• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

And the Lights went out all over the World....................

Well my story is as follows:

I forgot.  I am in route to Winnipeg and BAC 0801.  I had to pee and top up the biological caffeine balance.  I stopped at Timmies in Hearst ON (Hwy 11 Northern ON)  When I got out of the truck I noticed it was just after 1955.  (again forgot about the big hour)  Into the bathroom I go, unzip and start doing my download when poof it was dark.  In under 30 secs the emergency light turned on and no worries. 

Other than that, in the truck was my GPS, portable HD, Laptop and seat massager all plugged into the 12 V system.  So in a way, I guess I did my part.  Not on the grid at all.

Stopping in Thunder Bay for a couple days to see my Mommy then to Wpg.  Good times.

Billy.

(Hi-jack begins) - I spent eight years driving from Pet to home (Thunder Bay) and back again.  I often took the northern (Hwy 11) route because it was shorter, flatter, had fewer tourists,, better weather and had more semis to keep the ice off the roads.  The stretch between Hearst and Lonlac, however, was a bad place to breakdown in the winter. (Hi-jack ends).

the 48th regulator said:
So let me get this right,
The army tells you to do it it in a hole at night, in the pouring rain.  That's for the Country.

We as a global community ask for an hour of your time to do it and it is a waste?
I will retire to bedlham and paint some more rocks white.....
dileas
tess
The two have nothing to do with one another.  (Digging holes in the rain and taking part in a Global day of "awareness").
I just found the hypocracy (sp?) of the "earth hour" thing a bit unnerving.  Yes, Nelly Furtado did an acoustic set at Nathan Phillips square; however, did you notice the lights set up so that they could turn them out?  That Nelly's voice was heard through speakers?  That there was a huge TV set up for her?
Don't get me wrong, we could certainly make do with less.  I think it would be a good thing to do.  Why not do it every night?  For an hour?  I have heard so many stories on the news about people spending time with one another, candle light dinners, talking, reading and so forth (I imagine some romantic interludes here and there, we'll see in 9 months I suppose!) ;D
I probably came out the wrong way due to my ever present cynicism, and for that I apologise.  Having said that, let's make this a normal event: one hour a night, turn out all the lights.  The rest of the time, make do with less: turn off the TV when not in use.  Turn out more lights.  If not to save on CO2 emissions (or whatever), but think of it this way: you'll spend less.

- Lets stop thinking that a program designed to help people living in 6,000 sq/ft homes can feel good about turning out a few lights for an hour.  How much electricity does it take to light a 6,000 sq/ft home?  Who the heck needs 6,000 sq/ft?  So, a welfare single mom in assisted housing turns off her light.  She probably could teach the rest of us how to count pennies anyway.

- This is NOT a rant against the rich.  It is a rant against how we build houses.

Has anyone thought of the ramifications of this "earth hour?"
Clearly it is an alien sabatoge attempt. Just think, all the power's off. Earths defenses sit silent as nothing powers them then...

BAM

Independence Day on Steroids!

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
The two have nothing to do with one another.  (Digging holes in the rain and taking part in a Global day of "awareness").
I just found the hypocracy (sp?) of the "earth hour" thing a bit unnerving.  Yes, Nelly Furtado did an acoustic set at Nathan Phillips square; however, did you notice the lights set up so that they could turn them out?  That Nelly's voice was heard through speakers?  That there was a huge TV set up for her?
Don't get me wrong, we could certainly make do with less.  I think it would be a good thing to do.  Why not do it every night?  For an hour?  I have heard so many stories on the news about people spending time with one another, candle light dinners, talking, reading and so forth (I imagine some romantic interludes here and there, we'll see in 9 months I suppose!) ;D
I probably came out the wrong way due to my ever present cynicism, and for that I apologise.  Having said that, let's make this a normal event: one hour a night, turn out all the lights.  The rest of the time, make do with less: turn off the TV when not in use.  Turn out more lights.  If not to save on CO2 emissions (or whatever), but think of it this way: you'll spend less.

Well by your last paragraph, Earth Hour has acheived it's goal.

Awareness of a need to do it for more than just the token hour.....

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
So let me get this right,

The army tells you to do it it in a hole at night, in the pouring rain.  That's for the Country.

We as a global community ask for an hour of your time to do it and it is a waste?

I will retire to bedlham and paint some more rocks white.....

dileas

tess
We didn't swear and oath to the "global community" to follow along like sheep and buy into their hysteria.

Celticgirl said:
::)

It was an act of global solidarity; a token gesture to show that we all 'get it', that we know we need to do more to help our planet before we become extinct. Too bad you did not feel it was worth your effort to join in.

We turned out our lights for Earth hour. Yeah, that was the reason.  ;)
Get what exactly?  I'm all about conservation from a purely economical and effecientcy stand point, but the whole idea behind earth hour is a farce.

DirtyDog said:
We didn't swear and oath to the "global community" to follow along like sheep and buy into their hysteria.

Sorry maybe I should have added the smiley to exagerate my sarcasm.

Thanks for your input though, glad to see free thinkers like yourself have set an example, by leading the thread into a new direction....

dileas

tess

"Ireland's more than 7,000 pubs elected not to take part—in part because of the risk that Saturday night revelers could end up smashing glasses, falling down stairs, or setting themselves on fire with candles"

http://origin.mercurynews.com/crime/ci_8738839

X-mo-1979 said:
"Ireland's more than 7,000 pubs elected not to take part—in part because of the risk that Saturday night revelers could end up smashing glasses, falling down stairs, or setting themselves on fire with candles"

http://origin.mercurynews.com/crime/ci_8738839

"... - in part because..." yup. And the OTHER part is because it's all bullshit.

the 48th regulator said:
Sorry maybe I should have added the smiley to exagerate my sarcasm.

Thanks for your input though, glad to see free thinkers like yourself have set an example, by leading the thread into a new direction....

dileas

tess
I know my thoughts are hardly orginal (infact, I could only hope more people would see it that way) but I've been listening to this earth hour crap all week and finally had to vent somewhere.

It's not like the proponents of earth hour on this site have come up with revolutionary thoughts and I figured a reply was in order....

DirtyDog said:
I know my thoughts are hardly orginal (infact, I could only hope more people would see it that way) but I've been listening to this earth hour crap all week and finally had to vent somewhere.

It's not like the proponents of earth hour on this site have come up with revolutionary thoughts and I figured a reply was in order....

Oh I hear ya brother,

We used it as an opportunity to coral the kids and let them have some fun (They are only 5 and 2).

I had my beer stein, so I was happy.  If they had said let's go dry for an hour on behalf of Earth, that's where the gauntlet would be thrown.

Long Live Mars.

dileas

tess

DirtyDog said:
Get what exactly?  I'm all about conservation from a purely economical and effecientcy stand point, ...

You seem to have answered your own question. Earth Hour is just a reminder of what we already know. Moreover, whom did it hurt?

As an aside, I heard on the radio yesterday that Canada led the world in Earth Hour participation.  :cdn:

The Telegram Article Link

Last updated at 8:40 AM on 01/04/08 

Province not switched on to Earth Hour
environment Utility says no noticeable change in power consumption
DAVE BARTLETT
The Telegram

Newfoundland Power says it didn't notice any change in power consumption between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. Saturday night. That's when people were asked to turn off their lights to promote Earth Hour, a global movement to make people aware of energy conservation.

The utility compared the demand on its system to the last three Saturdays during the same time period and saw no difference.

Earth Hour started in Sydney, Australia last year, where millions of people turned off their lights and even held parties by candlelight.

Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro says it saw a change, but can't say how much may have been related to people taking part in Earth Hour.

However, the company has done some interesting math on the potential impact the annual event could have in years to come.

If everyone on the island turned off all their lights for one hour, Hydro estimates it would burn 150 fewer barrels of oil at the Holyrood Generating Station.

The City of St. John's tried to promote the event at last week's council meeting and promised to turn off the lights in city buildings except where safety was a concern. Coun. Shannie Duff introduced the resolution and asked people in the city to participate.

In Corner Brook, Edwin Bezzina promoted the event. He chairs the Church in the World Committee, of the First United Church in that city.

Bezzina told parishioners of the church about the event during services in the two weeks leading up to Saturday. He also advertised and promoted the event on local radio and in The Western Star.

He even encouraged the business community in Corner Brook to take part to varying degrees of success.

Some shops turned off their outdoor signs for the hour if they couldn't turn off the lights inside.

Other businesses referred Bezzina to their head offices on the mainland.

Bezzina says the three shopping malls in the city were also supportive of the idea as was Sir Wilfred Grenfell college which helped pay for advertising to promote the event.

Some students turned off their residence room lights, but he says there were some safety concerns because of social events. He says he didn't want people who may have had too much to drink to hurt themselves.

He says the overall participation rate was hard to gauge, but he did take a walk around his neighbourhood during that time Saturday night.

"I didn't peer into peoples windows," he says. "But I did see a good number of houses where they had obviously dimmed or turned out most of the lights and lit a few candles."

Bezzina says it was a good first attempt.

Many cities officially took part in Earth Hour.

Reports say the City of Toronto exceeded its goal of reducing power consumption by five per cent. Many buildings in the downtown core- including the CN Tower and Air Canada Centre - cut the juice to the outside lights.

The overall reduction in power consumption was reduced between eight and nine per cent for Earth Hour.

dbartlett@thetelegram.com

Celticgirl said:
... As an aside, I heard on the radio yesterday that Canada led the world in Earth Hour participation.  :cdn:

... like the saps we are.

::)

All it takes is a celeberity to say "ban turnip" and most Canadian dope smoking hippies would be on the band wagon.

...And if you have bristol board signs....turnip is the next evil.

Back