• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Joint Sigs Regt/JSR (merged)

Fred Herriot said:
John's only a master corporal?!  Jeez!  Are promotions THAT slow in C&E?!

Not slow at all...

Fred Herriot said:
John's only a master corporal?!  Jeez!  Are promotions THAT slow in C&E?!

Won't speculate on a members " speed " of promotions.  There are a number of factors.

I will say MCpl Adlington  is a respected member of the unit, and known as a SME in a number of fields.

PiperDown said:
Won't speculate on a members " speed " of promotions.  There are a number of factors.

I will say MCpl Adlington  is a respected member of the unit, and known as a SME in a number of fields.

True, you're right.  It just surprised me, that's all.  It's been over twenty years since I last saw him, so I'd figure he'd be a troop warrant at least.

Now at JSR, and at the moment, doing the DL portion of my DP 2.0 . Talk about Death by PowerPoint...!

A quick question for you all, if anyone could help me out. I'm startin my BMQ in a few weeks and going into ACISS, can anyone tell me exactly what is ACISS CORE and how one goes about getting into it?

Wrong thread for this, we have an ACISS specific thread here. You'll eventually be asked what your preference is once you get to your OJT unit or on your DP1 and simply ask to remain core. All ACISS pers are Core until they select/are selected for a sub-occ.

NRobichaud said:
A quick question for you all, if anyone could help me out. I'm startin my BMQ in a few weeks and going into ACISS, can anyone tell me exactly what is ACISS CORE and how one goes about getting into it?

As it sounds Core is the central part of the trade.  All members of the trade will be "core" qualified.  If you do not wish to go LST, IST or CST you will remain core.

Thanks a lot! I was told ACISS CORE has a bunch of travel opportunity, both Canada wide and abroad? Travel is one of the main reasons I took the trade, So I would like to get into whatever will grant the most chances!

Travel depends on the unit.  Some units you could go to the field a lot(to exciting places like Wainwright an Suffield) others could be minimal/nil.  As for travel abroad, hard to say.  Myself and others have gotten to train outside Canada and tours etc;  I also know quite a few Sigs who have never left Canada.

Really the same for the majority of CF trades. 

Posted to JSR sooner than later (Jul 15 COS, memo in to bump up report for duty date due to house sale at origin!).

Wondering about a few things from folks whom live and work in Kingston now...

Reporting in to JSR for first day of work in dress of the day, not DEU1A correct? Does anyone do that anymore?

What timeframe is JSR's summer block leave period? Since I'll be moving there right before or during the beginning of it, I'm curious.

Did the base open up the training area yet to pedestrians for bike trails etc? I highly doubt it but I heard about it back a few years ago, the possibility.

How much is electricity and natural gas in Ontario these days? I'm coming from Alberta where the natural gas to heat your home is dirt cheap but electricity is fairly expensive... Other way around in Ontario I think right?

Heard all kinds of rabble about living in Greenwood Park, slightly more for than against, some nice houses in there but ouch on the property taxes!!! Any other interesting tid-bits anyone would like to add?

Thanks,

Joe

Sig Joeschmo said:
Posted to JSR sooner than later (Jul 15 COS, memo in to bump up report for duty date due to house sale at origin!).

Wondering about a few things from folks whom live and work in Kingston now...

Reporting in to JSR for first day of work in dress of the day, not DEU1A correct? Does anyone do that anymore?
Yes dress of the day.  I would suggest you do that before you go on leave as LDA starts the day you clear in.

What timeframe is JSR's summer block leave period? Since I'll be moving there right before or during the beginning of it, I'm curious.

29 Jun - 11 Aug.  All members are encouraged to take a minimum of 10 days.  The CO has authorized two short in either July or Aug (but not both).

Did the base open up the training area yet to pedestrians for bike trails etc? I highly doubt it but I heard about it back a few years ago, the possibility.

No they have not.

How much is electricity and natural gas in Ontario these days? I'm coming from Alberta where the natural gas to heat your home is dirt cheap but electricity is fairly expensive... Other way around in Ontario I think right?
Don't know the exact rate for all, but I pay about $200/mo for gas, hydro, water, etc.

Heard all kinds of rabble about living in Greenwood Park, slightly more for than against, some nice houses in there but ouch on the property taxes!!! Any other interesting tid-bits anyone would like to add?

Can't help here, I don't live in PMQ North.

Thanks,

Joe

Hope this helps.  I would say I'll see you when you get here, but I am heading off to 76 Comm Gp on 7 Jul.

Sig Joeschmo said:

I have a new build house (1450 sq ft) in PMQ North, and I pay $81 gas, ~$130 hydro, ~$50 for water a month. I leave a computer running all the time, and have a HRV so my power is a little higher than normal.

PuckChaser said:
I have a new build house (1450 sq ft) in PMQ North, and I pay $81 gas, ~$130 hydro, ~$50 for water a month. I leave a computer running all the time, and have a HRV so my power is a little higher than normal.

Thanks very much for the info!

We (family and I) settled on a place not in Greenwood Park surprisingly... We really liked it once we seen it and got a tour of the area but the house we fell in love with after 30 homes in 2 days ended up being in the Bay Ridge area. Little more of a drive, I know.... But what can you do? Price was right, wife and I both thought it was right, rare enough as that can be we jumped on it!

In Kenora now, see you folks 24 June as that's my RFD date unless something terribly bad happens!

Sig Joeschmo said:

In Kenora now, see you folks 24 June as that's my RFD date unless something terribly bad happens!

Do you know where you'll working be in the regiment yet?

Welcome; see you when you clear in.

211RadOp said:
... but I am heading off to 76 Comm Gp on 7 Jul.

Where did you buy? I'm 20 minutes from your brother's new place.  We'll have to all get together for a big BBQ one weekend that I get home.

Enjoy your new job! Oh ... and welcome back from Wx; damn planes.

:cheers:

ArmyVern said:
Where did you buy? I'm 20 minutes from your brother's new place.  We'll have to all get together for a big BBQ one weekend that I get home.

Enjoy your new job! Oh ... and welcome back from Wx; damn planes.

:cheers:
  Going IR and staying right downtown.  Literally a 5 minute walk to work.

And I agree with the planes comment.  Damn RCAF.

ArmyVern said:
Do you know where you'll working be in the regiment yet?

Welcome; see you when you clear in.

I've been told when I showed up on the 24th I'm in 1 Sqn, B Tp as I'm an IST. Nerd fest galore! I was shown around quickly, filled out some leave passes and don't show my face again until 19 Jul. =)

Hello there fellow mates!
I'm a young recruit currently at CFSCE kingston doing the debut of my career and exploring around the various branches I'd like to ask a few questions concerning any possible outcomes.

So, first off, what are the Canadian Forces Joint Signal Regiment? Are they under the AF? as an ATIS student, I've been informed I can enroll in multiple maintenance units, including crypto (for which I require a min of 3-5 yrs of service, and even then there's no guarantee they'll hire me), networking, IS maintenance & support, maybe even become a signaler, radio tower op? I really don't know a lot when it comes to my options when it comes to outside of Info systems and directly related to it.

I AM VERY INTERESTED IN SERVING UNDER THE TAN BERETS! My grandfather wore a tan beret back in his days and I want to follow in his footsteps or at least amount to his achievements as close as I possibly can!

On CFB Kingston's website, I see the following units are stationed here:

3 Area Support Group Signal Squadron
4 CDSG Signal Squadron (formerly 2 Area Support Group Signal Squadron)
5 CMBG Headquarters and Signal Squadron (Fr 5e GBMC Quartier général et Squadron de transmissions)
4 Telecommunications and Information Services Squadron
8 Telecommunications and Information Services Squadron
14 Telecommunications and Information Services Squadron
17 Telecommunications and Information Services Squadron

727 Signal Squadron St. John's NF
731 Signal Squadron
742 Signal Squadron
Canadian Forces Information Operations Group Canadian Forces Electronic Warfare Centre (CFEWC)
Canadian Forces Information Operations Group Headquarters (CFIOGHQ)
Canadian Forces Network Operation Centre (CFNOC)
Canadian Forces Signals Intelligence Operations Centre (CFSOC)

Canadian Forces Station Leitrim

Canadian Forces Joint Signal Regiment

Information Management 7 Communication Group 76 Communication Regiment 764 Communication Squadron
765 Communication Squadron
Canadian Forces Crypto Maintenance Unit
Canadian Forces Crypto Support Unit

all the underlined units are what I THINK i can join as an ATIS tech, but I could be wrong.
I'm seeking guidance and preferably a point into the right direction in terms of what's my best option.

Concerning what I can do, I'm a good information finder, I know my way around computer systems fairly well, and I'm fairly experienced with a radio.
I can also strategize, plan out events and I'm pretty handy when it comes to organization, basically an all around support individual.

What are your opinions on my curiosity?

Thank you all in advance,

Avr Manchev
MOS 00109

Back