• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Annual Army Run (merged)

Shamrock said:
I've rolled this past Mike, who told me to give it exposure here on the open forum.

What I propose:
An Army.ca running team towing an SMP vehicle to draw awareness and donations for cancer.  The team will draw pledges from individuals and sponsorship from corporations which will in turn be donated to cancer.  Corporate sponsorship can go on the team t-shirt or be displayed on the truck.

What will we need:
1.  A vehicle.  Perhaps we could borrow one from a private owner, perhaps one from a regiment.  I nominate a Leopard.

2.  A trace and harness.  Here's where all those gear designers come in.  While the trace itself could be expensive, it could be written off as a charitible donation/sponsorship.

3.  Runners.

4.  Pledges, sponsors, and support.
Hm, that sounds like a good idea. Hope I can actually get up that way for this.

Okay, so I finally have the time to invest in the pursuit of this, but before I do so, I want to confirm interest is still here.  Like hell am I going to tow an Iltis (even if it is stuffed with pillows) by myself.

Any advice on where to get the harnesses, truck, etc. are also appreciated.

Shamrock said:
Like hell am I going to tow an Iltis (even if it is stuffed with pillows) by myself.

Ok. That will look like a +1 post, but ...

:pushup:

:rofl:

Well, if I could skip off school, then maybe I would try the Iltis, and the whole run in general ;)

Baker

Yrys said:
Ok. That will look like a +1 post, but ...

:pushup:

:rofl:

Actually that looks more like a volunteer's hand being raised.

Sigh... Woulda if I coulda.... Still recovering from 2nd operation to reattach the two halves (top & bottom) of my right Quad....

geo said:
Sigh... Woulda if I coulda.... Still recovering from 2nd operation to reattach the two halves (top & bottom) of my right Quad....

Ah common - tape it up. You'll be fine.  ;)

Amigo, I would love to be in a position to simply apply tape to the injury in order to cure it......

I tore it in November... it was fixed in November ....I tore it again in late January....fixed in early February...
I got the brace off last week & am pushing as hard as I can push - but have absolutely no intention of doing that again..... Yowze!!!

geo said:
but have absolutely no intention of doing that again..... Yowze!!!
I guess not! When I read:
Still recovering from 2nd operation to reattach the two halves (top & bottom) of my right Quad....
I cringed.  I hurt myself bad two years ago but nothing like that. Good luck with the recovery!

Before we think of a vehicle, shouldn't we see if the route is on road orif it is on the trails around the Rideau?

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Before we think of a vehicle, shouldn't we see if the route is on road orif it is on the trails around the Rideau?

Flat road or rocky trail... these keen knees won't be running any mini/maxi marathons in 2008.... we can try again in 2009 though :)  :salute:

I'd love to do it, though I might be in basic this summer and registration is probably limited eh?

It's about time the CF made our own official race! (The US have had theirs for years).
I'm absolutely interested in the team, depending of course on my deployment date which may provide a barrier.
For those of you interested, keep an eye on the website under the heading "Boot Camp" which appears that it will post a training program at the end of May.

I'm extremely happy the CF has came up with the army run.Being an avid runner (getting fat laying around waiting for a broken fibula to heal up) I'm glad the military has something for us runner's who are not on the CISM level of running to compete at a national level.
Has either CANFORGEN come out on this yet?I would think the military would be sponsoring teams from across Canada as well.

I wish I was around to do the 1/2,however I will be "out of country" during that time.

edit to add: why do they have two airforce members on the first page of the "army run" webpage? ;D

X-mo-1979 said:
I'm extremely happy the CF has came up with the army run.Being an avid runner (getting fat laying around waiting for a broken fibula to heal up) I'm glad the military has something for us runner's who are not on the CISM level of running to compete at a national level.
Has either CANFORGEN come out on this yet?I would think the military would be sponsoring teams from across Canada as well.

I wish I was around to do the 1/2,however I will be "out of country" during that time.

edit to add: why do they have two airforce members on the first page of the "army run" webpage? ;D

CANFORGEN Below:

CANFORGEN 123/08 CLS 016/08 081825Z JUL 08
LAUNCH OF THE FIRST ANNUAL CANADA ARMY RUN 21 SEP 08
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: DMCS 50041 11 FEB 08

BACKGROUND. THE LAUNCH OF THE FIRST ANNUAL CANADA ARMY RUN SUPPORTED BY THE CANADIAN FORCES PERSONNEL AND FAMILY SUPPORT SERVICES (CFPFSS) WAS ENDORSED BY THE CDS ON 11 FEB 08. THE ARMY RUN REINFORCES THE IMPORTANCE OF FITNESS AND SERVES TO CONNECT WITH CANADIANS FURTHER PROMOTING THE POSITIVE PUBLIC RECOGNITION OF THE OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE AND PROFESSIONALISM OF OUR SOLDIERS HERE AT HOME, IN AFGHANISTAN AND IN MANY OTHER OPERATIONAL THEATRES AROUND THE WORLD

INTENT. THE ARMY RUN WILL PROVIDE A VENUE FOR CANADIAN TROOPS TO MAINTAIN AND REINFORCE OUR CONNECTION WITH ALL CANADIANS THROUGH A CHALLENGING EVENT THAT EMBODIES ONE OF THE CRITICAL CHARACTERISTICS OF OUR CULTURE - FITNESS. THE ARMY QUOTE BRAND UNQUOTE WILL SERVE TO ATTRACT A BROAD SPECTRUM OF MILITARY AND CIVILIAN PARTICIPATION TO AN EVENT THAT HIGHLIGHTS OPERATIONAL SUCCESS AT HOME AND ABROAD. THIS IS A RESULT OF A PAN FORCES WHOLE OF GOVERNMENT AND NATION EFFORT. THE INAUGURAL EVENT SCHEDULED ON SUNDAY 21 SEP 08 IN OTTAWA WILL INCLUDE A 5 KM AND A HALF MARATHON DISTANCES

REGISTRATIONS. REGISTRATIONS ARE NOW ACCEPTED ON LINE AT WWW.ARMYRUN.CA. RUNNERS OR WALKERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO REGISTER AT THE EARLIEST OPPORTUNITY AS FEES WILL INCREASE AS THE DATE OF THE EVENT APPROACHES. FINAL REGISTRATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AT THE ARMY RUN EXPO AT THE CARTIER SQUARE DRILL HALL FROM 0900 TO 1700 HRS 20 SEPTEMBER

RESOURCES. RECOGNIZING THAT THE TEMPO AND ACTIVITY LEVELS OF THE ARMY ARE CURRENTLY VERY HIGH, THE DEVELOPMENT AND MANAGEMENT OF THE RUN WERE CONTRACTED OUT TO THE ORGANIZER OF THE OTTAWA MARATHON WEEKEND. IT IS MY DESIRE TO ENSURE THAT THERE IS REPRESENTATION FROM THE REG, RES, RANGERS AND CIVILIAN COMPONENTS FROM OUR ARMY COAST TO COAST TO COAST AND THAT ALL OTHER CF MEMBERS, SAILORS, AIRMEN AND AIRWOMEN AS WELL AS DND CIVILIANS ARE ENCOURAGED TO JOIN US AT THE RUN. TD AND ALLOWANCES FOR PARTICIPATION WILL BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF AREA, BASE AND UNIT COMMANDERS WHILE REGISTRATION FEES ARE SOLELY AN INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY. THE EVENT IS A NON PUBLIC FUNDED EVENT MADE POSSIBLE BY CFPFSS.

FUNDRAISING. AT THIS EVENT,THERE WILL BE AN OPPORTUNITY FOR RUNNERS OR WALKERS TO RAISE FUNDS FOR EITHER QUOTE SOLDIER ON UNQUOTE OR THE MILITARY FAMILIES FUND. INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE ON THE WEB SITE

SPECIFIC QUESTIONS ABOUT THE ARMY RUN CAN BE DIRECTED TO THE PROJECT DIRECTOR...SEE CANFORGEN

Apparently the MND, the CDS and Hillier are running the race!

I'm signed up for the 1/2.  Really looking forward to it.

Signed up for the 1/2 a bit ago... now I just have to convince myself I can do it. ;)

In other news, I've been asked by a few people if I could get Army.ca "dry wick" performance shirts. I put in an order for them today, they should be in my hands in a week, maybe 2. Plenty of time to get them shipped out for the race. They're going for $30 + shipping and I've already added them to the "swag" page if anyone wants to pre-order. I'll have the following sizes:

• M:  5
  • L:    9
  • XL: 5
  • 2XL: 3

The colour is black, with a small embroidered Army.ca logo. I've asked for the logo to be free of the "nipple chafe" zone. For any equipment enthusiasts, (and I know you're out there) here are the specs on the shirts:

• 7.4-oz, 100% wicking polyester double mesh
  • Self fabric neck
  • Partial neck taping
  • Tagless screened label
  • Reinforced topstitching throughout
  • Side slits

And for the real keeners, sizing info: http://www.sanmarcanada.com/specsheets/S451SizeSpecs.pdf

Here's a mock-up of what the shirts will look like:

Performance-Shirt-Large.png

If anyone has any questions, fire away! Hopefully we'll see some of these hitting the road for the Army Run. :)

Back