• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

Pat in Halifax said:
Did a tour this morning-It is so new, you can still smell the fresh paint (rather than that boiled dirty laundry smell all Navy ships seem to have). Built to civilian standards, there are some interesting layout and procedural differences (MCR is right behind the Bridge 5 decks up).  Upper decks have a wide open space between the Bridge and the fuelling stations that can hold up to 28 (14 stacked 2 high) containers. I also saw a spot forward of the fuelling station where our designers will probably try to stuff a kingpost in. Hanger is huge and the flight deck is the size of the dkyd gym.
The tour was unfortunately restricted to open common spaces but it was definitely interesting. Crew of approx. 150 but bunk space for up to 250, two huge 28 ton cranes, 3 high speed rescue craft and 4 x 27 mm rapid fire-high velocity guns (but I see those not being fitted on an RCN version). 20000 tonnes and max speed in excess of 21 knots from 2 X 10000 hp diesels (CRP propellers) with 4 X 1200 kW DGs for PG&D. Surprisingly, the main engines are not in acoustic enclosures (which I am sure makes maintenance MUCH easier).
I guess BONN was just commissioned in Sep last year but the class has been around for over 10 years (2 previous of the class)-It would be interesting to get on board one of the old 'used' ones to see what was learned and changed on this one.

Pat

Did you notice if there was a cargo elevator that ran to the same level as the flight deck? That our flight deck and cargo deck are not the same is a huge issue with our AOR's.

Actually, I didn't notice but there are cargo hatches open to the replenishment position. The hangar was 'done up' for some sort of reception with the bunting up and I got the impression we were not to look behind it. That would be a good question to raise though. There are layout drawings floating around now and I will see if I can find one and have a look.
One thing I forgot though, there is an actual elevater from the just outside the bridge to all the accomodation levels...a real elevator!

Thanks for the info. I would like to see the layout when it comes available. Would it be online?

An elevator for people, wow! Maybe that would put to bed forever the idea of the 'BATTLETANKER" the most asinine idea ever in the annals of the RCN.

Pat in Halifax said:
MCR is right behind the Bridge 5 decks up

Wow, they'll have to watch you MSE types for signs of altitude sickness for the first little while after we get the ships.  ;)

Pat,  mentioned that she was built to civillian standards. From your brief tour were you able to get a feel for her DC capabilities or lack of them?

There were fitted fire suppression systems everywhere including at the fuelling position (AFFF I assume). This was something discussed when I was working CSC; having fitted systems with remote cameras to act as boundaries. One thing I did notice is that other than EEBDs (or the German Navy version of them), there was really nothing in the main passageway(s). Bunker gear, MSAs, hoses, nozzles, AFFF, extinguishers etc were all in side passages. A lot of remote monitoring equipment. This was one of the reasons I would like to have seen one of the other two ships of this class-That said, I can only assume that lessons learned were incorporated into BONN.
Hard to explain but I like the way their boat decks were arranged (Yes, this from a stoker!). There is a central stairway in the superstructure with dressing areas at various landings. If for example a fast rescue craft is being launched, the appropriate people report to a specific landing, dress and step out the door into the boat. There is also the wide open area in front of the Bridge and if not carrying too many containers I see an optimum locale for an RPC in a foreign port!! I am trying to remember but I think their fuel load out was 150 cums of F44 and 10000 cums F76. I don't actually know how this compares to PRO class...anyone?

Doing a quick mental conversion of cums to tons, I would say avgas is about the same but Navy distillate is only about 2/3rds of a PRO capacity.

I guess that will mean more consolidation RAS. Yippee!!!

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Doing a quick mental conversion of cums to tons, I would say avgas is about the same but Navy distillate is only about 2/3rds of a PRO capacity.

I guess that will mean more consolidation RAS. Yippee!!!
It's 1/10 of JP5 unless 150 is a typo and you mean 1500 cums and it is 2/3 of distillate.  It will all depend upon how much they can deliver before they get into stability issues as it with PRO class.  If they can go lower, then it should not mean too much of change.  Didn't get a chance to see BONN but I sure wanted to.  Maybe next time.

You're right JJ.

Brain cramp on my part: I guess it did not make sense to me that they would only carry 1/10 th the avgas, so I "multiplied by ten" when I shouldn't have. After all, all their frigates and destroyers carry helicopters.

Could have been a misunderstanding on my part and I meant to ask the question again as 150 cums JP5 is not much when supporting a TG. There are GAs out there but there is still a security issue so we will have to hold off for a bit for more detail.

Re: Fuel capacity

Does this help? From Naval Technology

A single Berlin-class can transport 9,600 cubic meters of fuel, 550 cubic meters of water, 160t of ammunition, 280t of food, 100t of dry stores and 32 containers.

Cross-posting this update from another thread to a topic where it's just as relevant:

CBC

Canada's navy looks to fill fleet gap with purchase from U.S.
Canada's 2 supply ships were forced into retirement earlier this month

The Royal Canadian Navy may purchase a soon-to-be retired ship from the U.S. to replace its two supply vessels forced into retirement, since a Canadian government ship-building program has been delayed by several years, CBC News has learned.

The navy is counting on the government to deliver new ships as part of the National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy, Vice-Admiral Mark Norman, commander of the Canadian navy, said at a news conference on Friday.

But that program is not expected to deliver new supply ships until the end of the decade.

With the navy's only two supply ships forced into unscheduled early retirement this month, Norman said the navy is now considering other options to fill the gap.

Norman would not say what those options are, but CBC News has learned one of them is a plan to secure access to a surplus U.S. navy supply ship.

(...EDITED)

http://www.usmilitaryart.com/Aoe8-dc-mini.jpg

Behold in all it's resuppling awesomeness!!

What names would you assign USNS Bridge and Rainier in RCN service HMCS Keystone and Hibernia perhaps?

Would the size of these ships present any difficulty in Halifax and Esquimalt?
                    Supply vs Protecteur
Displacement 49600t vs 24700t
Length            230m vs 172m
Beam            32.6m vs 23.2m
Draft                12m vs 10.1m

ringo said:
What names would you assign USNS Bridge and Rainier in RCN service HMCS Keystone and Hibernia perhaps?

HMCS Makedo and HMCS Tideusover.

Back