• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

Ahh. My trade is better than yours blah blah blah.

I can pretty much guarantee that my last MOSID was the one this forum would least respect.

Steward ? PERI ?

Just thinking of trades we respected so much to shuttered them.

I don’t know what experience you have with maintainers but your post above is right out of it.

There is a serious shortage of maintainers that has an impact on day to day functions of the entire CAF, domestically and deployments. Maybe you’re not aware of that, I am and it’s not something the RCAF and Div Comd’s are laughing at.

So they follow CFTOs. So? That’s a good thing. No one wants aircraft slamming into the ground.

For the record, what’s your trade?
You are correct, the point wasn’t to be accurate, it was to be as condescending and out of it as Quirky is about supply techs.

Every trade has its superstars. Almost anybody can be an aircraft maintainer, just throw them through the courses. There is nothing special about the ones that complete the course. They have been in high demand from civilian companies which is why they get spec pay. I have seen two people fail their QL3 trade qual in Gagetown (2005 and 2006) and be successful in Borden and become AVN techs. They were both posted to Cold Lake, I’m not sure if they are still there.

I am trade-less now, but my old trade was falling apart when I was in it. RPOU have been the final death blow I think.

You are correct, the point wasn’t to be accurate, it was to be as condescending and out of it as Quirky is about supply techs.

Every trade has its superstars. Almost anybody can be an aircraft maintainer, just throw them through the courses. There is nothing special about the ones that complete the course. They have been in high demand from civilian companies which is why they get spec pay. I have seen two people fail their QL3 trade qual in Gagetown (2005 and 2006) and be successful in Borden and become AVN techs. They were both posted to Cold Lake, I’m not sure if they are still there.

I am trade-less now, but my old trade was falling apart when I was in it. RPOU have been the final death blow I think.

Ok I’m tracking now. I’ll leave it to you both…

Almost anybody can be an aircraft maintainer, just throw them through the courses. There is nothing special about the ones that complete the course.

Everyone passes the courses, that’s the easy part and doesn’t make you an aircraft maintainer. I would like to see spec pay removed or reduced if you are no longer in a position of airworthiness.

Everyone passes the courses, that’s the easy part and doesn’t make you an aircraft maintainer. I would like to see spec pay removed or reduced if you are no longer in a position of airworthiness.
The spec pay goes to the qualification, not the employment.

I would like to see spec pay removed or reduced if you are no longer in a position of airworthiness.

Why would anyone want a qualified member of their own organization lose pay?

Yup an S1 in a PMQ in Vic is getting a 12K a year pay cut essentially.
I was in Esquimalt on TD when this dropped... holy f*ck their release centre is going to be busy if even a portion of the angry people pull the plug. Not helping is a few months ago BC ferries posted looking for several hundred openings with some kind of training package to transfer Martechs over to actual tickets.

Why would anyone want a qualified member of their own organization lose pay?

We need our techs earning spec when they are actually working on aircraft. Turn these side office jobs into civilian or whatever positions. Is it fair to pay someone who’s outside in -30 day in day out the same as someone etching tools or scheduling PT tests?

The spec pay goes to the qualification, not the employment.

Should be both.

I was in Esquimalt on TD when this dropped... holy f*ck their release centre is going to be busy if even a portion of the angry people pull the plug. Not helping is a few months ago BC ferries posted looking for several hundred openings with some kind of training package to transfer Martechs over to actual tickets.
BC Ferries love to poach our people that's for sure.

I just moved to Victoria from Ottawa this year. The cost of living is almost identical, I only notice a difference in gas really. Property is not too different frankly.
I think the big difference will be in the utilities; you will use far more heating and cooling compared to the more temperate and even temps you get in Victoria. But provincial taxes etc are comparable, and housing costs aren't really much different anymore. Coming here from Halifax I actually took home more money as provincial taxes dropped and my property tax rate went down, so even losing sea pay and PLD it was comparable.

But almost no PMQs here, so this is great news for a lot of folks in Ottawa that are looking at $2k/month in rent or $600k+ mortgages that previously got 0 in PLD so happy for my team.

I dunno...

Stuff like this is pretty good - in more ways than one ;)

Biden’s chocolate gift an ‘unbelievable’ moment for its Syrian-Canadian creator​

A lighthearted moment during U.S. President Joe Biden’s visit to Canada on Friday involving the gifting of a chocolate bar meant so much more to the Syrian-Canadian whose company created the treat.
70c8fc80

Tareq Hadhad, CEO of Peace By Chocolate in Antigonish, N.S., told Global News he was in disbelief after watching Green Party Leader Elizabeth May give Biden a “Peace Bar” during a welcoming ceremony in Ottawa.

“This is absolutely unbelievable. Totally unbelievable,” said Hadhad, who was invited to Friday night’s state dinner at the Ottawa Aviation Museum as a guest of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

“This is a moment for the history books for our family and we are incredibly honoured.”

As an aside, it's great chocolate. Really cool for Mr. Hadhad and hope this leads to a boost in business.

Ahh. My trade is better than yours blah blah blah.

I can pretty much guarantee that my last MOSID was the one this forum would least respect.
The person playing the Glockinspiel.

This possibly the best meme I've seen about this topic:

View attachment 76959

NAILED IT!
The difference being that this time, some of those being impacted are also the ones saying "well back in my day..."

Also, I'm one of those in the middle. I wasn't in a place getting PLD, and make too much to get HD. I can still feel for the folks being negatively impacted, but also understand that based on a finite amount of money and the concept of Utilitarianism (the most ethical choice is the one that will produce the greatest good for the greatest number), HD is better than PLD was.

I also appreciate that one of the outcomes could have been "ok CAF, you guys can't get your crap together so all PLD is gone, without any benefit". I don't know what the chances of that actually happening would have been, but I'm willing to bet it wasn't zero.

The person playing the Glockinspiel.

The difference being that this time, some of those being impacted are also the ones saying "well back in my day..."

Also, I'm one of those in the middle. I wasn't in a place getting PLD, and make too much to get HD. I can still feel for the folks being negatively impacted, but also understand that based on a finite amount of money and the concept of Utilitarianism (the most ethical choice is the one that will produce the greatest good for the greatest number), HD is better than PLD was.

I also appreciate that one of the outcomes could have been "ok CAF, you guys can't get your crap together so all PLD is gone, without any benefit". I don't know what the chances of that actually happening would have been, but I'm willing to bet it wasn't zero.
One possible line of thinking is that this bandaid has to be ripped off so we may as well get it over with now.

I can't help but agree. I am also hopeful that enough people quit that we are forced to do a total force reduction.

Back