• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things beardy-2005 to 2018 (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
During basic they may be a little stricter (depends on your staff and whoever is hanging around the school, sr NCM/officer wise).

Once you are out of basic, rules are more relaxed. I have buddies with full beards, handlebar mustaches, and old school long hair on their heads (shaved neatly around the sides and back).

Tech. you should be able to rock your mustache during basic. Bring wax though; it has to be properly groomed.

Shepard said:
Also, (I know this is a silly question, but my curiosity got the better of me) are eyebrows allowed to be waxed, in a sort of fancysmashy handlebar style?

As far as avoiding the grey man label on day one, handlebar eyebrows would be right up there with black eyes, neck tattoos, nail polish as a male and having the course WO collect you from cells.

I don't know about the eyebrow style in discussion. But it's not such a strange question, I know much more recently about 3-5 yrs back it was popular to shave lines at the eyebrow corners. I'd say something like that would be considered "faddish", wouldn't it?

Luke93 said:
I don't know about the eyebrow style in discussion. But it's not such a strange question, I know much more recently about 3-5 yrs back it was popular to shave lines at the eyebrow corners. I'd say something like that would be considered "faddish", wouldn't it?

Buddy, go to silent and read vice posting.

Unless you know CFP 265 and your Coxswain, any answer your provide is misleading.

During your bmq, you will be expected to be clean shaven EVERY morning. This will be very important especially during inspections at 7am. Your instructors will look for this.

Shepard said:
I don't want to sound like as if I am questioning your knowledge, because you know a heck of a lot more than I do, however, aren't The Dress Regulations found in the QR&Os?

"QR&Os: Volume I - Chapter 17 - Table of Contents
Dress And Appearance"

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qro-orf/vol-01/tc-tm-017-eng.asp

Just want to try to learn a little more, thank you!
Basically the QR&O states you must maintain a professional military appearance and the dress instructions explain what constitutes that appearance. 

I thought I would just tag along my facial hair question to this existing thread:

How strict are they at BMQ/BMOQ for older men who are prone to get the annoying 5'oclock shadow (especially when humidity is high). Are you required to shave more than once in a day in this case or is facial hair really only checked during mornings?

On a related note, what method do most people at BMQ shave with? Disposable carts and canned cream/gel? Electric? Double edged razor and shaving soap/cream with brush? Straight razor and shaving soap/cream with brush? Are any of these methods not allowed / not recommended?

I am a DE, cream and brush shaver myself (electric for fast emergency dry shaves).

Just make sure you shave every morning in that case.  Most people shaved with a razor like a Gillette Mach 3, and canned shaving cream/gel.  Regardless of your method of shaving, have something like this for your kit lay-out.  You probably will not get away with being allowed to use an electric razor.

Vell said:
I thought I would just tag along my facial hair question to this existing thread:

How strict are they at BMQ/BMOQ for older men who are prone to get the annoying 5'oclock shadow (especially when humidity is high). Are you required to shave more than once in a day in this case or is facial hair really only checked during mornings?

On a related note, what method do most people at BMQ shave with? Disposable carts and canned cream/gel? Electric? Double edged razor and shaving soap/cream with brush? Straight razor and shaving soap/cream with brush? Are any of these methods not allowed / not recommended?

I am a DE, cream and brush shaver myself (electric for fast emergency dry shaves).

Personally, I used a Fusion ProGlide at BMQ.  No Cream, just hot water, and quick strokes.  As for now, I use the ProGlide for parade days and special occasions, but on ship, I just buzz the ol' electric on the mug to get the majority.  The staff will want to see like a mach 3 or some sort of a cart razor with the can of cream in the layout.  Electrics are not permitted during BMQ.  Sucks, but there it is.

kratz said:
Buddy, go to silent and read vice posting.

Unless you know CFP 265 and your Coxswain, any answer your provide is misleading.

True, as always.  If you have questions, your Swain is basically the guiding light.  Not sure if you should have something or not, ask the Swain.  And in my experiences (and having a few awesome Coxn's) they are more than happy to answer your questions before they become an issue, thereby saving you a pile of poop.

As for the original poster's question about waxing eyebrows... Well, I personally would wait until you are out of BMQ.  You are going to have enough to worry about on course that waxing your freaking eyebrows will NOT be high on the priorty list anyways.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Rev

NavyHopeful said:
... The staff will want to see like a mach 3 or some sort of a cart razor with the can of cream in the layout.  Electrics are not permitted during BMQ.  Sucks, but there it is.

Will I be expected to actually shave with said 'display' set of cart and can of cream or can I just put it out as decoration and keep my real shave set somewhere else (DE razor, brush and cream... and no electric for those emergency quick dry shaves, darn).

If I don't have to use the set on display for my kit, I would likely just get some dollar store disposables and no-name foam. While I see no reason to ever use the terrible canned gels and foams (unless I am told I have to), commercial cart razors like Mach 3s can be good for faster shaves when time is really tight, so I may opt for them over cheap disposables.

The staff wants to see that you are using the toiletries in the layout.  That said, I know a few guys who'd use the razor once or twice, and keep the clean-but-used blade as an "inspection" blade, while rolling through other cartridges.  And I tried the whole dollar-store trick...  Honestly, spend the money and save your face.  If you are shaving every day, do you really want some 10-cent piece of crap dragging across your face?

As for the shaving cream can trick...  You can use the cream if you'd like, but I'd make sure you rinse the nozzle out good, and make sure it's dry.  Those stupid cans rust so easily, and if they see rust anywhere in your layout, they will loose their minds!!!  You will NOT have a good time!!!  Also, if you DO use the bar and brush, they will still have you keep the cream or foam can in your layout.  Everyone the same, right?  I only know of one guy who got away with not having the can in his locker, and it was because he was allergic to one of the propellants in the shaving cream.  So he was allowed to have a bar of shaving soap and a brush in his layout, but had to carry his chit with hiim EVERYWHERE...  It was kind of amusing to see him pulling his chit out every inspection...

Last trick for toiletries...  use the bar of soap a few times so it looks like it's been used (wash your hands with it or something, but wear it down a bit) and only use shampoo or hair and body wash in the shower.  Kinda wierd, but it'll save you time as well.  I was able to cut my shower time in half after PT by using shampoo as a body wash, or by using an all-in-one hair and body wash.  You don't have to swap products.  You just dump a handfull and start scrubbing.  But be forewarned...  You will DEFINITELY want your bar of soap in the field.  It is by far easier to use.  As is the quick water-only shave.  But in a pinch, you can use your bar of soap to shave your face.  It isn't awesome, but it'll do the trick.

Hope that helps, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers.

Rev

Vell said:
Will I be expected to actually shave with said 'display' set of cart and can of cream or can I just put it out as decoration and keep my real shave set somewhere else (DE razor, brush and cream... and no electric for those emergency quick dry shaves, darn).

If I don't have to use the set on display for my kit, I would likely just get some dollar store disposables and no-name foam. While I see no reason to ever use the terrible canned gels and foams (unless I am told I have to), commercial cart razors like Mach 3s can be good for faster shaves when time is really tight, so I may opt for them over cheap disposables.

My 25 years experience tell me you are worrying too much about something that isn't really that important in the big scheme of things. Make sure you are in shape and ready mentally.

:2c:

Hi everyone,  Im looking for info or a sample memo.  I just graduated in August.  I would like to start growing my beard, but have been told I need to submit a memo with all the proper references.    Any help and or direction would be greatly appreciated!  Cheers.

Hi everyone,  Im looking for info on references or a sample memo.  I just graduated in August from basic.  I would like to start growing my beard, but have been told I need to submit a memo with all the proper references.    Any help and or direction would be greatly appreciated!  Cheers.

You'll need to fill in a few details as it affects the answer you're likely to get:

Are you Army, Air, or Navy?
Are you Reg or Res?

Check your other post on the subject.

BTW, we consider it bad manners to post the same question in different areas.

Anyway, your unit should have a "Request Form" that you would need to complete. This should be attached to your memo. Your references are the dress manual, and whatever COTM or other unit instruction there is on the subject. Your supervisor should help you find those, the Cox'n is usually the authority on the subject. Page 18 of the document below should give you a starting point for your memo format. The foregoing notwithstanding, most units won't allow one to grow a beard prior to completion of basic trades training.

Staff Work Guide 4.0

ModlrMike said:
You'll need to fill in a few details as it affects the answer you're likely to get:

Are you Army, Air, or Navy?
Are you Reg or Res?

Hi there, im actually Navy, but in health care and currently posted in Petawawa.  So I have not seen any other navy personnel around to ask for advice  :(

ModlrMike said:
Check your other post on the subject.

BTW, we consider it bad manners to post the same question in different areas.

Anyway, your unit should have a "Request Form" that you would need to complete. This should be attached to your memo. Your references are the dress manual, and whatever COTM or other unit instruction there is on the subject. Your supervisor should help you find those, the Cox'n is usually the authority on the subject. Page 18 of the document below should give you a starting point for your memo format. The foregoing notwithstanding, most units won't allow one to grow a beard prior to completion of basic trades training.

Hi thanks for info, and sorry about manner, was unaware.  My main problem is that I am posted at CFB Petawawa currently at 2 Fd Amb doing healthcare training(purple trade).  So there are not any other navy personnel I can go to for advice and my main reason for posting here. 
:-\
Staff Work Guide 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back