• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things CAF and Covid/ Covid Vaccine [merged]

my grandparents on my mom's side, both lived thru the Depression as kids. One in the Toronto area, and one in Manitoba. The Manitoba orange was the hardest to get as it was hard to get fresh fruit out any time of year let alone an imported Orange.

Both would get an orange for Christmas in their stockings, and I got one as a kid. This is the first year I did not get one in as long as I can remember.

It wasn't that long ago that people used to get oranges as presents at Christmas. My mother and father in law remember that.

Yes, we lived a 'Dickensian Christmas Carol' existence. :rolleyes: It was expected that that there would be an apple and an orange in your stocking (a real wool sock, not one of those fanciful made up Xmas stockings). And with the fresh orange there was always the much preferred 'Chocolate Orange' and a Christmas pack of Lifesavers. And while it didn't come to our house, you could order a Christmas food and treats package from the Eaton's catalogue that would be delivered to relatives in the UK.

my grandparents on my mom's side, both lived thru the Depression as kids. One in the Toronto area, and one in Manitoba. The Manitoba orange was the hardest to get as it was hard to get fresh fruit out any time of year let alone an imported Orange.

Both would get an orange for Christmas in their stockings, and I got one as a kid. This is the first year I did not get one in as long as I can remember.
We had the same tradition because my dad was born in 42 in the UK and grew up with rationing. My wife genuinely doesn't like citrus, so of course her stocking is overflowing with tangerines.

God, this brings back memories!
One of those things that you can tell you grew up on the Prairie and may have had parents that grew up in the depression.
Another one Beehive corn syrup on pancakes...

If you ever want to read about the depression there are a few things you can read or watch.

The Dust Bowl - a two part documentary interviewing survivors of that era - my FIL and MIL are but two.
The Great Depression by Pierre Berton. He has some not so nice things to say about Canadian political figures during that time.

The effects are still being felt today. I don' t like throwing things out that still can be used. Shirl loves cardboard boxes.

My dad was born in '14 and grew up on a farm in Ontario during the Depression. My step mother was a war bride who lived through The Blitz. Anything in our house that had the slightest possibility of a future use was kept. Cleaning out the house after he passed was a treat. On the other hand, they were both resilient and self-reliant.

The effects are still being felt today. I don' t like throwing things out that still can be used. Shirl loves cardboard boxes.
(forgot to like in my last post)

I'm bit of a 'keeper', particularly in my workshop, but every now and again do a cull, mostly out of necessity. My brother looks at something once and if he can't see a use it's gone. I will take something apart as far as I can so recyclable parts are separated; not so much as a throwback to my parents but we lived through a rather nasty battle about a new landfill and I'd rather not have a need for a new one anytime soon - particularly if it is near me!

I have friends that try to keep stuff like cans, bottles and fibre out of their landfill. Trouble is their town doesn't have a recycling program so their house looks like an episode of Hoarders.

Its not just a decline in CAF standards its a decline in Canadian fitness in general. I have witnessed 16 year old male potential recruits fail the Force test (and not at the sandbag drag part).

Considering I am not in the best of shape myself (don’t work out, do a bit of strength work with my job, but otherwise next to no cardio in my life) and I purposely go as slow as possible on the test to prove a point and still pass with ease, it is scary where our society is heading.

That was one thing the Fascists had figured out, physical fitness was a big thing for them. Instead the West has basically given up with ‘body positivity’ becoming the replacement for physical fitness.
Maybe a few stimulants of a chemical nature?

If you ever want to read about the depression there are a few things you can read or watch.

The Dust Bowl - a two part documentary interviewing survivors of that era - my FIL and MIL are but two.
The Great Depression by Pierre Berton. He has some not so nice things to say about Canadian political figures during that time.

Lobster Sandwiches were a staple in the Rural Maritimes during the depression. My grandfather used to throw his Lobster out so the other kids wouldn't know he was poor as Lobster was considered 'garbags of the sea' and anyone with money ate baloney.

Funny to think about now.

Lobster Sandwiches were a staple in the Rural Maritimes during the depression. My grandfather used to throw his Lobster out so the other kids wouldn't know he was poor as Lobster was considered 'garbags of the sea' and anyone with money ate baloney.

Funny to think about now.

Its an insect. Its disgusting. And delicious in garlic butter lol

YBOyypG.png

YBOyypG.png

I knew him first as a Capt and my Ops O. He'd be a hard man to take down. I know how bad COVID hit me, but that was nothing compared to Kyle's experience.

Guessing that if he were not, this situation would be loudly declared as an example of consequence for not getting vaccinated.
And if he was that it would be loudly declared as an example of vaccines not working. But like you I’m just guessing.

Back