• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Am I too old, unfit or uncertain?

Juliandam26 said:
Hi there,

I am planning on joining the Primary Reserve. My inclination was for Intelligence Officer but it seems that trade has specific academic requirements (degrees) that are not mine; so now I'm thinking on Armour Officer. I have heard many people saying that arms trades are more physically demanding, which makes sense. If everything goes right, I would be starting BMQ when I am 41-42 years old. And then after BMQ, I know I would have to go through the common army phase. I would like the opinion of some of you guys to see if at my age, trying to go through arms trade is a doable thing or a far fetch. I am aware that everything depends of the level of fitness of every individual, but I am just looking for any tip, advice or comment.

I would really appreciate any type of information in that regard. Thank you very much.

Hi,

You said it best yourself "I am aware that everything depends of the level of fitness of every individual".
With that said I went through Basic with a gentleman who was in his 50's and did better than most of the 20 year olds.  I have been in 20+ years and work alongside many individuals in their 40's and 50's who are probably more fit than I am.  Is a combat trade physically demanding?  Yes! But it's doable if you're fit and want to do it.

I am currently 32, I did BMQ back in 2009, went on to Meaford and released before battle school due to family issues back home.

I've been a striving athlete ever since I released (to say I'm physically fit enough for infantry would be an understatement) but there's always been something missing through my journey as an athlete ...

I had always regret releasing, and have felt the fear of missing out when I see old BMQ mates getting deployed. Especially now during the covid-19 lockdown, analyzing my life, past and future, I feel that strong call, calling me back to the forces.

Anyone here join infantry in your 30s? Any advice for or against my potential re-enlisting at my age, especially for infantry?

I am currently married, but no kids (but the wife is dying to have kids)

Mosher said:
Anyone here join infantry in your 30s? Any advice for or against my potential re-enlisting at my age, especially for infantry?

This may help,

Am I too old, unfit or uncertain? 
https://navy.ca/forums/threads/131088.50.html

Also, other age-related discussions on the site about the CAF, and the Combat Arms and Infantry specifically.

Mosher said:
I am currently 32, I did BMQ back in 2009, went on to Meaford and released before battle school due to family issues back home.

I've been a striving athlete ever since I released (to say I'm physically fit enough for infantry would be an understatement) but there's always been something missing through my journey as an athlete ...

I had always regret releasing, and have felt the fear of missing out when I see old BMQ mates getting deployed. Especially now during the covid-19 lockdown, analyzing my life, past and future, I feel that strong call, calling me back to the forces.

I am currently married, but no kids (but the wife is dying to have kids)

Are you considering the Regular Force or the Reserves?

Brihard said:
Are you considering the Regular Force or the Reserves?

I am open to both, but am primarily looking at reg force

Joining Reserve, there shouldn’t be problem. From what I see, guys in reserve unit are always coming and leaving, there should be enough spots. When I was enrolled, I saw people in their 30s joined as infantry. Of course, majority recruits were around 20 years old, but older guys were not handful either. Just back then the war in Afghanistan was intensive, they needed many infantries. Now, do they need so many?

Mosher said:
I am open to both, but am primarily looking at reg force

Infantry is the best job in the world, seriously, and if you're fit you shouldn't have any issues.

However, your biggest issue might be separation from your next of kin. This isn't much of an issue for 20 year olds but can be a deal breaker for married folks with kids. Or who want to have kids.

You will definitely experience more separation in the Reg F, but the money and employment/deployment opportunities are much better than the reserves. However reserve deployment opportunities, especially on operations like the Covid response, are excellent.

Good luck with your decision!

daftandbarmy said:
Infantry is the best job in the world, seriously, and if you're fit you shouldn't have any issues.

However, your biggest issue might be separation from your next of kin. This isn't much of an issue for 20 year olds but can be a deal breaker for married folks with kids. Or who want to have kids.

You will definitely experience more separation in the Reg F, but the money and employment/deployment opportunities are much better than the reserves. However reserve deployment opportunities, especially on operations like the Covid response, are excellent.

Good luck with your decision!

There's room for discussion as to whether it's best.

If you're looking to balance quality of life (spending time with your family) vs an interesting work environment, you may want to consider a different trade.

Since you're looking at the reserves as well, consider support trades, specifically supply tech, HRA, and FSA. There's a chronic shortage of qualified pers to fill full-time positions, and there are positions available for junior pers across the country.

You can and do go to the field on exercise, and it's possible to go overseas on deployments. On the other hand, between a lower operational tempo and having control of your career, you can adjust so that you meet your family's needs.

Deploying to the field as a MCpl acting as RQ, coordinating the logistics for a hundred guys on the fly to run a range while still getting some time as part of the training audience can be a fun challenge.

Joining the infantry now and at your age just seems like a recipe for disappointment. Sure there are opportunities for cool courses if you do well, but at the end of the day, it's still just training. Combine that with dealing with the sort of nonsense guys in garrison get put through just to stay busy, you're gonna have a disappointing time.

Mosher, I may very well have been your platoon WO when you released. Send me a PM. I can give you my experiences on what your up, grounded in reality

I recently submitted an application to join the Primary Army Reserves as an Infantryman. I am 46 years old, in good physical shape. My questions are: am I crazy to do this at my age? Will the physical training be too much for a person my age? What standards should I be gaging my fitness level against? Any insights greatly appreciated.

Truenorth101 said:
I recently submitted an application to join the Primary Army Reserves as an Infantryman. I am 46 years old, in good physical shape. My questions are: am I crazy to do this at my age? Will the physical training be too much for a person my age? What standards should I be gaging my fitness level against? Any insights greatly appreciated.

I joined at 36 and im still in the army at 41 . If you're in good shape you will do fine. You just gonna need more rest time than the younger one but, even can make better time than them on the FORCES TEST haha . If in you're head you think you can do it , then you're going to do it. All is in the head. Just need the proper mind set.

Truenorth101 said:
What standards should I be gaging my fitness level against?

FORCE Evaluation Test: https://www.cafconnection.ca/National/Programs-Services/For-Military-Personnel/Military-Fitness/FORCE-Program/FORCE-Evaluation.aspx

Unlike the old fitness test, everyone has the same maximum amount of time that they can take to do a certain task.  If you're hoping to get a fitness award (https://www.cafconnection.ca/National/Programs-Services/For-Military-Personnel/Military-Fitness/FORCE-Program/FORCE-Rewards-Program.aspx) that is where you are compared with other individuals in your gender/age range. 

Truenorth101 said:

If you're crazy then I am crazy a decade later.  I joined the PRes at 47 years, in good physical shape.  I am still in seven years on.  Stay in shape, watch your knees and ankles, and hydrate.

I've done it as well, and you are not crazy. It's absolutely true that the CAF does not discriminate based on age. If you are committed and you are working out hard you will make it through. The opportunity is there for those that really want it.

Back