• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things GPS (recommendations, tips, etc.) - merged

Where abouts do you have your GPS?

• In a pocket in the tacvest

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • On a pouch attached to the outside of the tacvest

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • On your wrist (wrist gps)

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Attached to your rifle

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • In or mounted on a vehicle

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Multiple positions or other

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Just carry a compass

Votes: 14 28.6%

• Total voters
I use the Garmin eTrex Legend H (its about $130) good accuracy and waterproof, just sucks when your in buildings, oh and they take AA batteries. here is a link to their page; http://www.gpscentral.ca/products-handheld.html

Was experimenting with my gps placement and curious how others carry theirs and feedback.

I'll have a compass in my breast pocket with a cut down map somewhere in my pants
Gps wise I carry 2.

Next I'll have a farming vista cx (with uploaded topi graphical maps) in a pocket on my tacvet.(usually front grenade pocket)

Finally a garmin fortrex. (101 but I'll be upgrading to the 401)
I started with it on my wrist but didn't like it there so attached it to the outside of my vest- using it for quick grid checks an direction.  Recently I've tried attaching it to the hand guard of my rifle for patrolling.  So far te simple bearing/direction function is working really well.  Anyone have other feedback or unique setups?

Pouch on hip belt or tac vest.

Also carry a compass and map.

I am old school. I use the compass and map to get me going in the right direction. I use the gps to tell me where I am right now.

I have a flip down panel I wear on my left shoulder since thats the only place on the TV I can attach it.

2 are built in the aircraft and the other in the front right pocket of my survival vest.

Oh, wait...... ;D

As a Platoon Signaler, I find it most useful on my wrist, for those quick SITREPS, LOCSTATS, and other fun such things.
As a Rifleman, the DAGR sits in my C9 pouch, and is only used to confirm locations. I prefer the Map and Compass for navigating, as it gives you a more visceral feel.

The one the wife begged for her car two Christmas ago is still in the box somewhere in her closet. Mine's an app on my BB.
Didn't have fancy gadgets when I served, Silva compas on a lanyard , left breast pocket.

Since I am now, or will be considered, old and decrepit, the troops insist I ride and try to refrain from touching shiny objects with buttons that make them do wonderous things.

I have a Garmin Foretrex 401,  I wear it on my wrist and works good like said above for those quick sitrips, contact reports, etc  Always in the back of my mind to keep an eye on it as I don't 100% trust that wristband retention for the 401.

My hand-held is in my glovebox, at the bottom, under some useful stuff like left over ketchup packets... It's a Magellan and I hate it  :mad:

My Garmin, on the other hand, is firmly attached to my dashboard.  ;D

Jim Seggie said:
Since I am now, or will be considered, old and decrepit, the troops insist I ride and try to refrain from touching shiny objects with buttons that make them do wonderous things.

But you can always one up them by asking what they'd do when the batteries died. :nod:

I carry my GPS in my iPhone. Now.... Where did I put my iPhone?

Jim Seggie said:
But you have that magical power to mention "I would like to go here..." and you are instantly brought there. Or else the troops will feel your wrath! Similar to Kirk with the transporter... HA!

ME

Using the wrist gps mounted on the rifle was hit and miss in the heavy brush. Moved it to my wrist and comformed i hated it. Ended up moving it to my vest.

Also realized that using Google earth on a smartphone is VERY handy- I was
shown afterwards a giant pond that wasn't on a map or Areal photo but there plain as day on Google earth.  Does Google Earth have a mgrs converter?

Are the new touch screen gps's very fragile?

Right hand corner of the G wagon windsheild, when i dismount it is................. oh wait I'm Armour I never dismount ;D

Google Earth PRO can utilize MGRS. I have used this to varying degrees of success off my Android. Ultimatly, it is an EXCELLENT planning tool...when you have cell phone signal.

http://support.google.com/earth/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=40901

Check the release notes for version 5.2

If one is a keen Jihadi eager to train for the latest recommended suicide-bomb-concealment technique, one could always jam it up one's...

Loachman said:
If one is a keen Jihadi eager to train for the latest recommended suicide-bomb-concealment technique, one could always jam it up one's...
As long as you agreed to the requisite "pre-treatment" they recommended..... :eek:

wildman0101 said:
Map,,, Compass,, pacemeter. Nuff said. LOL

When I first read that I thought it said "pacemaker".  :rofl:

Back