• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Altama Jungle Boots...

chrisf

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone own a pair of Altama jungle boots? Any thoughts on how effective they are?

I bought two pairs of their "Sahara" jungle boots, was never pleased with them, while they fit quite well, the upper gave very little protection, the fabric seemed fair flimsier then I expected, trying to get rid of them now, considering buying their "MilSpec" boots though... anyone know if the uppers of the "MilSpec" boots are heavier? Would it be the same as the desert boots?

Yes, The milspec uppers are heavier. They should be Cordura. In fact the whole boot is better in milspec. I have had Bellville, Altama, and Wellco and been please with them all, but they were all G.I. and not commercial make ups for the surplus biz.

By the way Altama is part of the 5.11 family

Kind Regards
Brian Kroon

Just a Sig Op said:
Anyone own a pair of Altama jungle boots? Any thoughts on how effective they are?

I have a pair and I love 'em!  First pair of JB's I've found that will take orthotic insoles comfortably.

Just don't waste your money on the cheap Rotcho type. They don't last long. I had a pair for about a week before they fell apart on me.

Edit for spelling

Has anyone had experience with putting Vibram soles on jungle boots? I've got a pair of Prospectors that are soon to be replaced and though I would scavenge the sole and put them on a pair of jungle boots.

Lerch said:
Has anyone had experience with putting Vibram soles on jungle boots? I've got a pair of Prospectors that are soon to be replaced and though I would scavenge the sole and put them on a pair of jungle boots.

well Lerch, a few years ago i was given a nice set of Vibram re-soled jungle boots and i find them quite comfortable and easy on my feet to wear.

I spotted these and wondered if anyone had field tested these guys:

http://www.desert-gear.com/cotaboc8.html

ConverseDesertBoot.jpg

Looks decent and the price is right.  I would just be concerned that they were not tough enough to last over in A'stan. 

Wow...those look like something off a videogame.

I got my Welco Jungle Boots resoled with vibrams,  fav boot right now  ;D

I just received a pair of Altama Jungle Boots ( the ones off CP gear). I haven't been on an exercise with them yet, but from what I can tell they are an excellent pair of boots. They are like combat running shoes almost. Very flexible cordura upper and strong yet flexible leather lower portion. They have two instep drainage vents on each boot which are good for both breathability and letting the swamp you just walked through drain out of your boots. They have speed laces, which are great. You don't have to unlace them at all to take them off and to get them on you just get your foot in and pull on the laces and tie a knot...very quick (great for when Charlie comes to bump you from your hide while sleeping). They are so comfortable...I can't wait to try them out on a weekend ex  :threat:

:salute:

zipperhead_cop said:

ConverseDesertBoot.jpg

Looks decent and the price is right.  I would just be concerned that they were not tough enough to last over in A'stan. 

my only question is why are they selling them so cheap? I know I would love to have a pair of their tactial boots...infact I'd love what GSG-9 wears as part of their uniform. Can you believe it? PUMAS! or was it Adidas?

zipperhead_cop said:

ConverseDesertBoot.jpg

I think they're so cheap because the company hasn't established itself in the mil boot market yet.

HitorMiss has a pair, and absolutely loves them.

hmmm well in that case :D I bette get me self a pair :D muahahaha

Sig_Des said:
HitorMiss has a pair, and absolutely loves them.

So we have established that they qualify for the all important "can you score chicks with them" factor.  ;D

I have a pair of altamas, and after 3 months of only light garrison (not worn in the field yet) wear the seams are falling apart where the upper meets the lower.  In contrast my wellco tuffcushions have been used for 2 years with no failures (including a summer where they were not rotated once, and were wet from my nasty foot sweat all summer long).  Get the Wellco's over the altamas, I will never buy altamas again.

I love my gum rubbers ;D

But actually, I've never had a problem with the combat boots that are issued. I find them comfortable and keep me warm when its cold (well keeps my feet warm anyways).

After I got my lowa seeker PT's, I dont do Jungle boots anymore ;D

Back