• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things Supply

runormal said:
I've got a question, when I was issued the new pants (the ones with the knee pads). I was only issued one knee pad. A months later I asked if I could get a second knee pad and was told that they didn't exist in the system as a stand alone item, but that they were considering ordering some as replacements as they do not last for ever. It has been a year since I last inquired. Do stand alone kneed pads exist?

Thanks,

Runormal - yes, the knee pads exist in the system (stand alone is a broad statement) with a stock code. Your Clot Whse should be able to order you one. Most clothing stores should have some already on hand though... I have a question for you - did you bring the "missing" knee pad to the attention of the clothing staff at the time of issue? On a side note, I actually had this same question a while back, and the answer I got was "I didn't know there was supposed to be two..." I s*** you not.

I will inspect everything you pass to me at the front counter. You should do the same. Not a HUGE deal, but if your kit was incomplete at the time of issue, how does the system pick up any possible shortfalls if you wait for a month or two to go back and say "Ooops - I need this tomorrow..."

The pictures of the knee pads here are the COTS (20 000 3810) not to be confused with the flimsy little pieces of Styrofoam found in the legs of the new pants...

BinRat55 said:
Runormal - yes, the knee pads exist in the system (stand alone is a broad statement) with a stock code. Your Clot Whse should be able to order you one. Most clothing stores should have some already on hand though... I have a question for you - did you bring the "missing" knee pad to the attention of the clothing staff at the time of issue? On a side note, I actually had this same question a while back, and the answer I got was "I didn't know there was supposed to be two..." I s*** you not.

I will inspect everything you pass to me at the front counter. You should do the same. Not a HUGE deal, but if your kit was incomplete at the time of issue, how does the system pick up any possible shortfalls if you wait for a month or two to go back and say "Ooops - I need this tomorrow..."

The pictures of the knee pads here are the COTS (20 000 3810) not to be confused with the flimsy little pieces of Styrofoam found in the legs of the new pants...

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm actually referring to the "flimsy little pieces of Styrofoam found in the legs of the new pants..." Can I get a replacement knee pad? My pants only came with one.

As Per -

I have a question for you - did you bring the "missing" knee pad to the attention of the clothing staff at the time of issue? On a side note, I actually had this same question a while back, and the answer I got was "I didn't know there was supposed to be two..." I s*** you not.

I didn't realize until after the pants were issued to me. I sat down and realized once I opened the bag. While I could of gotten back in line, I was with a friend and didn't want to make him wait.  I agree if I don't say anything the system can't know

runormal said:
Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm actually referring to the "flimsy little pieces of Styrofoam found in the legs of the new pants..." Can I get a replacement knee pad? My pants only came with one.

No, you were clear - I don't quite know why the pics of the hard-shelled tactical knee pad came from, but in my answer I too was referring to the Styrofoam insert. Yes - if your clothing stores doesn't have any, they should. If your R&D doesn't, then there is something wrong. I can tell you for a fact that gagetown has extra everything. All you have to do is ask - nicely!

Poop happens, and we are understanding. Next time, try not to wait a month. Have a look at home that night (if you can) and give Clothing a call the next day - a lot of things can be cleared up with a phone call too. Failing all that, you are entitled to 3 pairs of pants. That should give you 5 knee pads (with one missing...) You can only wear 2 (a pair) so have Clothing (if they have no knee pad for you) annotate your docs to say you only have one pad vice two so when you return your pants no one will poop on you!

I've got another question, I've searched and I couldn't find anything.

I'm currently attached posted as a Class A reservist. Do you know if I can do 1 for 1 exchanges at the area's clothing stores or do I need to go back to my home units clothing stores? I'm not looking to get anything "new items issued" just replacing broken kit (Gerber, Pouch, ruck sack belt). 

I've never had an issue exchanging while on course/tasking. Worse they can say is no, then ask them how you go about getting them exchanged.

I would chance it but I got told "no" while on course on Borden and the instructors said it "was a Borden Problem". I also don't own a car and it would be a 3 hour round trip using city buses or $70 in taxis. Alternatively I may also be returning to city where my home unit is for an interview so if I'm allowed/can I'll exchange them there as it will definitely be easier. I just want to know which side of the coin I fall on.   

runormal said:
I've got another question, I've searched and I couldn't find anything.

I'm currently attached posted as a Class A reservist. Do you know if I can do 1 for 1 exchanges at the area's clothing stores or do I need to go back to my home units clothing stores? I'm not looking to get anything "new items issued" just replacing broken kit (Gerber, Pouch, ruck sack belt).

So, I'm a little confused... how does one get "attached posted" as a Class A? The answer to your question is this:

Class A reservists have to do their exchanges on parade nights. If you can't make parade nights for good reasons and you are close to a supporting base, your AO or Unit Suppie can make a call to Clothing on your behalf and see what they can do.

Class B reservists can do regular business at their supporting base Clothing while employed as such.

I'm also kind of confused as to where you are - are you nearer to where you parade or nearer to a base?

BinRat55 said:
So, I'm a little confused... how does one get "attached posted" as a Class A? The answer to your question is this:

Class A reservists have to do their exchanges on parade nights. If you can't make parade nights for good reasons and you are close to a supporting base, your AO or Unit Suppie can make a call to Clothing on your behalf and see what they can do.

Class B reservists can do regular business at their supporting base Clothing while employed as such.

I'm also kind of confused as to where you are - are you nearer to where you parade or nearer to a base?

You simply request it, i've seen it used for short term school/employment purposes, it fills the gap between ED&T and transferring. Right now I'm studying at different university for a year.

Interesting point wrt exchanging on parade nights, I've always done the exchanges in person at clothing stores with my parent unit. In both cases it is about the same distance to the unit and the area clothing stores.

Pm inbound WRT to specifics.

BinRat55 said:

Is this a new policy? I've exchanged things on my free time as a Cl A reservist, at my supporting base, during their regular working hours. Not once was I ever asked my status, just military ID and service number.

PuckChaser said:
Is this a new policy? I've exchanged things on my free time as a Cl A reservist, at my supporting base, during their regular working hours. Not once was I ever asked my status, just military ID and service number.

No, you can always do that from the clothing stores I have worked around.  Some open during (some) reserve nights, some support far flung reserve units in the manner BinRat described.  All options are the way support "should" work.

Supply questions (if you are still taking them). 

Is the CAF still issuing the green wool glove liners? 

These used to be used under the old black leather combat gloves (or on their own).  Are they still issued for use under the new CADPAT leather combat glove?

Cheers,

MC

MedCorps said:
Supply questions (if you are still taking them). 

Is the CAF still issuing the green wool glove liners? 

These used to be used under the old black leather combat gloves (or on their own).  Are they still issued for use under the new CADPAT leather combat glove?

Cheers,

MC

Nope. We stopped issuing those a few years ago. I still have a pair or two I think. The leather gloves get all stiff and impossible to wear anymore.

Is there a place on the DWAN where various scales of issue are available for reading?

I am just curious about some items that I have received/not received and whether or not I'm actually "entitled" to them.

LunchMeat said:
Is there a place on the DWAN where various scales of issue are available for reading?

I am just curious about some items that I have received/not received and whether or not I'm actually "entitled" to them.

There used to be a material authorization link (web query tool) at the DMMD site, but it's way outdated. You might be able to utilize the search feature within ACIMS, however that would MTL be unreliable as well. I can find all up-to-date scales of issue in DRMIS (but I have access whereas you probably do not).

If you have specific questions about entitlement feel free to ask me anything. I won't send the MPs to your door if you're a trucker with fireman's boots on your charge I promise! All I need is your trade and unit (not to track you down, but entitlements are not only based on your trade but your position as well...)

Edited : to be succinct. 

Just getting frustrated with Borden's supply system. A working pair of boots is not 'gucci'.  Nor is a rain jacket. 

I'm on a QL3 course, and I know not the army's top priority, but the phrase 'you'll have to wait for your unit for item ______ or a suitable replacement' is out of hand here. 

I can't fathom how things are this convoluted.  I understand the purpose of supplying 1st line bases first, but the answer to everything here is 'no'.  My friend has been walking around in Gortex boots for a year now and every time he goes down there they tell him 'sorry' or 'go buy some a pair of swats'. 

I never dreamed for a second the army would ask us to go buy our own boots, or try to make us feel bad about asking for a second pair. 

Sorry for the rant but I'm beyond confused.

Thanks again for doing this thread. 

I feel your pain and understand your frustration.

As a PO2 Sup Tech I hate not having the kit people need and even worse I hate it when I should have it and its gone. 

Shortages of kit is not the fault or responsibility of the storesman/suptech/civi worker standing on the the other side of the counter.  I have to believe, because I know the people running that CLOT Stores, that they are doing everything they can to get kit on the shelves and issue that kit out.  Unfortunately doing everything you can as a Sup Tech is really nothing more than making sure you have a Dues In on the item(s) and if its been a while contact the Depot and/or supply manager to try and push the kit out a little faster.

The issue arises with Supply Managers (SM) and Life Cycle Material Managers (LCMM) these guys are the ones responsible for keeping the supply shelves full and stock levels high for everything the military has from spare parts to ammo to clothing, everything.

You also have to realize the Army and RCN are going through a pretty big uniform change and shortages are going to happen.  Units/bases have been prioritized to get the new kit,  I don't know where Borden falls in that priority list but I suspect it is behind the Petawawa's, Trenton's and Halifax's of the CAF.

There are things we can all do to alleviate this.  Take the basic Scale of Issue (SOI) for field kit;  if you are in a position that doesn't require you to have this then return it to supply, others may need it.  Same with combats, if you are in a position where your dress of the day (DOTD) is not combat/operational clothing (i.e. CADPATs and NCDs) then return anything you have above your basic 3 pants 3 shirts SOI.  Or, like me, when I was base side in Kingston my DOTD was NCDs so I returned all of my cadpat with the exception of two sets just to cover PT and other unforeseen circumstances. 

If you get kit and the condition is unsatisfactory.  Report it using the Unsatisfactory Condition Report (CF777).  These do get actioned.

Take away these points:

1) The Sup Tech is not/should not be at fault for having bare shelves; (perfect world I know)
2) Return kit you don't need, this includes spare parts, clothing, etc, etc;
3) Contact the SMs and LCMMs if you are frustrated and cannot get the stores/kit you need; and
4) Use the UCR form (CF777) to report unsatisfactory kit.

Yours,

HT

Halifax Tar said:
3) Contact the SMs and LCMMs if you are frustrated and cannot get the stores/kit you need

Thanks for the reply.  I whole heartedly don't blame the supply Tech's, just am flabbergasted by the fact I've watched a guy walk around in Gortex boots for more then a year and supply here can't seem to help him out.  He knows he can buy some but it is pretty much a principle thing at this point. 

Could you suggest how one could go about contacting the appropriate SM or LCMM?  I doubt walking into supply and asking to speak to the Management would go over well or bear fruit. 

I truly have patience and respect for the storesies, I just am so confused how Borden can be short of essential kit all the time and label boots or rain jackets 'Gucci'. 

Best,

BorisK said:
Thanks for the reply.  I whole heartedly don't blame the supply Tech's, just am flabbergasted by the fact I've watched a guy walk around in Gortex boots for more then a year and supply here can't seem to help him out.  He knows he can buy some but it is pretty much a principle thing at this point. 

Could you suggest how one could go about contacting the appropriate SM or LCMM?  I doubt walking into supply and asking to speak to the Management would go over well or bear fruit. 

I truly have patience and respect for the storesies, I just am so confused how Borden can be short of essential kit all the time and label boots or rain jackets 'Gucci'. 

Best,

If you have the Nato Stock Number (NSN) plug it into: http://cgcs.mil.ca/DTICS/SITE/CGCS_Search_e.asp

If you dont have the NSN got to supply and get it.  They should have no issue giving you an NSN.

When  you plug it into the CGCS look under the SM heading, if you hover your mouse over the code (23B for example) you will get contact info.  I suggest using the info to send the person an email.  If you are uncomfortable doing this engage your CoC with the info you now have ;)

Not being supply I feel hesitant to put my input in, but I suggest that as a Pte you don't contact the LCMM directly bring it up to your chain of command and let your unit RQ (or the senior supply tech) contact them.  They might have more information as to the reasons why and with their rank and position be able to get a better answer.

Back