue. It is to provide input to anything regarding the process (proposed release date, perception of bias in the process, etc. etc.).

I find it odd that the CO had to make a specific reference in his letter to DMCA, as the 2088 should/could have included his recommendation for retention.

captloadie said:
It sounds like your unit is either small enough that you get daily contact with CO, or you fill in a position that the CO interacts with you on a regular basis. In my unit, the CO wouldn't know if a member wants to be accommodated retained unless he is notified of such, which in our unit, plus many others, is in the form of a memo. Also, the representation is not strictly to offer remarks regarding the medical issue. It is to provide input to anything regarding the process (proposed release date, perception of bias in the process, etc. etc.).

I find it odd that the CO had to make a specific reference in his letter to DMCA, as the 2088 should/could have included his recommendation for retention.

I hear ya on the thing about memo's.  They try and make the process as speedy, seamless and as stress free as possible but someone always wants a memo for one thing or another.

Thanks guys we submitted a memo up the CoC but im afraid they are not to familar with the retention process.

The one remark up the CoC by the Wo was he was only going to offer a few months.

I believe this is up to the Co and not the Chain submiting there recomendations.?

trencher said:
Thanks guys we submitted a memo up the CoC but im afraid they are not to familar with the retention process.

The one remark up the CoC by the Wo was he was only going to offer a few months.

I believe this is up to the Co ?

It very much is.

And now the memo minute rears its head;under what qualification is "the WO" sticking his opinion of "only for a few months" in?

Seems like all people need to do is not reinvent the wheel or try to make it roll different.

Actually, the decision is up to D Mil C, who will make a decision based on input from the CoC (CO's recommendation), and the career manager, and the medical recommendation.
The CO's recommendation will be highly swayed by your immediate CoC. Whatever he recommends, you are supposed be given an opportunity to make representation if you choose.

In my unit, we have been able to retain most individuals who wanted it, even when trades are green. This is mainly due to our current location, and our ability to work with the Career Managers.

So the WO denied the memo up the chain of command and will not forward it up the CoC is the last i heard.

They said that the member does not pose any special ability and can be replaced by any other monkey and refused to submit the memo up the CoC

I know for a fact that as the memo goes up the CoC every member that add his minuets can support it or not support it but the memo must go up the CoC so the CO can make the final decision .

Correct me if i am wrong thanks.

Back