• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

CallOfDuty said:
Does anyone know when I will start receiving PLD pay?  Would it be during my NE tech training, or will I have to wait until its over and get posted to a ship?
 Getting PLD and also sea duty allowance will definately help this OS pay the mortgage. ;)

Best answer... check your CSOR or ships office as you have to apply through them in order to get PLD.

as long as you live on the base you will not be eligible for PLD, it's only once you'll get your own private accomodation, then you need to apply for it, if you are living with someone else that's from the military both your PLD will be slightly reduce

Well sounds like he has a mortgage. :) Well you will need a copy of your home owners certificate or whatever you have that proves you live where you say you live. Then you will have to go to CSOR ("Pink Palace" if you are in Halifax.)  Take a number, sit down and wait. When you go up tell them you would like to commence PLD. Should be fairly easy. If you are unsure about what you need then call ahead and ask.

It isn't an application, it is a privilege everyone gets that lives off the base

In victoria it sure doenst cover the mortgage, the allowance after taxes is roughly 300$ if im not wrong. My studio apt was 545$. A condo with all the various fees will not cost you under 1000$ per month

PLD sure helps but it's not meant to cover mortgage

OK It actually isn't directed at the rent alone. It is used to augment all of the living difference from base to the next. Groceries, local services and living costs. :) Spend it on beer if you like though.

Collin.T said:
as long as you live on the base you will not be eligible for PLD, it's only once you'll get your own private accomodation, then you need to apply for it

TAS278 said:
it is a privilege everyone gets that lives off the base

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect.
We live On Base & in PMQ's & Receive PLD.

BOSNwife said:
I'm sorry, but you are incorrect.
We live On Base & in PMQ's & Receive PLD.

Yes you are right, I generalized there, forgeting that people still use PMQ's. Funny thing is they charge the same amount for PMQ's across the country. (at least they are supposed to) and PLD is different. :(

By PMQ you mean those little overpriced shitty house ?? Cause I don't think someone living in one of the blocks would get PLD ?

TAS278 said:
Funny thing is they charge the same amount for PMQ's across the country. (at least they are supposed to) and PLD is different. :(

I'm sorry but that is incorrect. PMQ's ARE charged at different rates. They go by how many bedrooms & quare footage of Living space.

Collin.T said:
By PMQ you mean those little overpriced shitty house ?? Cause I don't think someone living in one of the blocks would get PLD

I'm sorry are you calling my PMQ (Private Military Quarters) a "little overpriced shitty house" I happen to like my house & it's view of the Ocean & the Navy Jetty.
If you are refereing to the blocks as 'Single quarters' than you are correct, no PLD for them.

LOL

BOSNWife....honey you need to calm down LMAO

Yes I agree sometimes people dont understand unless they are living the situation BUT is it worth getting banned or starting fights?
Yes I agree our "little overpriced shitty houses" get trashed all the time. Their doing the renovations in our area and its looking better (well as long as they would fix those fences by the main road .... LOL.... but for the most part, they have come a LONG way since a few years ago. I live in one of the bigger PMQs and I love my house, minus the fact how hard it is to heat it in the winter. But you take the good with the bad and when something goes wrong, be thankful its not coming out of our pocket for the expensive to have it fixed. Yes we may have to call and leave message after message or show up in person to CFHA, however, they do come out (evetually) and the work is done. Mind you sometimes its not to the best quality but nevertheless, its done. The PMQs will never be "up-to-date" with the of the communities around us because there is such a high demand for these homes (I know...I was on a 9 month waiting list) and they need to get in and out as quickly as possible (to fix them up) to accommodate for this. The people across the road from me left 2 days ago and already they are in there ripping up old flooring and getting ready to paint. Anyway thats my little blurb on it all LOL...

BOSNWife - just think hun....only 5 more months before he comes home  :) You can do it hun....and remember Im only a phone call away!

S.Bradbury
    :cdn:

I have just been posted prohibited, which means no authorization for moving F & E.  I'm also receiving PLD.

According to the CBI 205.45 in regards to PLD:

(2) (Application of PLD) PLD is a taxable benefit payable to eligible members of the Regular Force and to members of the Reserve Force who are moved at public expense for service reasons, who rent or own a principal residence in a qualifying location.

However, the CBI has defined principle residence as such:

"principal residence" means a dwelling in Canada, other than a summer cottage, other seasonal accommodation or a single quarter that is occupied by the member or their dependants and is situated at:

1. the member's place of duty, if their furniture and effects are located at that place,

2.the member's former place of duty,  if the member is not authorized to move their furniture and effects at public expense to their place of duty,

3. the place where the member's furniture and effects were located on enrolment, if that place is a place of duty and the member is not authorized to move their furniture and effects at public expense to their place of duty, or

4. any other place of duty, selected place of residence or designated alternate location, if the member is authorized to move their furniture and effects at public expense to that place, except for the purpose of release or transfer to the Reserve Force.(résidence principale)

So the obvious question becomes: do I still receive PLD corresponding to my current location after I got posted?  If there is anyone in the know who can provide some guidance, that would be greatly appreciated.

OR

Should this remained unanswered until I can go to my orderly room and ask directly, in order to prevent any unsupported speculation. 

In any event, an advanced "thank you" to those who answer.

Looks like you should still retain your PLD even when attach-posted out with restricted F&E.

I am trying to find the Compensation and Benefits Instructions for Canadian Forces (CBI) in refer Chapter 205. It states to refer to this at the bottom of the DND 2272 (06-00) PLD Request Form.

My problem is now, we are living at a family member home due to their kind hearts/disabilities. We help out in any way. But where I am clearing into the Regular Forces I need to apply to PLD, or am I entitled to do it? I don't want to make a false claim or anything. Getting in trouble first week at a new work ain't my thing. So any help? I need to know before I submit my in-clearance package in Monday.

Cheers,
TN2IC

???

You mean this section big guy?

From http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/cbi/engraph/home_e.asp?sidesection=6&sidecat=22&chapter=205

205.45 - POST LIVING DIFFERENTIAL

(1) (Policy) Post Living Differential (PLD) is established as a means of stabilizing the overall cost of living of CF members and their families in order to maintain a relative and predictable cost of living no matter where in Canada the members are posted (excluding isolated posts). PLD rates represent the differential between the CF standard cost of living in Canada and the cost of living at established PLD areas. PLD rates are set annually based on a Treasury Board approved methodology.

(2) (Application of PLD) PLD is a taxable benefit payable to eligible members of the Regular Force and to members of the Reserve Force who are moved at public expense for service reasons, who rent or own a principal residence in a qualifying location.

(3) (Definitions) The definitions in this paragraph apply in this instruction.

"CF standard cost of living" means the weighted average of the cost of living of the Canadian Forces locations in Canada other than at isolated posts. (coût de la vie normalisé des FC)

"cost of living" means the sum of money required to provide for the following categories of household expenditures for a household of three persons, with a household income as may be determined from time to time by the Minister:

shelter,
food,
clothing,
furniture and other household items,
personal care,
medical and dental care,
domestic services, including childcare,
recreation,
transportation,
income tax,
sales tax, and
"marginal tax rate" means the second from the lowest personal federal tax rate combined with the applicable provincial or territorial tax rate without any surcharge or reduction. (taux marginal d'imposition)

"member" means an officer or non-commissioned member. (militaire)

"place of duty" has the same meaning as in CBI 209.80 (Application and Definitions). (lieu de service)

"Post Living Differential Area" means a location in Canada within the boundaries of a CF place of duty where the cost of living exceeds the CF standard cost of living in Canada. (secteur de vie chère)

"principal residence" means a dwelling in Canada, other than a summer cottage, other seasonal accommodation or a single quarter that is occupied by the member or their dependants and is situated at:

the member's place of duty, if their furniture and effects are located at that place,
the member's former place of duty, if the member is not authorized to move their furniture and effects at public expense to their place of duty,
the place where the member's furniture and effects were located on enrolment, if that place is a place of duty and the member is not authorized to move their furniture and effects at public expense to their place of duty, or
any other place of duty, selected place of residence or designated alternate location, if the member is authorized to move their furniture and effects at public expense to that place, except for the purpose of release or transfer to the Reserve Force.(résidence principale)
"service couple" means two members who are married or in a common-law partnership. (couple militaire)

(4) (Entitlement - Regular Force) Subject to paragraphs (7) to (19), a member of the Regular Force whose principal residence is located within a PLD Area is entitled to the monthly PLD established for that area.

(5) (Entitlement - Reserve Force) Subject to paragraphs (7) to (19), a member who, as a result of a period of Class "B" or "C" Reserve Service, is authorized to move their furniture and effects at public expense to their place of duty is entitled for that period of service to the monthly PLD established for that area if

that place of duty is within a PLD Area; and
the member's principal residence is located within that area.
(6) (Subsequent periods of service) Subject to paragraphs (7) to (18), a member who

commences a new period of Class "B" or "C" Reserve Service within one year of completing the entire period of service described in paragraph (5) (i.e., no early termination initiated by member); or
occupied single quarters during the initial period described in paragraph (5), and who would have been entitled to PLD if they had established a principal residence during that period, is entitled to PLD at the established rate if
the new period of service is performed at the same place of duty as the previous period of service,
that place of duty is within a PLD Area,
the member's principal residence is located within that area, and
the member has not transferred from the reserve unit to which he or she belonged at the time the initial period of service described in paragraph (5) commenced, to a local reserve unit.

(7) (Change in boundary of place of duty) If a geographical area that forms part of a place of duty is redefined under authority of CBI 209.80 (Application and Definitions), a member whose principal residence was located in that area, remains entitled to PLD at the established rate while they or their dependants occupy that residence, or in the case of a member on a period of Class "B" or "C" Reserve Service, until the end of that period of service.

(8) (PLD at other than the place of duty) For the purposes of this instruction,

when a PLD rate exists at the location of the principal residence, the member is entitled to the lower of the PLD rate for that location and the rate established for the member's place of duty provided that the member
is posted from one place of duty to another place of duty and, although authorized, chooses not to move dependents, household goods and effects to the new place of duty and to maintain his/her principal residence at the former location, or
is not posted, but chooses, and is authorized to move at his/her own expense to another location where they establish a principal residence, or
is posted to a new place of duty and is as authorized by the Minister of National Defence to move to a location other than the place of duty, in accordance with CBI Chapter 209 (Transportation and Travelling Expenses), Section 9 (Integrated Relocation Pilot Program) where they establish a principal residence; and
when a member is posted from one place of duty to another place of duty and the member is authorized to move dependants to a selected place of residence in Canada under CBI 209.82 (Movement of Dependants), paragraph (1)(h), or, to a designated alternative location or selected place of residence in Canada under CBI 209.90 (Movement of Dependants, Furniture and Effects to Other Than the Place of Duty of the Officer or Non-commissioned Member), paragraph (5), if a PLD rate exists at the location of the new principal residence, the member is entitled to PLD at the established rate.
(9) (Not entitled) A member is not entitled to the PLD if

their principal residence is located at an isolated post as defined in CBI 205.40 ( Isolation Allowance); or
they are authorized an early move to an intended place of residence prior to release, regardless of location.
(10) (Joint occupation) A member is entitled to receive 75% of the PLD if he/she jointly occupies a principal residence with another member who is entitled to the PLD.

(11) (Service couple) If the members of a service couple who are each entitled to the PLD are serving at the same place of duty and jointly occupy a principal residence, each member is only entitled to receive 75% of the PLD rate.

(12) (Member of service couple posted) A member of a service couple referred to in paragraph (11) who is posted to a new place of duty is not entitled to receive the PLD in respect of the principal residence at the former place of duty. However, if the member is authorized to move household goods and effects and occupies a principle residence at the new place of duty, the member is entitled to PLD in accordance with paragraph (4) or (5) as applicable.

Note: Where a spouse, who is a member of the Reserve Force, is moved in accordance with CBI 209.80, but not for the purpose of a period of Reserve service at the new place of duty, the Reservist is moved as a dependant in accordance with paragraph (3)(a) (Definitions) of that Article and is not entitled to PLD.

(13) (Member of service couple on attachment) A member of a service couple referred to in paragraph (11) who is on an attachment and who maintains a principal residence at the former place of duty during the period of the attachment is deemed to serve at the former place of duty and to occupy that residence.

(14) (Member without dependants) A member without dependants who maintains a principal residence at a place of duty while serving on an attached posting, remains entitled to PLD at the rate established for that location for the duration of the posting.

(15) (Calculation) Where the current three-year rolling average for an individual location exceeds the CF standard cost of living, the difference is grossed up by the marginal tax rate for the representative CF family and divided by twelve to establish a monthly rate for that year. The rate and locations qualifying for PLD will fluctuate annually as economic conditions change.

(16) (Provision for Affordability) Where warranted, the Minister of National Defence may prescribe measures to ensure continued programme affordability.

(17) (Accommodation Assistance Allowance - Regular Force) A member who, on 31 March 2000, was receiving a monthly Accommodation Assistance Allowance under the Regulations Concerning Accommodation Assistance Allowance at a rate higher than that provided for under this instruction, is entitled to a monthly PLD at the higher rate until the earlier of

the date on which the amount provided for under this instruction exceeds the amount the member was receiving; and
the date on which the member moves from the principal residence.
(18) (Accommodation Assistance Allowance - Reserve Force) In the case of a member on a period of Class "C" Reserve Service, the member is entitled to receive Accommodation Assistance Allowance in accordance with paragraph (17), with the additional provision that the entitlement will terminate the earlier of paragraphs (a), (b), or the date that period of service ends.

(19) (Administrative Process) Members with their principal residence in a qualifying location who wish to request PLD must complete the Post Living Differential Request Form and submit it to their Unit Records Support for approval and processing. In approving each request, Unit Records Support authorities will confirm that the conditions of this instruction are satisfied, and enter approved requests into the Central Computation Pay System.

(TB # 830113, effective 1 Jan 03)

The last PLD adjustment was in Oct 05, or Jan 06, depending on where you reside.  I was just going over the DGCB website, and the plan for the PLD system was to annually collect data in January to April, calculate the rates in May, enter them into the pay system and announce in June, with a tentative effective date of 1 Jul.

Over the years, it looks like the dates have been announced later, and later, and later.  We're now past mid-Feb, so even an optimistic implementation date for the next adjustment would be April - meaning that we're going to be close to having a year without an adjustment since PLD was implemented in 2000 (I believe).

Anyone heard tale of what's going on with PLD?  (And no, the orderly room people haven't heard a peep  :))

284_226 said:
Anyone heard tale of what's going on with PLD?  (And no, the orderly room people haven't heard a peep  :))
Yup, and this is no lie, was briefed by DGMC pers that PLD has over expended its' envellope, and that it is likely to be cancelled as a whole with no replacement. And no AAA is not coming back either.

So don't expect any adjustment other then it being cancelled.

Well there is a post that will get people fired up!

I would love to be one to break the news to people working in Esquimalt!

AAA was never a good thing anyway.

PO2FinClk said:
Yup, and this is no lie, was briefed by DGMC pers that PLD has over expended its' envellope, and that it is likely to be cancelled as a whole with no replacement. And no AAA is not coming back either.

So don't expect any adjustment other then it being cancelled.

Ouch.  That wouldn't be very good news at all.  I can't speak for other high/medium rate areas, but Halifax was certainly on track for having a cost of living that was climbing far faster than other parts of the country, what with our regulated (chuckle) gasoline prices and skyrocketing property assessments...evidently someone forgot to tell the provincial assessors that the real estate bubble has burst.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I would love to be one to break the news to people working in Esquimalt!
Already done, I was briefed a few months ago and when I touched base with Sr Clerks in Esquimalt/MARPAC they stated having already been advised of this.

The msg been signed, due out soon. PLD rates will be reduced with some areas cut out all together.

Back