• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

American Beer vs Canadian Beer

kratz

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Reference: CBC.ca

I'm not making light of the struggles people from Fort McMurry are going through, but this article does bring up some wry humour.

Canadians have always considered American beer as watered down, how will we survive this turn of events?  [:D

**Note: Image from CBC.ca article.

Attachments

• labatt-water.jpg
    labatt-water.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 205
I think the difference is that we've actually identified this substance as water.

If you talk about the macro breweries, such as Coors, Budweiser, etc, then yes, the stuff is absolutely brutal and boring beer, but the Americans have made great strides in the craft beer microbrewery business and some of whats available out there is absolutely amazing tasting beer!

As someone who runs a beer blog where I rate beers from literally all over the world, I have been very pleasantly surprised as of late on the quality of some of the smaller breweries down south.  Many are taking the traditional brewing methods and thinking outside the box, often times creating some award winning beers!

just me... said:
If you talk about the macro breweries, such as Coors, Budweiser, etc, then yes, the stuff is absolutely brutal and boring beer, but the Americans have made great strides in the craft beer microbrewery business and some of whats available out there is absolutely amazing tasting beer!

I have to agree.  One of my friends lives in Oregon now and whenever I drive down to see family in SF/LA, I make it a point to stop by there.  Some of the microbrews there are awesome.

just me... said:

As someone who runs a beer blog where I rate beers from literally all over the world, I have been very pleasantly surprised as of late on the quality of some of the smaller breweries down south.  Many are taking the traditional brewing methods and thinking outside the box, often times creating some award winning beers!

Yeah, I totally agree.

just me... said:

I'm on a huge microbrew kick, so many better options for great beer.
You should post a link to your beer blog, I'd like to read it.

I'd give you blog a read, I do miss the craft beer selection was available to me in Ontario. It's fun to mix and match 6 packs and always try something new.

Brew your own.  It's remarkably simple to do, and a lot of fun to experiment with different grain bills, hops types, hops addition timings, yeast types, temperatures...

Arty39 said:
I'd give you blog a read, I do miss the craft beer selection was available to me in Ontario. It's fun to mix and match 6 packs and always try something new.

That's all I've been doing lately, go into the beer store and try out whatever was local.

I was spoiled a bit in Pet, Square timber had just opened, Whitewater Brew was nice and close and full access to the Micro brews in Ottawa.

The Craft Beer festivals are fun to go to as well!

Let's remember that the alcohol percentage is the same in both US and Canadian beer. The problem only exists for people that drink for taste.

If you're of the type that drinks for effect, it changes nothing ;D I like the idea that I can buy 30 cans for $15.00 and can get $3.00 back for deposit. :nod:

sidemount said:
That's all I've been doing lately, go into the beer store and try out whatever was local.

I was spoiled a bit in Pet, Square timber had just opened, Whitewater Brew was nice and close and full access to the Micro brews in Ottawa.

The Craft Beer festivals are fun to go to as well!
I was closer to Toronto but Ontario really prides itself on craft brewers.

Journeyman said:
"I'll take 'Expressions Seldom Heard' for $100, Alex."  ;D
Haha aint that the truth....

Ill say that its "for beer only"

Everything else....well we all know :)

Kingston has been a much nicer posting

For those asking, here's a link to my blog.  I try and keep up as much as possible, but time and work restrictions end up getting the better of me.

https://canadianbeerblogger.com

I have a group I've started on the Facebook thing if your interested as well, just pm me your handle on FB and i'll send you an invite.

My interest in craft beer and micro's runs deep.  Not only do I enjoy a good beer (and hell, who doesn't!), but I'm seriously interested in opening either a micro or a brewpub in the near future.  My release is in just over a year, so I've been doing a ton of researching, working on a business plan and talking with a LOT of people within the industry.

recceguy said:
Let's remember that the alcohol percentage is the same in both US and Canadian beer. The problem only exists for people that drink for taste.

If you're of the type that drinks for effect, it changes nothing ;D I like the idea that I can buy 30 cans for $15.00 and can get $3.00 back for deposit. :nod:

As I recall, back in the glory days (70-80's) Canadian beer was 1% more than US beer and then there was Brasdor beer at around 6.5%

I'm kind of interested in Keith's announcement that they've opened up the old brewery with the intent of producing some old recipe stuff. It will definitely be worth a try, no matter how much the hipsters turn their noses up at it. Because a lot of these older brewhouses have ancient recipes in their vaults that they no longer use due to automation, sourcing of supplies, etc. This will be a throwback, of sorts. I don't expect completely "craft" beer, but it's a nice step.

Moreover, at least here in the Maritimes, it's been proven that craft can take off. Enough that a major is getting into the business of craft brewing.

I still drink Old Style Pilsner every now and then, or an Alpine, with no regrets or apologies. But more and more I like stuff with an actual expiry date on it and where I can see the hops growing from the parking lot.

As someone helping to organize a festival, I like talking beer and that means talking about what the big boys are doing as well. If Keith's continues its current marketing scheme for the new grog I'll remain happy. If they try to follow Shock Top's act I might not be so much.

Cheers

Scott said:
I'm kind of interested in Keith's announcement that they've opened up the old brewery with the intent of producing some old recipe stuff. It will definitely be worth a try, no matter how much the hipsters turn their noses up at it. Because a lot of these older brewhouses have ancient recipes in their vaults that they no longer use due to automation, sourcing of supplies, etc. This will be a throwback, of sorts. I don't expect completely "craft" beer, but it's a nice step.

Moreover, at least here in the Maritimes, it's been proven that craft can take off. Enough that a major is getting into the business of craft brewing.

I still drink Old Style Pilsner every now and then, or an Alpine, with no regrets or apologies. But more and more I like stuff with an actual expiry date on it and where I can see the hops growing from the parking lot.

As someone helping to organize a festival, I like talking beer and that means talking about what the big boys are doing as well. If Keith's continues its current marketing scheme for the new grog I'll remain happy. If they try to follow Shock Top's act I might not be so much.

Cheers

You should be an expert in wheat beers, at least.  [:p

So Guinness is offering a "Blonde" to the Americans, who still as a nation have not learned to drink real beer.  [:'(

Back