• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alleged PMO obstruction in SNC Lavalin case

Brad Sallows said:
The thing about custom is that it is mutable.

As John Bercow and the British Parliament are demonstrating.  They started off playing soccer and now they are playing Aussie Rules.

And as to Cabinet Confidentiality - look into the Prorogation discussion and whether or not special advisors's emails are confidential.

Nothing is what it was anymore.  And I miss it.  Time to retire to the pub.

Would the Obstruction of Justice in investigating an Obstruction of Justice be considered a DOUBLE NEGATIVE = A POSITIVE......ie. It is positive proof that Justin is guilty?

:whistle:

George Wallace said:
I know Justin "experiences 'transparency' differently" than the rest of us Canadians.
Writ dropped. HERE COMES GW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Wallace said:
Would the Obstruction of Justice in investigating an Obstruction of Justice be considered a DOUBLE NEGATIVE = A POSITIVE......ie. It is positive proof that Justin is guilty?

:whistle:

In the words a famous and wise philosopher who knows all about scandals, "A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." :whistle:

Sprinting Thistle said:
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." :whistle:

My brain hurt after reading that.

Sprinting Thistle said:
In the words a famous and wise philosopher who knows all about scandals, "A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." :whistle:

Who could possibly forget that one.....  :facepalm:

Just to inform the discussion regarding Cabinet Confidentiality, sinc eI've seen people talking about 'well why don't the RCMP get court orders' and such- the applicable section of law is section 39 of the Canada Evidence Act.

This is one of the most cut and dried sections of any law in Canada, and it doesn't offer a legal or judicial mechanism to get around it, as are found with other similar evidentiary exclusions such as those found in sections 37 or 38 relating to public interest, national security, or diplomatic relations.

There is literally no power whatsoever for any judge of any court at any level to override cabinet confidentiality. Ministers of the Crown and the clerk of the Privy Council have an absolute power to withhold cabinet confidences from disclosure. There is no mechanism anywhere that lets police, courts, or any other public body compel the disclosure of cabinet privileged information.

As the Clerk of the Privy Council reports to the PM, the buck stops with Mr Trudeau.

Brihard said:
... There is literally no power whatsoever for any judge of any court at any level to override cabinet confidentiality ...
Unless a new government wants to change the law -- opening themselves to losing the protection of cabinet confidence. 

ModlrMike said:
As the Clerk of the Privy Council reports to the PM, the buck stops with Mr Trudeau.

Particularly evident when one describes the Clerk by one of their three functions - the PM's own Deputy Minister.

Regards
G2G

Ho hum, another day in Trudeau's Canukistan. I really can't fathom how anyone could be surprised by this. His whole tenure has been nothing but deceit and dishonesty. From his election promises four years ago, to the latest debacle, with more to come, I'm sure.

So this appears to be done, because nobody cares anymore. There’s likely no RCMP investigation now. The only people who can pass judgement are the electorate.

Cloud Cover said:
So this appears to be done, because nobody cares anymore. There’s likely no RCMP investigation now. The only people who can pass judgement are the electorate.

Keep living the dream. Many are just stupid and only vote the latest lie or sound bite. I don't have confidence in the electorate, especially Sanctuary City and east of Ontario. Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised on the 22nd, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Cloud Cover said:

To whom the Liberals are throwing monetary promises to in vast quantities.

With due respect, Liberals are good in juggling of our tax returns where their rhetoric sounds as if we are given enormous monies. I get taxed $ 650 every month. So that is $ 8000 in taxes per year. I get a total $ 2,500 in tax returns and other benefits. I am not whining because of my expected pensions. I also do not care if I get taxed 40% for overtime. I saved $300,000. I will buy a seniors apartment when I retire. No complaints because the Conservatives did the same.

The latest ....
SNC Lavalin Construction Inc. Pleads Guilty to Fraud

SNC-Lavalin Construction Inc.(SLCI) pleaded guilty today in the Court of Quebec to fraud contrary to s. 380(1) a) of the Criminal Code.

In an Agreed Statement of Facts filed with the Court, the company admitted that between 2001 and 2011, $47,689,868 was directed to Saadi Gadhafi. In exchange for the payments, Saadi Gadhafi used his influence as the son of the Libyan Dictator Muammar Ghadafi to secure construction contracts for the benefit of SLCI, altering the competitive bidding process and causing a loss or a risk of loss to the Libyan people.

The money was directed through two representative companies, Duvel Securities Inc. and Dinova International Inc., both of which listed Riadh Ben Aissa, former vice-president and president of SLCI, as the sole beneficial owner.

Additionally, amounts totalling $73,582,219 were paid through the representative companies to Mr. Ben Aissa and to Sami Bebawi, former president of SLCI, for their personal benefit. Mr. Ben Aissa pleaded guilty in Switzerland in 2014 to corruption of foreign public officials, disloyal management of funds, fraud and money laundering in relation to these same events. Mr. Bebawi was found guilty of fraud, corruption of a foreign public official, laundering proceeds of crime and two counts of possession of proceeds of crime by a jury in Quebec Superior Court in Montreal on December 15 2019.

The Public Prosecution Service of Canada and counsel for SLCI made joint submissions for a fine of $280,000,000, payable in equal regular instalments over a five-year period. The Court also issued a three-year probation order, with conditions that SLCI cause the SNC-Lavalin Group to maintain, and as required, further strengthen its compliance program, record keeping, and internal control standards and procedures.

"We are pleased that after entering into a facilitation conference supervised by the Court of Quebec,  we were able to reach an agreement that is fair and furthers the administration of justice," said Federal prosecutor Richard Roy. "In cases as complex as this, resolutions play an integral role in the criminal justice system.

"I would like to thank the prosecutors for their dedicated work on this very challenging case, in the face of unprecedented public attention" said Kathleen Roussel, Director of Public Prosecutions. "They have demonstrated an unwavering commitment to ensuring a just outcome."

In 2015, SNC-Lavalin Group Inc. and two of its affiliates, SNC-Lavalin Construction Inc. and SNC-Lavalin International Inc., were charged with corruption of a foreign public official and fraud. The remaining charges were stayed against all three defendants as a result of the resolution.

The Public Prosecution Service of Canada is a national organization responsible for prosecuting offences under federal jurisdiction in a manner that is free of any improper influence and that considers the public interest. The PPSC is also responsible for providing prosecution-related advice to law enforcement agencies across Canada.

– 30 –​
More from MSM @ Google News here.

No jail time, just like SNC wanted.

Better get them some more government contracts to help them pay for their fine.

Jarnhamar said:
No jail time, just like SNC wanted.

Better get them some more government contracts to help them pay for their fine.

Their fine was nothing more than a slap on the wrist.  A few hundred million dollars is nothing compared to the billions of dollars companies are fined in the US. 

Back