• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ammunition Technician

JorgSlice

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
I've searched endlessly for more information on the details of the life of an Ammo Tech and I'm either getting very tired and everything is blurring together, or there just isn't a lot of information on the trade.

I have my interview at 1030 HRS for Ammunition Technician at CFRC Vancouver and I was just wondering if maybe there is some updated (or more) information that can be shared by the wise members of Army.ca? I would appreciate it greatly.

I've seen mixed views on the job: "It's boring you'd better off going into another trade", "avoid at all costs" to "I love it! It's dynamic and experiences are incredible." But with not a whole lot of explanation to go with it.

I've also subbed in Traffic Tech as my #2 as it looks quite interesting as well, but I am really hoping for Ammo Tech, the only problem is a lack of information. Forces.ca has the video and fact sheet that doesn't go into great detail and only states as much as "shipping, repair, Whse'ing" etc.

• Facilities or bases that an Ammo Tech is usually posted to or can be posted to
  • Job duties including standard daily duties, and duties of opportunity (Exercises, Deploymets)
  • Tasking opportunities

First off, welcome to Army.ca

JorgSlice said:
I've searched endlessly for more information on the details of the life of an Ammo Tech and I'm either getting very tired and everything is blurring together, or there just isn't a lot of information on the trade.
Might that have something to do with searching 4-6 hours before your interview?

JorgSlice said:
I have my interview at 1030 HRS for Ammunition Technician at CFRC Vancouver and I was just wondering if maybe there is some updated (or more) information that can be shared by the wise members of Army.ca? I would appreciate it greatly ....
LOADS o' info right here - enjoy, and good luck.

milnews.ca said:
First off, welcome to Army.ca
Might that have something to do with searching 4-6 hours before your interview?
LOADS o' info right here - enjoy, and good luck.

No, I just got home from a 16hr shift. I had previously searched for more info over the last 3 months but to no avail. I've read all the info on Ammo Tech that army.ca has to offer and the forces.ca site. That is why I said it is limited. I was hoping more might have developed since the last Ammo Tech thread died in 2010 (with, once again, very limited info).

All those threads that show up on google - I've read and I'm still not very fulfilled with the lack of information. It leaves many questions to be asked... "What happens when there are on deployments requiring ammo? What happens in months where there very few exercises?" etc.

Don't jump the gun to think I read one thread and gave up.

And when you took on your present job did they tell all the possible contingencies et al about what might happen, could happen in such and such situations.....no, you applied for the position and adapted as the job and time moved on.

Why worry about such mundane stuff yet when you have not even made it to first base....getting in.

GAP said:
Why worry about such mundane stuff yet when you have not even made it to first base....getting in.

Because it's for the interview.  Geez, don't you read?  ;)

PMedMoe said:
Because it's for the interview.  Geez, don't you read?  ;)

Well, the name kinda says it all, don't it.....Ammunition Technician.....hell, even I know that if a round fails to fire I'm gonna get me an Ammunition Technician over to fix it or sumptin'......so he'd better be on the ball!!!  ;D

What is wrong with knowing? Some people would like to know beforehand that signing up for trade XYZ will leave you miserable and wishing you had gone elsewhere. Even I know that I won't get to make things go boom on day 1 of QL3(A) and every day from that point on. I am simply curious.

GAP said:
And when you took on your present job did they tell all the possible contingencies et al about what might happen, could happen in such and such situations.....no, you applied for the position and adapted as the job and time moved on.

The only thing my current employer did not mention prior to hiring is that I only get 2 paid sick days per year (which I only found out after being ill with the flu for 8 days with doctor recommendation).

Opinions will vary with individual people, so keep that in mind.

And the closer to the event that you ask for information, the less likely that you are to receive it. I do not know how many Ammo Techs there are on this site, but perhaps none of them have peeked in since you initially posted.

Lastly, while you hope to someday wear the Cap Badge that you have selected as your avatar - a worthy goal - you have not yet earned it. Hopefully, through determination and effort, you will and can display it with pride then. Good luck.

The trade video on the Forces.ca really covers most of it, especially the interviews with MCpl (then) Farrell and Cpl (then) Gravelle.

IED positions right now very limited so don't join thinking you'll do that.

Please don't join if you care where you will get posted.

AmmoTech90 said:
The trade video on the Forces.ca really covers most of it, especially the interviews with MCpl (then) Farrell and Cpl (then) Gravelle.

IED positions right now very limited so don't join thinking you'll do that.

Please don't join if you care where you will get posted.

I wasn't dead-set on IEDD and don't care for where I am posted. The video mentions "ammunition facilities", does every base have warehouses and assembly/disposal facilities? Are some solely shipping and receiving?

JorgSlice said:
I wasn't dead-set on IEDD and don't care for where I am posted. The video mentions "ammunition facilities", does every base have warehouses and assembly/disposal facilities? Are some solely shipping and receiving?

You're freaking me out a little here. I can just picture you walking in to a police station and asking them to show you the gun and evidence lockups.

My husband is an Ammo Tech, and when he went through the recruitment phase all he worked with was the information the recruiting centre provided him with. We went over that sheet many times, and he obviously got through the process. No crazy details needed, as you should know now having completed your interview.

I just got an offer as well, and I found the important thing wasn't being able to recite/regurgitate what the papers said, but understand the information they have given you and explain how my past experience has provided me with skills that will serve the CF's needs. Not my needs, the CF's.

The army will train you, and tell you what you need to know, if you get in. If you are willing to be posted anywhere, you can find out easily enough on the internet where the CF bases are in Canada. Hubby enjoys the trade, and the people in it. But, like anything else, it is what you make of it and the attitude you bring to the table makes a huge difference.

Good luck with everything!

JPye said:
You're freaking me out a little here. I can just picture you walking in to a police station and asking them to show you the gun and evidence lockups.

My husband is an Ammo Tech, and when he went through the recruitment phase all he worked with was the information the recruiting centre provided him with. We went over that sheet many times, and he obviously got through the process. No crazy details needed, as you should know now having completed your interview.

I just got an offer as well, and I found the important thing wasn't being able to recite/regurgitate what the papers said, but understand the information they have given you and explain how my past experience has provided me with skills that will serve the CF's needs. Not my needs, the CF's.

The army will train you, and tell you what you need to know, if you get in. If you are willing to be posted anywhere, you can find out easily enough on the internet where the CF bases are in Canada. Hubby enjoys the trade, and the people in it. But, like anything else, it is what you make of it and the attitude you bring to the table makes a huge difference.

Good luck with everything!

The information is simply for myself. My interview is done and over already. I just thought that someone might have a little info to satisfy my curiosity.

JorgSlice said:

Not every base has an Ammunition Facility.  Those that do, have between 1 and 20+ ATs posted there.  If a base can ship and recieve ammo, you also need somewhere to store it, so all three of those go together.  The warehouse size and capacity varies though from base to base.  That capacity and through-put is generally what determines if it is a Facility and if an AT or ATs are posted there.  A base that gets in 10,000 5.56mm per year for personal weapon qualifications will not have an AT, but they will get a visit from one around once a year.

Maintenance and inspections take place at all Facilities, the type of maintenence depends of the capability and capacity of the Facility.  There is too much variety to describe, and the work goes in (sometimes very long) cycles.  For example you may get posted somewhere that does maintenance on guided weapons amongst other things.  If that maintenance is not required in the two years you are posted there you will not do that job.

Disposal happens in various ways: sale, mutilation, burning, and detonation are the four most common, so yes every facility has at least one means of disposal.

JorgSlice: You are not yet a member of the Logisitics Branch. Please do not use the Branch badge as an avatar until you have earned it.

I fell asleep part way into reading the replies from JPye and AmmoTech90 and would just like to thank everyone and to also say that I now realize that these questions are OPSEC heavy; but nonetheless appreciate what has been given. In the end, I just have to work with what I have until I experience it for myself.

JorgSlice said:
I fell asleep part way into reading the replies from JPye and AmmoTech90 and would just like to thank everyone and to also say that I now realize that these questions are OPSEC heavy; but nonetheless appreciate what has been given. In the end, I just have to work with what I have until I experience it for myself.

Glad we provided such stimulating reading material....  :p

Yes - a curious way of saying "Thank-you for your time and effort", but I'm sure that that's what he meant.

Loachman said:
Yes - a curious way of saying "Thank-you for your time and effort", but I'm sure that that's what he meant.

A sincere, thank you for your time and effort! It was a long day at work, nothing to do with the reading material  ;)

JorgSlice said:

Trust me, when you get to the CFSAL ETC, you will have MORE than enough information on all the above questions. Be patient.

I had the chance to meet and speak to (then) MCpl (Now Sgt) Farrell at Borden. Very funny guy.

InvaderGrimm said:
Trust me, when you get to the CFSAL ETC, you will have MORE than enough information on all the above questions. Be patient.

I had the chance to meet and speak to (then) MCpl (Now Sgt) Farrell at Borden. Very funny guy.

Fair enough, thank you  :)

Back