• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

any RCRs on Forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, I hear us referred to as Royals pretty much all the time, I didn't think it really mattered. Hell, my neighbour from back home calls me a Royal everytime I see him. And well, he served in 1RCR during WWII. But anyways, that's a whole different discussion.

Pro Patria!

Formerly of 1RCR...now in purgatory!

Cheers,
Mike

I was very blessed as a Reservist to have RCR RSS's during my time in the Highlanders, alot of them had started with the NSH and had come back over the years. I would like to share memories with anyone here of some of these fine men. The wisdom and experience these men passed on was invaluable to a young infanteer even though I hated RCR kit inspections!

I can recall several of them who were my staff during QL2/3 and I will never forget them.

Cheers!

Hi There...I guess I was blessed with having served as an infanteer in a number of Regiments and Battalions in both the Reserve and Regular force.

Essex and Kent Scottish - Windsor, Ontario
3rd Bn Royal Canada Regiment - Petawawa, Ontario
1st Bn PPCLI - Calgary, Alberta
Calgary Highlanders, Calgary, Alberta

My time with the RCR was definately memorable and enjoyable...having gone to Fort Benning, GA and Cyprus 76-77 with them. It was probably the best time I had in the service. :cdn:

AntiArmour Guy said:
Pro Patria!

Formerly of 1RCR...now in purgatory!

Cheers,
Mike

hey mercava its called dukes coy, not alpha coy in 1rcr,ex member of dukes coy,!rcr recce(echo coy).ALWAY REMEMBER TROOPS, RUNNING'S FOR FAGS REAL MEN CARRY RUCKSACKS....

Hey Yeoman, "Charles Coy" you must be 1Bn The RCR. I went from Support Coy 1Bn The RCR to Charley Coy 2Bn The RCR and then the the 1st Bn came over and we became "Charles Coy". Hey it worked we rubbed in everybodys face.

When did 2 RCR ever have a "Charley Company"? The second Company in 2 RCR has always been Hotel Company as far as I can tell.

Alex

Owned.  Better hit the Regimental history books.  :D

Anyone know when 2, 3 and 4 RCR went to their current Coy lettering system then? Regimental Rogue?

Alex

From the latest edition of the Regimental Standing Orders (Interim, 2003):

"In July 1970, when the Regiment began lettering its companies in a sequential manner across all battalions, A Company became a unique subunit of the 1st Battalion. As the right flank of the 1st Battalion, it was designated "The Duke of Edinburgh's Company" on 16 July 1978."

Some more trivia. A book written by Stanley McKeown Brown in 1900 and titled "With the Royal Canadians" is his story of the 2nd Bn Royal Canadian Infantry Regiment in South Africa. Mr. Brown who served with the unit and continually refers to them as Royal Canadians as does Lieutenant General J.E. Vance a former Colonel of the Regiment in his forward to the republished edition of the book in 2000. At this time the battalion consisted of eight companies designated A through H.

This is all very facinating...

...but what about the lanyard!!!  For Chrissakes that was the only reason I became a Royal......errrrr Canadian.

:D

I can't remember how many people I've asked about the Lanyard, I've never really got a straight answer. Sure I have the rough idea, but no specific dates or anything. Anyone here know exactly the story behind it?

There is no story behind the lanyard, it's an urban myth and one that's been bashed around on the forum a few times:

Lanyards --   http://army.ca/forums/threads/17401.0.html
Lanyards --   http://army.ca/forums/threads/6042.0.html
Lanyards --   http://army.ca/forums/threads/8347.0.html
Lanyards - which side is battle honour/dishonour?    --   http://army.ca/forums/threads/3066.0.html

Don't you think if there really was a 'story' then it would actually be recorded somewhere and people would be able to quote chapter and verse, specifying exactly what incident it might be related to.

Sometimes a lanyard is just a whistle cord.

thought it looked pretty interesting in here.   RCR's everywhere... seemed like the best place to say hello.   Former First and Third Battallion here.   Tell the gang at Yogi's Willy says "Hi"

I spent a Flyover as an Army Cadet for the Reforger Fall Ex with 3 RCR in 1980.  It was a darn fine unit and well prepared for the crisis in Poland which heated up that fall.  :warstory: The RCR is an excellent unit and would be a good choice for anyone aspiring to a career in the infantry.
Of course, when someone asks you what the finest unit in the CF order of battle is the answer should be easy:
"The one I'm in!", regardless of where you are posted.  :salute:

Redleafjumper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back