• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anyone who was in Lahr...

Brat56

Inactive
Reaction score
Might find this interesting. It makes me very sad to see how run down the Caserne is.
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=nWc7U1iaPx0

Well.  If you want to vandalize something, you shouldn't film yourself doing so.

2:05

Lahr Senior School on the left (my grade 8 classroom, top right corner of building) and Lahr Intermediate on the right. Langenhard in the background.

How friggin' depressing.  :-[

I just showed this to my friend who lived there in between 75 and 85 and she is in tears.  How could things have gotten that bad.

Actually you can see what remains of the GGV playground  :p, being trash at the end by a kick and the hard plastic cover that was attached to the GGV primary school, although it is sad and I did had couples of tears watching this, I still will not believe it until I can see it from my own eyes and by doing so being able to " turn half the page" on it. I  say half because I will never forget all these years over there, kid and a young teen.

A trip next summer maybe...and of course a stop at the Europa Park  ;D

CHIMO

Etienne 

I watched an episode of 'Don't Forget Your Passport,' a Canadian tourism show a couple of weeks ago that featured Lahr as she passed through Germany. During the segment on Lahr I believe (and I may be mistaken, as it has been a couple weeks since I saw the episode) it was stated that there is only one building from the base that is still being used today.

Midget

A buddy of mine went back a couple of years, and I think he said that most of the hangers are in use.  I'll have to give him a call to confirm, and I know he has some pictures which I'll try to post.

http://www.derkanadier.de/English/FrameSeite2engl/FrameSeite2engl.html

The "No words" hyperlink includes a tonne of pics as well; this is still depressing!!  :-[

George Wallace said:
Well.  If you want to vandalize something, you shouldn't film yourself doing so.

News clips from wayback ----- http://www.derkanadier-lahr.de/index.html

I go back every couple of years.......Lots of changes. 
The "New Barracks" are now a Hotel, if I understand right.

There are still a lot of things still standing, and in use by various companies.  The city is changing, as most places do.  It is when you return, that you will notice all the changes, just as you do here after being away for a long period. 

You will be surprised at how many traffic lights have been replaced by traffic circles around Lahr.

Perhaps someone would like to form a Film Company and start a TV Series of 4 CMBG and refurbish the Kaserne to its' former glory........

Re: Don't Forget Your Passport,

The producer of this show is Gord Seville a Lahrbrat who I went to school with in Lahr.... some may remember his father who was a dentist on the base?

Etienne said:
A trip next summer maybe...and of course a stop at the Europa Park  ;D

CHIMO

Etienne 

Damn. I still have the requisite pic of me coming down the log ride. Have you seen that place lately!!?? We linked to it on the site here a few months ago -- you'll not recognize the joint at all.

But heck, it's still in Rust at least - I could still probably find my way there blindfolded.

ArmyVern said:
But heck, it's still in Rust at least - I could still probably find my way there blindfolded.
You were a townie over there, weren't you?  I lived way up in the hills in Seelbach..."Rust", to me, was WAY far away.

Still, even though I lived there as a civvy, I did get to the Kaserne every once in a while (including the CYC).  Pretty sad to see it in that shape...

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
You were a townie over there, weren't you?  I lived way up in the hills in Seelbach..."Rust", to me, was WAY far away.

Still, even though I lived there as a civvy, I did get to the Kaserne every once in a while (including the CYC).  Pretty sad to see it in that shape...

Hey; what's worng with Seelbach.... that's where I lived on my 2nd tour, the first was even further out in the sticks in Dorlinbach....

My Dad was in 4 Svc Bn 74-78. For the first year we lived out in Dorlinbach, but in '75 we moved into Area 31.
I went to Gutenburg and West-End. I loved going onto Base on Satudaysand having dinner at the Sally Ann, and a movie at the Globe.

ArmyVern said:
Langenhard.

How friggin' depressing.  :-[

Now there is a depressing place, weirdest water table in the world..... Dig a trench at the top of the hill and it floods out, dig a trench at the bottom of the hill and it's bone dry.....

dscn0386.jpg

So, is this where they stored the WO's and Snr Offrs during off hours?

Jammer said:
My Dad was in 4 Svc Bn 74-78. For the first year we lived out in Dorlinbach, but in '75 we moved into Area 31.

I lived in are 31 in '75

Back