• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anti-War Vigil at Armoury

career_radio-checker said:
On the bright side it must be easy to get a class A work as sentry there.

Nope, they only did that for a while after 9/11.  Now, the unit parading sticks two sentries at the gate for the nights training (with switch-ups every half-hour or so).  The did erect a fence along the west side of the building right along the side walk, to keep people from sleeping infront of the emergency exits.

MCG said:
"We need to be supporting our troops by bringing them home," said Maggie Panter of Homes Not Bombs, which organized the vigil.
I cannot begin to fully emphasize how misguided this statement is (and it is one which the anti-war movement seems to love).

What really stumps me is that often the people who claim to "support troops by protesting to bring them home" are the same people who demonise and abuse Servicemen by labelling troops by all sorts of names.

Obviously they read from a different dictionary when looking up the meaning of "support".

Hatchet Man said:
Nope, they only did that for a while after 9/11.  Now, the unit parading sticks two sentries at the gate for the nights training (with switch-ups every half-hour or so).  The did erect a fence along the west side of the building right along the side walk, to keep people from sleeping infront of the emergency exits.

Practise bayonet drill outside the armoury  ;)

Surely no-one wants to pass up an opportunity to nickname a building "National Defence Homeless Quarters (NDHQ)"?

Brad Sallows said:
Surely no-one wants to pass up an opportunity to nickname a building "National Defence Homeless Quarters (NDHQ)"?

That is an instant classic.

We had some of them show up at the Troy Armoury (North Bay) a few years back, our RSM went out and introduced himself...they left shortly after that. Don't know what he said but  whatever it was it worked.

Its a shame how uninformed people are, I am a civilian but I try to be as educated as possible as one can be essentially, I take most news on tv with a grain of salt, and the hippies dont even get me started. Halifax is a military town and we even have those filth here.

For example, that one weekend where two Canadians were killed by a suicide bomber i believe it was in July (I'm sorry the names escape me for that I truely apologise ) I placed a red rose on our Canadian War Memorial in Halifax with a small card that said "Thank you, you fight so that others may live" and I went back a hour later ( the hippies had finished their march i waited for them to be done befor placing the flower on the memorial ) after a hour it was gone...... I looked all round incase the wind took it ... no such luck it was all out plain as day taken from the memorial. I was so mad I felt a hate crime comming on.

But those are the people we live with, oh and those F*ckwits who say "But we are peacekeepers" that one is always a laugh.
I'm sorry as a new member I shouldnt be so bold with my words, but I feel very strongly about this, not because I'm a wanabe soldier or any such foolishness but be it a RCR or Royal Canadian Dragoon in the Boer war, or a Soldier stuck in the mud at passchendale right up to and including my great uncle killed at Cambrais at age 18, my old mans father who served aboard the HMCS Georgian in the battle of the atlantic, my moms old man who was a RCAF communications operator, and our guys over in Afghanistan right now, I am truely thankfull and wish to show it.

Why is that so hard for hippies to grasp?

Colin P said:
Practise bayonet drill outside the armoury  ;)

Well, I understand that the QOR was doing machine gun drills in the back parking lot at one point last year, which drew plenty of nasty letters...

wotan said:
"Every day is tragic in Afghanistan," said organizer Matthew Behrens. "The fact people who are not Canadian soldiers may be killed is also tragic."

Is this guy kidding or on drugs?  Would he prefer that only Canadian soldiers died?  The fact that people that are not Canadian soldiers (aka Taliban) are dying is a good thing.  It is called the path to victory.  Dolt.

*Edited for spelling - it's my third Monday this week.

Because lord knows, the only people getting killed in Afghanistan that aren't Canadian soldiers are the Taliban, right?

While I don't support his ends, I think you've jumped a little far in your conclusions.

What gets me is how the hippies are bombarding MPA while ignoring the new condos and lofts that are being built in the buildings just to the south, east and west of it.  My brother lives in that area (Richmond and Adelade to be exact) in an old town house (built circa 1900), and his neighbour recently sold his for close to 700k (i believe).  I lived there this summer and was always surprised by the juxtaposition of just how close these two areas are and the total disparity in the level of income. 

Anyway, i digress.  Houses not Bombs (or whatever) is a fringe group, it wouldn't surprise me if their total number of members is less than a thousand.  They also have no real connections to reality.  MPA could be turned into affordable housing, but it probably wouldn't be the best solution.  what they should be doing is looking at the other warehouse type buildings that are slated to become lofts, perhaps they can buy it and turn it into something... oh wait, they don't have money do they? 

And speaking of hippie morons.  The other day while I was walking in downtown peterborugh I notice a couple young hippies walking ahead of me (about 15 metres or so).  they walked past a community events board that was plastered with posters and the like.  I was somewhat perplexed when I saw them stop in their tracks, and pull down a poster.  They crumpled it, discarded it on the ground and started walking.  This piqued my interest and I found the 'offending' poster thinking it was something racist or otherwise truly obscene.  To my shock and dismay I discovered it was a poster that said "Support our troops" and some generic statement about giving hell in Afghanistan.  Obviously I was pissed off, and thankfully I had my wits about me.  The hippies were still about 15 or so metres ahead of me so I ran and caught up to them and in my most polite, yet firm voice said "Excuse me, while I understand you have the right to your opinions just remember that its the troops both past and present you just disrespected that guaranteed that right, please remember that." And I turned walked two steps and looked back "Oh and I forgot to mention, littering is bad for the environment, please recycle next time".  And with that i just walked away.

And to highlight just how immature these two hippies were, as I walked away they yelled "I don't support baby killers!"  I didn't even turn around, just smiled to myself and chuckled at their collective ignorance.

Next time run up and give them a captian kirk double leg drop kick to the back.

Glorified Ape said:
Because lord knows, the only people getting killed in Afghanistan that aren't Canadian soldiers are the Taliban, right?

While I don't support his ends, I think you've jumped a little far in your conclusions.

And that's your right to think that. 

But, before we get all weepy, be careful who you cry for.  As an example, take the case of the two kids on the motorbike popped by our troops.  Tragic case of innocents getting topped and plain as day to anyone with eyes, right?  Really?  The Taliban may not be the smartest lot, but that doesn't mean they aren't cunning.  Imagine a man on the street in Kandahar offering a few bucks and a motorbike to a couple of poor kids to get close to the Canadian troops.  Why?  Because no matter what, the Taliban wins.  If the kids are able to get close, a potentially successful tactic has been found to kill troops - use kids on motorbikes, the Canucks won't shoot.  If the kids get popped, PR success for the Taliban as they can proclaim that the Canadians are wantonly killing Afghan kids, which, while it may not play so much in the West, it certainly could play with Afghans and potential foreign insurgents.

Given a choice between my jumping to conclusions and Mr. Behrens view of the situation and, I'm sure, his attendant concern for our soldiers, I'll just keep right on hopping along, thanks anyway.

Echo9 said:
Well, I understand that the QOR was doing machine gun drills in the back parking lot at one point last year, which drew plenty of nasty letters...

We would the same thing every now and then.

Sounds like some exercises in setting up low wire entanglements would be a better pass time for the  perimeter. 
If it ever comes to pass that the armoury is forced over to them, make sure they end up taking total ownership and sign on for complete responsibility for the place.  Then they will have to pay to clean up the grounds, along with the oil dump and all the other strange crap that is probably in the ground before they can re-zone it for residential housing. 
I swear if I still lived in Toronto I don't think I would have a job right now.  :threat:

Not at all. The latest suicide vehicle bomber, while not inflicting any Canadian casualties, killed 2 afghan citizens and wounded a 3rd.

"I swear if I still lived in Toronto I don't think I would have a job right now."

- I figure you would, but, it's not much of a picture to go off of.

;D

Tom

Back