• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

And now I wait.

Lunacy_Fringe

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm a 26 year old who's hummed and hawed about the military ever since I was a young one. I did 7 years as an air cadet, and commanded my squadron the last two. Pretty much the thing that's stopped me from applying the last 8 years has been the relationship I was in. She was absolutely against me going away. Because of her, I went to community college and earned a diploma in a medical trade as a laboratory technologist, but this was never what I wanted to do. Fast-forward until August, now no longer being with her, I submitted my application for Infantry and Medical Technician (I had done first responder work on an ambulance and wanted to make something of myself). My time as a cadet issued me a service number, and a previous application (which I had to close) had issued me a second one, so it was no surprise that it took until November to get an appointment for my CFAT. Two service numbers to one name can definitely be a hassle, and I'm all for hassle-free anything for anyone.

I wrote my CFAT last week, and received good news relating to my results as well as my approval for further processing. Now, I'm patiently awaiting an interview and medical from my local recruiting centre. It's taken a long time, but I'm on my way, and thoroughly excited.

I know I won't be the oldest recruit should I be offered a position, but I can't help but think that with so many younger applicants, I won't fit in well. I'm in good shape (gym 5 days a week, cardio 3), and from what I can tell, a pleasant person to talk to. I suppose my main concern is that being in my late twenties, I'll be looked at as someone who lost his way, only to finally get his act together later than most. Anyway, I digress.

This is something I'm both deathly nervous and incredibly excited for. I've always thrived in an environment where my limits are pushed, so I hope that the rest of the process goes well. I know I face an uphill climb, as there are countless other applications out there, but hopefully my life experience can see me through some more tougher milestones. So far, I've been lucky with how quickly things have moved, but I'm well aware of the possibility of a long wait. In my mind, waiting is an integral part of the process.

These forums have been a wonderful guide to the many questions I've had. Someday, I hope to be able to provide the same level of support to hopeful recruits as I've found myself. But until that time, I'll sit back and pleasantly play the waiting game that is the recruiting process.

ThatOneRecruit said:
I know I won't be the oldest recruit should I be offered a position, but I can't help but think that with so many younger applicants, I won't fit in well.

This may help,

Am I too old to join/do well/fit in? (Merged thread)
http://army.ca/forums/threads/87496.0

If I were you I wouldn't worry about my age so much. I'm 23 and applying for pilot.. most of the pilot candidates I've met are at least a few years older than me but I'm mature for my age so I fit in just fine. I'm sure it goes the other way too!

I actually did my BMQ 2 years ago ... I was 25 going on 26 and I was older than most of my staff ( this was reserve but it tells you how weird I felt ) ...

The only one older than me was the Warrant in charge of the course ... but age wont matter , and trust me , you are not that old , I've seen people join at 35-40 .... so don't worry about it one bit , just do what you are told , get it done and enjoy a new life !!!

I am 34 and also in the process. Now waiting for the broken healthcare system here in Quebec to see my doctor... everything else is done except this and I have been waiting for 90 days, this sucks.

Back