• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things CAF and Covid/ Covid Vaccine [merged]

Meh. I had to get a bunch for Afghanistan, so that take doesn’t impress me. And it absolutely was effective, as seen in ICU numbers and the relative proportion of who was ending up there. Obviously not 100%, and obviously this virus has had the ability to escape immunity to some considerable degree. None of which invalidates the legitimacy of the policy requirements at the time they were made and enforced. Nobody forced any troops to take a vaccine, it was simply a choice they had to make that would have employability consequences.

Anyway, this has been hashed out here many times over. Troops chose the behaviour, they chose the consequences, and they were very informed as to what that would be. I recall at least that when I was in, your own preferences and wants did not take precedence over the operational requirements of the service. I didn’t think I got out long enough ago for that to have changed.
Oh no, my friend! That was the old army. Now it's all self actualization and being who you want to be, and some people don't want the shot. And, full disclosure, I've had a shitload of them. :sneaky:

Oh no, my friend! That was the old army. Now it's all self actualization and being who you want to be, and some people don't want the shot. And, full disclosure, I've had a shitload of them. :sneaky:
Oh god, he's letting the Mefloquine do the talking again!

Acid Trip GIF by Felly

That's the best part about partisan political memes, they're almost always completely wrong and misleading.

COVID-19 vaccine does not:

1. Outside a 10-12 week window protect anyone from getting COVID
2. Reduce your ability to pass on the virus to others
3. If you're 0-50 with no COVID risk factors meaningfully reduce your chance of being hospitalized
That has nothing to do at all with the meme....

On top of the 299 military members told to leave the forces, an additional 108 Regular Forces members requested to leave voluntarily as of Sept. 13, citing the mandatory vaccination policy as their prime reason for releasing. The departures represent about 0.56 per cent of the roughly 71,500 currently serving Canadian Armed Forces members.

On top of the 299 military members told to leave the forces, an additional 108 Regular Forces members requested to leave voluntarily as of Sept. 13, citing the mandatory vaccination policy as their prime reason for releasing. The departures represent about 0.56 per cent of the roughly 71,500 currently serving Canadian Armed Forces members.

Some discussion of releasing members with remaining obligatory service.
Did any of those released have a remaining period of obligatory service? Could possibly be a "novel" (pun intended) approach to getting out early without fully paying back expensive education or training. Do any guidelines for this policy include mention of those on a term of obligatory service?

It's complicated... that sums us up nicely ;)

Poilievre demands end to military vaccine mandate, but some say it's more complex​

OTTAWA — Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is demanding an end to the vaccine mandate for military members, but his health critic suggested the situation might need a more nuanced approach.

Last week, Poilievre called for an end to the COVID-19 vaccine mandate for members of the Canadian Armed Forces, saying it was “obviously unscientific and contradictory” to keep that rule in place while ending the requirement for those crossing the border into Canada.

On Tuesday night, Poilievre circulated a video on Twitter of those comments from question period in the House of Commons on Sept. 23 and repeated his call for the rules to be changed.

“Many of the men and women who want to fight to defend our freedoms aren’t even free themselves to serve their country,” he added. “End all the COVID vaccine mandates, now.”

As of Saturday, the vaccine mandate for those in the Canadian military will be the last one left at the federal level. While Poilievre in his tweet pinned the responsibility for lifting them on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, the Department of National Defence says the choice is up to defence chief Gen. Wayne Eyre.

I can attest to a few of those at my unit.

But I can also say that the ones we lost in most cases did us a favour by leaving.
Some "less than stellar" performers and guardhouse lawyers no doubt yelling and screaming "they can't do that".

I can attest to a few of those at my unit.

But I can also say that the ones we lost in most cases did us a favour by leaving.

That's because doing what you're told even if you don't like it is a large part about being military. Generally speaking, nobody in the military wants people around that don't do what they're told. Military people are accustomed to doing what they're told even when they don't agree. So the extreme % of uptake in the CAF, or anywhere livelihoods were threatened, is not a good metric for voluntary compliance.

Booster uptake in the general population gives a good idea about how the average person feels about it. As does uptake in annual flu shots.

It's complicated... that sums us up nicely ;)

Poilievre demands end to military vaccine mandate, but some say it's more complex​

I'm sorry but the law of inintended consequences looms large here. What happens next? No more compulsory immunization for anything? How do we function in the world where protective immunization is a requirement to cross borders?

Back