• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alleged PMO obstruction in SNC Lavalin case

She has also retained counsel for advice on what she can and can talk about, so it looks like she intends to once her ducks are in a row. The lawyer's no slouch, either- eight years as a Supreme Court justice. Get your popcorn out, kids.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/jody-wilson-raybould-resigns-from-trudeau-cabinet-1.4293529
OTTAWA – Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould has resigned from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s cabinet.

This comes amid ongoing questions about into whether Trudeau or anyone in his office tried to have Wilson-Raybould abandon the prosecution of a case against SNC-Lavalin when she was justice minister and attorney general.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has called an emergency cabinet meeting for Tuesday morning, though most ministers are in their ridings or fanned out across the country, so many will be teleconferencing in and not all together around the cabinet table in Ottawa.

I'm guessing it's over SNC. Is she trying to create space between herself and the PMO?

More here: https://www.hilltimes.com/2019/02/11/pmo-interference-working-title/187968

Brihard said:
Just breaking now- Jody Wilson-Raybould has resigned from cabinet. This is about to get very interesting...
Brihard said:
She has also retained counsel for advice on what she can and can talk about, so it looks like she intends to once her ducks are in a row. The lawyer's no slouch, either- eight years as a Supreme Court justice. Get your popcorn out, kids.
Good catch -- here's her letter (source).
:pop: indeed ...

Attachments

• DOC120219-12022019103907.jpg
    DOC120219-12022019103907.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 260
Can you imagine the tension in both Parties war rooms right now?  Will she, won't she....happened, didn't happen,... scream to the press, ask to respect her privacy?  Popcorn  time is right....

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot in front of the Chinese. Imagine what kind of optics this is projecting internationally.

Brihard said:

I hear it's a good sign when your former lawyer gets a heavy hitting lawyer for advice on what to do with you....  :pop: :pop: :pop:

Is she going to be the Michael Cohen of the North?  Time for the PMO to start tweeting "Fake News" and have some Make Corruption Great Again hats.

Cloud Cover said:
Is she going to be the Michael Cohen of the North?  Time for the PMO to start tweeting "Fake News" and have some Make Corruption Great Again hats.
:rofl: :rofl:
And nothing but net for the win!!! ;D

Cloud Cover said:

No. She will speak to this issue enough of what she can speak about to preserve her own integrity, to cement her reputation as a straight shooter, and also to show that she still possesses enough discretion and good sense to be very valuable to the CPC. She's not going to burn down the house on the way out because that impacts the CPC's risk calculation if they bring her onboard. She will cover her own butt, and more pointedly will not cover PMJT's.

Navy_Pete said:
I hear it's a good sign when your former lawyer gets a heavy hitting lawyer for advice on what to do with you....  :pop: :pop: :pop:
:nod:

For the record, here's the bio of the jilted lawyer's lawyer.

Brihard said:
... show that she still possesses enough discretion and good sense to be very valuable to the CPC. She's not going to burn down the house on the way out because that impacts the CPC's risk calculation if they bring her onboard ...
I agree with your read on her calculus, but I'd be very surprised to see her move to Team Blue.  I've been wrong before, but I don't see her aching for that end of the political spectrum.  Also, if it's true that she's willing to speak the truth to Team Red power, that wouldn't necessarily change much working for Team Blue.

Award for the best ill timed comments.

PM Trudeau in BC yesterday:
"She confirmed for me a conversation we had this fall, where I told her directly that any decisions on matters involving the director of public prosecutions were hers alone," Trudeau said Monday.

"I respect her view that, due to privilege, she can't comment or add on matters recently before the media. I also highlight that we're bound by cabinet confidentiality. In our system of governance, her presence in cabinet should speak for itself."

A couple keys that may have peeved the ex Minister - "she confirmed", "I told her directly....decisions....hers alone", "due to privilege, she can't comment",  and "we're bound by cabinet confidentially".

Then the really ill timed - "In our system of governance, her presence in cabinet should speak for itself."

Cloud Cover said:

Michael Cohen but actually credible.

The former AG is almost beyond reproach in how she's handled the situation thus far.

Rifleman62 said:
Then the really ill timed - "In our system of governance, her presence in cabinet should speak for itself."
For as long as said presence lasted, anyway.  #StrawThatBrokeTheCamelsBack?

milnews.ca said:
I agree with your read on her calculus, but I'd be very surprised to see her move to Team Blue.  I've been wrong before, but I don't see her aching for that end of the political spectrum.  Also, if it's true that she's willing to speak the truth to Team Red power, that wouldn't necessarily change much working for Team Blue.

You could be right... It'll be interesting. Scheer has a presser soon, maybe there's something coming. The house doesn't sit again til next Tuesday.

While I would understand her not being naturally inclined to the CPC, her time in government and at a senior level has probably shifted her perspective somewhat. It also depends on her personal ambition. To stay relevant in federal politics, at this point that can only mean the CPC. She's done with the LPC, there's no coming back from this. BC doesn't have a provincial election for another couple of years yet.

I think it also depends on what her read is on how the next election will go. If we're seeing the start of a pre-election LPC implosion (I'm not yet convinced we are, but she knows much more than I), she might see crossing as a necessity, in the interest of her own future, and in the interest of getting a First Nations voice solidly and prominently into the CPC.

Brihard said:
... she might see crossing as a necessity, in the interest of her own future, and in the interest of getting a First Nations voice solidly and prominently into the CPC.
On the bit in yellow, I keep forgetting we're talking about Homo Politicus no matter what party they're in, so future positioning is a factor.

Well, based on at least some recent events, Team Blue could use some boost in that area, especially now that anti-PMJT memes sometimes include "why aren't First Nations getting clean water?"

Here's the latest out of Team Blue on this one:
The Honourable Andrew Scheer, Leader of Canada’s Conservatives and the Official Opposition today called on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to preserve all documents relating to the ongoing SNC-Lavalin Affair after the cabinet resignation of Jody Wilson-Raybould.

In a letter sent to Trudeau this afternoon, Scheer called on him to ensure all documents including “memos, letters, emails, pins, SMS messages, and handwritten notes” pertaining to the prosecution of SNC-Lavalin be preserved amidst the pending cabinet shuffle to replace Ms. Wilson-Raybould.

The request applies to records held by former Attorney General Jody Wilson-Raybould, Attorney General David Lametti, and senior Prime Minister’s Office officials including, but not limited to, Katie Telford, Gerald Butts, Mathieu Bouchard, and Elder Marques.

“With Ms. Wilson-Raybould’s resignation from cabinet, and a cabinet shuffle imminent, it’s absolutely imperative that Mr. Trudeau ensure the preservation of these records,” Scheer said. “Canadians deserve to know the truth around what happened and these records must be preserved.”

Scheer also said Ms. Wilson-Raybould’s resignation is a sign of a government in disarray.

“Mr. Trudeau’s ethical lapses and his disastrous handling of this latest scandal have thrown his government into chaos,” Scheer said. “He promised Canadians open and transparent government and he has betrayed that promise. Canadians deserve better.”

Click here to view the letter.

I would still wager that with all of this, the 2019 election is still for JT to lose, not for the CPC to win. She could move to an independent status, in fact she probably should, just to twist the knife a little more.

Cloud Cover said:
I would still wager that with all of this, the 2019 election is still for JT to lose, not for the CPC to win. She could move to an independent status, in fact she probably should, just to twist the knife a little more.

Independent does the most damage to the Trudeau Liberals. It solidifies that the decision she made was to uphold the rule of law and completely non-partisan. If she crosses the floor to any party, it can be spun as her being disgruntled at the "demotion" (I hate calling the MVA as a demotion), and therefore she shouldn't be believed.

milnews.ca said:
...For the record, here's the bio of the jilted lawyer's lawyer.

Interesting excerpt from his bio regarding ‘Community Involvement’...

“ • Mentor, Trudeau Foundation”

Perhaps “• Past Mentor, Trudeau Foundation” in the future?

Regards
G2G

Back