• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

CountDC said:
fun.  Sounds to me like his temporary place of duty is B as he has been given a temporary workplace change by his chain of command.  Trying to find the regulation on this - I know CFTDI covers it in part 5 but there should be something in CFAO/DAODs.  Don't see him getting any benefits out of it though as his residence is in the NCR.  Travel is less than going to Pet so no mileage there, PLD will be based on his residence and the NCR does not get PLD (except those that have been there forever still getting TPLD). 

In the real scenario, both Units A and B are in PLDAs that have PLD.

captloadie said:
If he is Reg Force, why don't they just attach post him to a unit in Ottawa? There are no financial implications for the unit, especially if the member chooses to live at home with his parents. We do it all the time in the RCAF when members are awaiting training but want to be close to their families. Hell sometimes we even post someone to their new unit, then attach post them back to their previous unit until APS if it meets everyone's needs.

Ha! That's funny, because in the real scenario this IS a member of the RCAF!

I thought you only get it for the NCR if you were posted there prior to it becoming the baseline.  Anyone new posted there doesn't get it as it is not a PLD area.

CountDC said:
I thought you only get it for the NCR if you were posted there prior to it becoming the baseline.  Anyone new posted there doesn't get it as it is not a PLD area.

The PET/NCR is a made up scenario that Ostrozac came up with.

The real scenario involves a member of the RCAF on prohibited posting to Base A but who is working and living in the geographic boundaries of Base B (without being formally attach posted to base B).

It's a matter of should he get PLD or TD or not.

Cheers

duh - didn't click. 

TD - no as he is staying at his place of residence.

PLD is more fun.  Can't get it for Point A as his residence isn't there. 

Point B is a possible:

CBI 205.45(4) (Entitlement – Regular Force) Subject to paragraphs (7) to (19), a member of the Regular Force whose principal residence is located within a PLDA is entitled to the PLD rate for that location established in the Table to this instruction for that area. 

place of duty has the same meaning as in CBI 209.80 (Application and Definitions). which states:

place of duty
means the place at which an officer or non-commissioned member usually performs their normal military duties and includes any place in the surrounding geographical area that is determined to be part thereof by the Chief of the Defence Staff or such other officer as the Chief of the Defence Staff may designate

Soo - by theory it would seem the mbr should be getting the PLD for area B.

as a side on pld, saw this today:

http://www.ombudsman.forces.gc.ca/en/ombudsman-news-events-media-letters/response-from-cds-status-of-pld-freeze-22-sept-2015.page

22 September 2015

Mr. Gary Walbourne
Ombudsman
Office of the Ombudsman
Department of National Defence
100 Metcalfe St, 12th Floor
Ottawa, ON K1P 5M1

Dear Mr. Walbourne,

Thank you for your correspondence of 31 July 2015 regarding the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) efforts toward renewing the Post Living Differential (PLD) and Transitional Post Living Differential (TPLD) benefits, and requesting an update regarding the timeline for decision and implementation.

Since this office’s last correspondence to you on 27 February 2013, the CAF has worked with Treasury Board (TB) officials and have come to a consensus on most aspects of a new PLD methodology that will better reflect the actual cost of living variances at CAF locations across Canada (less isolated Posts), continue to normalize the CAF standard of living, beresponsive to annual changes in costs of living, and be fair to all CAF personnel.

This very important benefit remains a high priority for CAF. Early this year, CAF had submitted a revised proposal – with updated PLD rates – and sought MND support to advance the file. Concurrently, TBS staff had reviewed the contractor-provided cost of living data and signalled their concurrence with the new rates. As a result the Parliament being dissolved on August 2 2015, progress towards a renewed policy approval and implementation is in abeyance until after the federal election.

As the renewal of this program remains under negotiations with TBS and the Government of Canada, we are unfortunately neither in a position to disclose further information nor to provide timelines for implementation. These restrictions equally limit the information that can be shared with CAF personnel.

Notwithstanding, CAF command teams have continued to reassure their personnel of the priority CAF places on the renewal of the PLD program and that considerable CAF effort continues to be applied towards this initiative.

Thank you again for your letter and you very genuine concerns for the welfare of our CAF members.

Sincerely,

J.H. Vance
General

cc: DM, VCDS, CMP

Notwithstanding, CAF command teams have continued to reassure their personnel of the priority CAF places on the renewal of the PLD program and that considerable CAF effort continues to be applied towards this initiative.

Really? There was already a process in place to review PLD rates every... 3 years wasn't it? They just... didn't. Cost of living is not the same as 2008. At a minimum, just give all the PLD rates an increase based on the annual inflation rate since 2008, and the reassess once you've got your new methodology.

Plus, the election is a year past. If this is such a priority, why isn't anything being done about it?

I mean, they did announce $30bn in new spending, didn't they?

Alas, I digress.

CountDC said:
Soo - by theory it would seem the mbr should be getting the PLD for area B.

This was my take. I'm waiting for the member's OR to get back to me.

Looking for some information!

I was posted to Edmonton with my service spouse from ottawa while I am still on Mata leave. I'm getting alot of different answer about whether I am entitled to pld while still on Mata,  the latest being it is already incorporated into my top up, but I'm getting the exact same amount as when I was in a no pld area. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

The CBI on MATA/PATA is poorly written in terms of what is considered an "eligible allowance".  (CBI 205.461).  I think that PLD is only included if you are in receipt of it before going on MATA/PATA, but the definition of "eligible allowances" is written in a way that I can see how there could be confusion. (http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-205-officer-ncm-allowance-rates.page#sec-461)

From iAsk:
This question comes from several members and has continued to be of great interest.

They ask: When will the Post Living Differential, or PLD rates be adjusted? Will the current structure be assessed or changed to better meet the changing cost of living standards for CAF members to compensate for the reality of the 2016 market, as the current rates were established in 2008?

Thanks for your questions.

Your response comes from Lieutenant-General Christine Whitecross, Chief Military Personnel:

Presently, Post Living Differential rates remain fixed at 2008 levels.

Since 2013, there has been a renewed effort by the Canadian Armed Forces and Treasury Board Secretariat to develop a methodology that addresses fairness, transparency and provides a degree of predictability. As part of these discussions, a cost of living study will be completed and assessed for all CAF locations in order to determine the applicability of PLD to the location. The results of the study will help inform the process moving forward.

Senior leadership within DND, CAF and Treasury Board have been fully engaged in the process and it is a high priority for the department.

In the meantime, CAF members continue to be supported by a robust compensation and benefits framework, reflecting the unique nature and demands placed on CAF members and their families. Components of the total compensation package are continuously reviewed and updated as required. CAF personnel are reminded that Post Living Differential is only one component of the benefits package.

Hey team,

I'm getting back in and being posted to 3 CDSB Det Wainwright. I currently live in Gibbons AB, about 20km North of CFB Edmonton, I'm not authorized to move until after I complete my new trades QL3. I know if your not authorized to move your principle residence you can collect PLD if it falls within an area but my question is does Gibbons fall into such an area? I'm not sure what the boundaries are.

Cheers.

TrunkMonkey315 said:
Hey team,

I'm getting back in and being posted to 3 CDSB Det Wainwright. I currently live in Gibbons AB, about 20km North of CFB Edmonton, I'm not authorized to move until after I complete my new trades QL3. I know if your not authorized to move your principle residence you can collect PLD if it falls within an area but my question is does Gibbons fall into such an area? I'm not sure what the boundaries are.

Cheers.

Lots of folks live up that way so you should be good.  I only say should because I can't access the actual boundaries right now.

I did see something at work on Thursday wrt PLD.  It is going under a review at the present and they say it will soon be released.  Changes "may" be coming to where you are and therefore don't be surprised if your levels change.  (Hopefully for the better as shit isn't getting any cheaper for anyone)

Hey guys , bringing back an old question.

I searched for PLD in Comox , some people say it is 0$ ( which I believe ) but then I saw someone here saying it was 684$ yet I can't find if this is true or not.

Just want to know before I select my 3 postings , because this will weight in my choices ! thanks !

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-205-officer-ncm-allowance-rates.page

Have a look at 205.45 - Post Living Differential (PLD)

1.  I would never pick a posting based on PLD.  It could disappear at anytime.  Just saying.

2.  Look at other things for Comox as well, like the entire COL in the area.  What is the average mortgage, apartment, what are PMQ rates, etc.  Same hold true for any location.

Eye In The Sky said:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-205-officer-ncm-allowance-rates.page

Have a look at 205.45 - Post Living Differential (PLD)

1.  I would never pick a posting based on PLD.  It could disappear at anytime.  Just saying.

2.  Look at other things for Comox as well, like the entire COL in the area.  What is the average mortgage, apartment, what are PMQ rates, etc.  Same hold true for any location.

Yeah I would never base my posting looking at only PLD , actually I always looked at Realtor.ca to all the location I am interested in , I am also looking at PMQ rates to the different bases too.

I am just wondering , right now I am on course with my PMQ at 815$ with 0 PLD , I was just checking if it would still be the same ball game or if it would differ a bit. 

Just to have a talk with the wifey and bring up every pros and cons with her !

Good sight for checking PMQ types, rates, etc.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-support-services-housing/locations-styles.page

Provincial tax rates, energy costs are pretty important to consider as well.  :nod:

yeah , Basically I am currently debating different posting locations

- Petawawa ( working on the chinook looks like a LOT of fun )
- Gagetown ( not going to lie , houses are pretty cheap and nice place to start a family )
- Bagotville ( girlfriend family is from Quebec and the house are still pretty affordable )
- Edmonton ( Always wanted to be there but houses are quite expensive )
- Comox ( well it's a dream location , I always dreamed of living next to the ocean and the outdoors , but it's not cheap by any mean )

My course should be done in July , we have to give our posting choice in like 1 month so I got to fix myself.  I have a girlfriend that is currently Pregnant and is due in August .... so that also put in some thinking of it's own.

That's why I am really thinking about all the places possible.

Someone here told me to pick a place to live and not a place to work , and I find it's a good advice ! haha

krimynal said:
- Comox ( well it's a dream location , I always dreamed of living next to the ocean and the outdoors , but it's not cheap by any mean )

Houses aren't cheap in Comox, but nearly everything else is.  Comox has everything at your doorstep.

I moved from Comox to Greenwood in 2013.  I lost close to $600 a month off my pay in taxes after stepping foot in NS.  That's not chump change brother.  So you really have to look at everything.

I know there are many factors to look at, but right now if you are looking for a first posting, Comox would be a good choice, IMHO.  The options are there, buy a condo, townhouse or rent a q. 

You won't be there forever. 

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I moved from Comox to Greenwood in 2013.  I lost close to $600 a month off my pay in taxes after stepping foot in NS. 

And Nova Scotia thanks you for your hard earned tax dollars.  :nod:

image.jpg

jollyjacktar said:
I did see something at work on Thursday wrt PLD.  It is going under a review at the present and they say it will soon be released.  Changes "may" be coming to where you are and therefore don't be surprised if your levels change.  (Hopefully for the better as crap isn't getting any cheaper for anyone)

Any update on this? Just found out I'm posted to Comox and curious if it has made the list for PLD yet.

Back