• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

Agree with FSTO here. The reason the Dutch can have J. Support S. is because they otherwise have actual amphibs, which are complemented and supported by said JSS.

If you don'y have amphibs to start with, then forget the JSS's and go for full AOR's where fleet support is concerned.

Or the government could buy Marine Atlantic another 4 RoPax ferries like the Highlanders for use on the East Coast and a couple more for BC Ferries for the West Coast. We subsidize the rides in any case. Let them ride half full. If necessary you can then pull half the fleet out of service without inconveniencing the civvies and ship your Leos and LAVs to St Petersburg (Riga if you prefer).

Add RCN Reservists to drive them and also to man the SeaCans on deck with the Air Defence and EW stuff.

IMG_0558%2BHighlanders.jpg

That stern looks like it could be converted to create a flight deck and hangar.

Commercial ships of that sort seem to coast 100 to 200 MUSD each or so. Highlanders cost 84 M Euro to build in 2007

And Stena, DFDS and Maersk carry a lot of military cargo across the North and Baltic Seas. A similar ferry carried Paras to the Falklands.

Last edited:
Or, we could be good allies and partners and get the second Asterix, with the X 2 JSS, and help out.

Maybe Davie will approach the US navy about it when the RCN is done with Asterix. They could operate contract services with a full civilian crew something like the Omega air tankers.

i
Maybe Davie will approach the US navy about it when the RCN is done with Asterix. They could operate contract services with a full civilian crew something like the Omega air tankers.
I think the Jones Act maybe a problem here. Maybe not. I think if you are selling them gas and fuel etc. It would be ok. Would have to go back to a Canadian port on the start or end each tour I think. No trsnsshipping allowed. Or anything that could be called cabbage. But then again if the ship is a CFAV civilian ship its a foreign warship and no Jones act problems.

Or the government could buy Marine Atlantic another 4 RoPax ferries like the Highlanders for use on the East Coast and a couple more for BC Ferries for the West Coast. We subsidize the rides in any case. Let them ride half full. If necessary you can then pull half the fleet out of service without inconveniencing the civvies and ship your Leos and LAVs to St Petersburg (Riga if you prefer).

Add RCN Reservists to drive them and also to man the SeaCans on deck with the Air Defence and EW stuff.

IMG_0558%2BHighlanders.jpg

That stern looks like it could be converted to create a flight deck and hangar.

Commercial ships of that sort seem to coast 100 to 200 MUSD each or so. Highlanders cost 84 M Euro to build in 2007

And Stena, DFDS and Maersk carry a lot of military cargo across the North and Baltic Seas. A similar ferry carried Paras to the Falklands.
it makes perfect sense from the military perspective. as most of our government have no military perspective, they will not see the sense...........

it makes perfect sense from the military perspective. as most of our government have no military perspective, they will not see the sense...........
I made the mistake last night of reading the comments section on a CBC article relating to what we're doing in Latvia..

Holy s**t 😳

Don't, I repeat, DO NOT READ THE COMMENT SECTION in any article that even references the Canadian Armed Forces...your brain cells will thank you

I made the mistake last night of reading the comments section on a CBC article relating to what we're doing in Latvia..

Holy s**t 😳

Don't, I repeat, DO NOT READ THE COMMENT SECTION in any article that even references the Canadian Armed Forces...your brain cells will thank you

Corollary: Never read /r/CanadianForces

Holy s**t 😳

I always read a bit just for fun. I always regret it.

Good on ya Asterix!

When the first AOR goes into service, make a purchase agreement to take her into government service and send her into refit, then man her with a mixed Civilian/military crew as part of the RCFA.

Back