• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any favourite BMQ memories?

Like many I decided to join and am both  scared and eager to go to BMQ

so to those who finished bmq.. tell me  your best memories.. or the worse
how did it go for you... did you went to hell and back.. did you had fun..
many memories are made and i would love to hear about them.  :D

Hahaha, some stories cracked me up. Right now at CFSME and reading these with other instructors.
Did my course in late '03

Friday, Oct 31. Everyone shows up in uniform. One guy wants to leave the course, so decides to bring no kit whatsoever and be wearing his halloween costume: Robin Hood. He missed his party and had one of his own with standards.

Vandoo instructor was on diet. Each sets of jumping jacks we did were anywhere between 700 and 1300, and that continued on our SQ.

I was senior and was saying "mcpl" all weekend. On Sunday morning, Sgt asks me a question "yes, mcpl sgt!". I excused myself and he said "ok, wtf". He later asks me how my exam on weapons handling is doing. "I believe I have 1 left to do *look on paper*. 1 left to do, sgt". He gave me a piece of his mind for not knwoing his rank thinking I was checking his rank rrather than my paper. Few weeks later grad party, he offers me a job as a freelance graphic designer.

So as all BMQ course, we have some ex-cadets. one of them decides to be a smartass about it to the rest of the section, even with the instructors. It would have probably served him well if he was actually good.

during inspection, one of our space cadets from the section gets asked to "show us his warcry".
"MCPL!"
"no, a warcry. yell!"
*about as loud as i would say aaaw at a doctor's office*
instructor turns to me "show me your warcry"
(hesitant) "How do you want it Mcpl?"
"just a yell, you know, during war and you're attacking your enemies"
*insert manliest warcry a 150lb 22yo could do*
instructor turns to buddy "your turn"
"MCPL!!!!"
instructor proceeds to rest of section
The guy finished the course but quit the army right after. His name was actually pronounced hasard (in french)

Firedrill, some people actually take their time to put on their uniforms and tie their boots  :facepalm:

So we're in the classroom and instructor tells us to not write any notes and take extra attention at what he's saying. At middle of the lecture, he stops, walks to one of the candidates writing in his notebook. He picks it up and says "stupid boring course pipi caca... I want to kill myself... oh look there's a picture of a unicorn or something. you have no drawing talent" We thought he was kidding, but later found out that he was reading word for word what was written in the book. The guy did not finish his course, decided to quit after he was sent to the WO's office.

I only made it to week 4 before I got injured and put on AWT where I currently am, but that was still plenty of time to have some great stories.

During drill class two of the guys in the back start snickering and the Sgt comes over demanding to know what's so funny. The first guy refuses to say for about a minute before admitting "I passed gas." The Franco Sgt didn't understand the phrase though, so after repeating it twice more, the recruit says loudly "I FARTED, SGT." Everyone was laughing after that.

While getting jacked up for something I can't remember, the Master Seaman demanded to hear our platoon song, which at that point wasn't finished and only like 2 people knew any part of it. He demanded we sing or we'd do wall squats, so we all just automatically moved into the wall squat position. The Master Sean was blown away. "You'd rather do wall squats!? Just sing a fucking song!" So we all burst out into various renditions of happy birthday, twinkle twinkle little star, the alphabet etc, before she'll be coming round the mountain won out. He made us sing it three times before we could stand up again.

During a weekend informal inspection on I think our second weekend, one guy came out into the hallway wearing his combats and flip flops. I guess he figured since we were on our floor, flip flops were fine. We did a lot of wall squats after that.

SarahRad said:
During drill class two of the guys in the back start snickering and the Sgt comes over demanding to know what's so funny. The first guy refuses to say for about a minute before admitting "I passed gas." The Franco Sgt didn't understand the phrase though, so after repeating it twice more, the recruit says loudly "I FARTED, SGT." Everyone was laughing after that.

Lol can't stop laughing hahahahaha

BEEFY06 said:
Well i think we can all remember some good , funny and bad points. Here i will bring up what stands out the most in my mind.

___ My parents drove me to the front gate of Cornwallis in Jan/04( till this day, i still think it was the coldest winter there.) And all i can hear is this Commissioner laughing at me and saying" Looks like we got another stupid one"...

This made me laugh.  :)

BMQ will come back to haunt you!

I was in the Navy in the deep, dark past; when they called us women WRENS, when we didn't double, wore skirts, and white gloves with our summer uniforms. Really, such a time existed, and to set the record straight - I couldn't have survived the current BMQ, even when I was 18!

A few of us were in the laundry room in Conestoga Block, Cornwallis, just before Lights Out, when one of the girls started to scream! There was the white uniformed leg of a University Naval Training Division guy sticking in through the laundry room window - and the noise of several other drunk UNTDs behind him. She screamed, they all left - no report was made and no harm ensued to anyone. That was July or August, 1966.

Now I'm living in Halifax, 48 years later and one of my activities is Taoist Tai Chi. In talking to one of my instructors one day, he told me he'd been a UNTD, and further questioning revealed he'd been in Cornwallis in July and August, 1966. I asked him about the "raid" on Wren Block, and asked him if he'd been there. He answered, "No-o-o-o", in a highly suspicious manner! He lies!!!

:cdn:
Hawk

Hawk said:
Now I'm living in Halifax, 48 years later and one of my activities is Taoist Tai Chi. In talking to one of my instructors one day, he told me he'd been a UNTD, and further questioning revealed he'd been in Cornwallis in July and August, 1966. I asked him about the "raid" on Wren Block, and asked him if he'd been there. He answered, "No-o-o-o", in a highly suspicious manner! He lies!!!

:cdn:
Hawk

I think he was the leg sticking from the window lol

Sitting in a squad O Group one evening in about 6th or 7th week and dude next to me keeps falling asleep...the MBdr finally had enough, so yelled " Pte Dolt, hang from the chinup bar until I'm done!!"  Dolt gets up hangs from the bar...the Bomber rambles on.  Next thing I know, there's snoring coming from the back, the Bomber's head comes up from his notes and he absolutely snaps..."DOLT!!! WAKE THE F&^K UP!!"  We all turn and lo and behold, dude was passed out hanging from the chinup bar...his feet off the floor surprisingly.

MM

On my BMQ, while we were out in Farnham for the field portion. We had this one navy guy who dropped one of his mortar gloves in a chem toilet. Instead of filling out a lost report he decided to grab the glove and put it on. When he finally took it off and the instructors saw that his hand was stained blue, he was made to sing the smurfs theme song as a battle cry instead.

I already have a few, but I'll wait until I'm out of BMQ before spilling them on this forum.  ;D

It was a frosty Friday morning in October at St. Jean. I was at my breaking point after taking an entire week of cock as course senior. We go for PT and as we are lined up in the hall outside the PSP office I get everyone to check to make sure that nobody has forgotten their running shoes like yesterday. To my amazement we had all our kit - wait... shit I forgot to bring my track pants!

I walk into the PSP office and get the brief to give to the platoon, when they get to dress state I interrupt the PSP lady and get down on my knees and beg them to make the dress state be shorts so that I can avoid one last jacking. The course Sergeant walks in to see what is taking so long, he sees me on my knees and gives me this look. The PSP crew keeps my secret and I make up some BS excuse to the Sgt as to why it looks like I am proposing to the PSP lady.

I ran out to the hall and relayed the information about are run, and as I was jogging into the changeroom I yelled, "dress state is sweatshirt and shorts!"

There was a good deal of cursing during the run, it was only after the day was finished that I told everyone that shorts were my call not the PSP.

Ariconius said:
It was a frosty Friday morning in October at St. Jean. I was at my breaking point after taking an entire week of **** as course senior. We go for PT and as we are lined up in the hall outside the PSP office I get everyone to check to make sure that nobody has forgotten their running shoes like yesterday. To my amazement we had all our kit - wait... crap I forgot to bring my track pants!

I walk into the PSP office and get the brief to give to the platoon, when they get to dress state I interrupt the PSP lady and get down on my knees and beg them to make the dress state be shorts so that I can avoid one last jacking. The course Sergeant walks in to see what is taking so long, he sees me on my knees and gives me this look. The PSP crew keeps my secret and I make up some BS excuse to the Sgt as to why it looks like I am proposing to the PSP lady.

I ran out to the hall and relayed the information about are run, and as I was jogging into the changeroom I yelled, "dress state is sweatshirt and shorts!"

There was a good deal of cursing during the run, it was only after the day was finished that I told everyone that shorts were my call not the PSP.

So you screwed your buddies to avoid a jacking? Or am I way out of 'er? ???

I did my BMQ at CFB Esquimalt. My favourite memory was the morning run, watching the sun rise over the harbour. Made me thankful I wasn't doing morning PT in snow, like other provinces.

Inspections, Inspections, Inspections. They're a hoot…every…single…time! I really wish I would've kept a journal of the stories. I personally enjoyed inspections, because I didn't find them overly difficult/stressful. Those who were disorganized, unkempt, inept…Yeah, some great stories.

As much as I hate to admit it, yes, some of the sunrises were breathtaking. I learned to take from the beauty what I could to balance out the crap.

Food. Most meals were really pretty good.

Drill. I enjoyed drill…For the most part. (I was good at it. How do I know? Because I never got jacked up. UnTIL I was issued my C7. Drill took a nose-dive fairly quickly for a while after that…But it was still fun.) 

I know this has probably been done in just about every BMQ, but calling "group!" in the showers or $hitters.  Did it a few time on my BMQ and BMQ-L, never gets old, lol!

The morning of our grad parade, we were all still pie-eyed from our course party the night before. 0600 a garbage can is booted down the hall as usual, and we all double (stumble) down to the parade square and form up for what was looking like some enthusiastic PT. We detoured from our usual route about a minute into the run, and ended up at a Milverado stocked up with coffee and donuts. We got to shake the hangovers with the staff and watch the sunrise before final prep. It was a good day.

Two that come to mind :

1) in Farnham 2 (final weeks) a guy who wasn't coping to well went to bed in his hooch after a long day/night, and a half hour later the instructors threw up an arty sim and called 'stand to!'.  He couldn't manage to get his clothes on in a timely manner... In fact he was so slow he didn't even have clothes on after the full 20 minutes worth of sitting at defensive positions.  The great part came when the staff called for us to stand down and clear our rifles : while everyone else was using the clearing bays, he just gave up on getting dressed, so he started to potato sac hop his way over to the clearing bays - naked, with a rifle on his back, and his sleeping bag pulled up to his tits.    The instructors lost it on him... He tried hoping by them but they screamed at him so bad the CDS in Ottawa probably heard it lol.  :)

2) Getting back from Farnham,  a week away from graduating, and it is time to walk over to the drill hall to start to practice for our parade.  Seconds before we march, it goes from sunny and beautiful to rain and eventually to hail so hard it's cutting our faces and we are soaked to the bone including socks.  As we arrive within steps of the drill hall the weather turns back to normal, complete with shining sun and birds chirping.  Great way to wrap up the 3 months. 

3 - bonus memory)  the friggin' vending machines.... So many times being ripped off by those damn things. 

I must say, I really enjoyed reading all this...here are a few of my most memorable moments about basic (hoping to revive this thread)

Back in 2002...Section standing at attention while Mcpl is inspecting the bathrooms...
All we could hear was : WHAT THE Fu*k!!! WHAT THE Fu*K!! .....(Swearing went on and on...)
then we see the Mcpl coming out of the bathroom holding something in his hand : WHO THE Fu*k LEFT A PUBIC HAIR ON THE TOILET??!!
we paid for it

We had a guy on the course who's a sleep walker. One night, fire-picket saw him showering with his combats on...woke up wondering why he was wet. Same dude crawled in the course officer's houtch to sleep beside him...
I think this guy's army career was very short since he was a potential threat to himself and to others.

Had a guy in my section who slept with his eyes open....quiet freaky

Back